PDA

View Full Version : C-47 Skytrain with classic GCA

mjahn
January 27th, 2019, 03:15
http://imghst.co/92/H9VZ88UsnY.png

Picture says (almost) all. Just uploaded, check it out under "New" in the Library.

Not yet available for the Vintage VC (VVC) Dakota, or for any other planes, but we are working on it.

From the release blurb:

This is a standalone airplane folder containing a new version of the FSX/P3D 'Modern VC' Skytrain. It comes with two experimental gauges that provide basic GCA (Ground Controlled Approach) services - Approach Pattern Control and final Precision Approach Radar (PAR). You can request Pattern Control from 15 to 30 miles out. The Controller will speak to you and set you up for a downwind, dogleg, or straight-in approach leading to a point eight miles from the runway at the correct altitude for intercepting the glideslope. At the intercept, the Precision Approach Controller will take over and talk you down to the runway threshold. The two processes can be run in auto or in manual mode, the monitoring panels can be enabled or disabled, and autopilot assistance can be turned on or off. As a consequence, exciting realism challenges are possible, including hands-on approaches flown in proverbial pea-soup weather. The project is hugely indebted to Karol Chlebowski's powerful AILA (Airborne Instrument Landing Approach) gauge, adapted by permission of the author, and Doug Dawson's equally powerful sound DLL gauge. The package includes a revised interior model and a classic Airways and Air Communications Service (AACS) livery by Manfred Jahn, a historical account of GCA by Tom Harnish, and a six-page PDF manual. For a brief preview, see Tom's W.I.P. video at https://youtu.be/w0ch4W26eYw. If desired, the model and panel folders can be merged into a previous MVC Skytrain installation.

SSI01
January 27th, 2019, 05:25
YES!! At long last something that can replicate blind-as-a-bat approaches to touchdown. Just like in "The Big Lift." Many thanks to all!

Bruce66
January 27th, 2019, 05:30
Now this is exciting!

Can't wait to try this out (computer is under repair - shame).

pbearsailor
January 27th, 2019, 05:56
Yes!!!!

thanks so much.

Mike71
January 27th, 2019, 06:13
YES!! At long last something that can replicate blind-as-a-bat approaches to touchdown. Just like in "The Big Lift." Many thanks to all!
Military GCAs (technically a PAR - Precision Approach Radar) minimums were at best 200 ft AGL / 1/2 nm minimums to the best of my knowledge.

tailspin45
January 27th, 2019, 07:38
Military GCAs (technically a PAR - Precision Approach Radar) minimums were at best 200 ft AGL / 1/2 nm minimums to the best of my knowledge.
Except when lives depended on it. At least one zero-zero landing was accomplished, in a C-124, when weather was so bad they shut down on the runway and the Follow-Me jeep ran into the nosewheel.

https://disciplesofflight.com/zero-zero/

And, technically, PAR is the equipment that makes a GCA procedure possible. It's a common misuse of a noun as a verb, even the FAA does it.

Mike71
January 27th, 2019, 08:25
Except when lives depended on it. At least one zero-zero landing was accomplished, in a C-124, when weather was so bad they shut down on the runway and the Follow-Me jeep ran into the nosewheel.

https://disciplesofflight.com/zero-zero/

And, technically, PAR is the equipment that makes a GCA procedure possible. It's a common misuse of a noun as a verb, even the FAA does it.

minimums are minimums - having to understandably bust them doesn't change the minimums.

I never requested or heard anyone else request a GCA. It was always requesting a PAR.

Navy Chief
January 27th, 2019, 08:33
I was at the Naval Aviation Museum Library last week, trying to get information on PAR equipment. There used to be a PAR trailer on the edge of the airfield, but was told it was scrapped years ago. I plan on another trip down to KNPA soon (only 40 minute drive) to the ATC school to see if they have some historical info. Am betting they do. NC

speedy70
January 27th, 2019, 09:20
Well when is it going to be available to download?

Cheers chris

banjoman1960
January 27th, 2019, 09:28
Well when is it going to be available to download?

Cheers chris

it is:wavey:

speedy70
January 27th, 2019, 09:57
Thanks Manfred.
Cheers Chris

MrZippy
January 27th, 2019, 10:05
Got it! Thanks, Manfred!:applause:

SkippyBing
January 27th, 2019, 10:48
minimums are minimums - having to understandably bust them doesn't change the minimums.

I never requested or heard anyone else request a GCA. It was always requesting a PAR.

At the RN's more westerly airfield* it was not unusual for Hawks returning from playing at attacking ships in the English Channel to call 'visual, continue talk-down' as they passed minimums. Understandable really as Newquay is a complete dump even when it is available as a diversion.

*Frequently subject to 30kt fogs due to geography.

pbearsailor
January 27th, 2019, 16:27
Crashing P3D for me so far. P3D 4.4 and I have changed the panel cfg to the 64 bit version. Crashes the sim a few minutes after loading, with or without using the GCA panels. Tried my other C-47's and they are running just fine. Stumped so far.

steve

simtech
January 27th, 2019, 19:45
:jump: Manfred, Running FSX-A boxed and your latest jewel works like a charm. I've tried both phases, the GCA and PAR and they both work flawlessly. About 20 years ago I performed a "simulated PAR approach" with an instructor pilot into an Alaskan air base. Your program quickly brought back the aching fingers, sweaty palms and rapid heart beat. This is such a joy to behold and extremely realistic. I took the visibility down to one-eighth of a mile and your application brought it down..spot on.. Great job to you and your team...I can not imagine the many long hours you and your team must have labored... Hopefully, some of the "newer heads" will get an idea what "ole school" used to be about and how fortunate aviation and innovation has progressed. Thank you very very much. Blue skies..fair winds.. Terry

mjahn
January 27th, 2019, 23:32
Guys, thanks very much for the feedback.

Meanwhile, Tom has posted an extended version of his tutorial video (10 minutes) here: https://youtu.be/MkCGDW1idm8

Crashing P3D for me so far. P3D 4.4 and I have changed the panel cfg to the 64 bit version. Crashes the sim a few minutes after loading, with or without using the GCA panels. Tried my other C-47's and they are running just fine. Stumped so far.
steve

Steve, don't have 4.4 myself, but Ralf (banjoman) has it running on 4.4. Are you flying the MVC Skytrain straight out of the box? When you click APC or PAR in Monitor, even on the ground, do you get Alice's and Alan's voices? And could you make a screenshot of the Monitor panel, maybe we can gather some critical info from there. On an off chance You could also try Doug Dawson's revised p3d v4 sound gauge from this temp zip https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmol8dgd4zx0jfj/P3d4paneltweak.zip?dl=0 (copy the dll and use the included panel.cfg).

Cheers, Manfred

DaveWG
January 28th, 2019, 01:18
First time I tried it in P3dv4.4 I got a CTD when clicking on the ILS gauge, but second time it worked flawlessly.

YoYo
January 28th, 2019, 01:50
Not yet available for the Vintage VC (VVC) Dakota, or for any other planes, but we are working on it.

Pretty Please!!! :wavey:

banjoman1960
January 28th, 2019, 04:43

steve

Hi Steve,

i download and test the plane from soh,only change the panel.cfg to 64 bit,load a few flights from KVPS,no saved flight,all went well,no ctd.
i did a few takeoff and landings using GCA.......all work fine

as a betatester i did all testing in 4.4

cheers Ralf

P3Dv4.4,Intel i7-7700K, 4x 4,5GHz,ASUS Strix Z270F,GeForce GTX 1080 Ti,16GB DDR4-2400, Corsair LPX,500GB Samsung 960 Evo SSD,W 10 Home 64 Bit, DE

vortex
January 28th, 2019, 06:46

Sorry to ask again, but just to avoid confusion is this still the case?

pbearsailor
January 28th, 2019, 08:29
Thanks for the help Manfred and Ralf.

Ralf, running same P3D V4.4.16.27077 as you are.

Manfred, yes straight out of the box MVC Skytrain, do get both voices. Just tried it again and everything worked fine but it crashed again right after landing. At least I got to see just how fantastic this is and I am so impressed. I'll try Doug's sound gauge and attached panel cfg and report back.

On one of my cross country flights while getting my instrument rating way back in 1976 we tried to get a practice PAR approach but the controller was too busy. Opportunity never came again. Thanks for making it virtually possible.

cheers,
steve :wavey:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66808&stc=1

banjoman1960
January 28th, 2019, 08:54
hi Steve.
have you exclude p3d folder and p3d exe from antivirus?
also run r3d as admin?

also you can try to remove the 32 bit dlls from panelfolder,
i have only this in the gca folder,the other are only 32bit and do not work,i do not know if the sim read them and if that cause trouble,but i like to be safe and want my sim clean

mjahn
January 28th, 2019, 08:59
You are very welcome, hope we can find a cause for this issue. Nothing untoward that I can see in your screenshot, except maybe that you seem to be moving at 10 knots with the parking brake set? But that can't be it... try Ralf's suggestion. The plain dsd_battery_charger and the window_status can be deleted as well.

pbearsailor
January 28th, 2019, 10:15
Thanks again for the help, Manfred and Ralf.

With the linked sound gauge I was able to make an approach and landing, but I CTD'd the instant I tried to make a setting on the monitor (probably cowl flaps but don't think that mattered).
Good news is that after deleting all the 32 bit files in the panel folder I have not gotten another CTD. Just made two approaches that way but it looks hopeful and I'll keep testing.

Being able to make an approach to a 2000 foot long airport in the weather is just amazing to me! To have had that in the real world!

cheers,

banjoman1960
January 28th, 2019, 10:25
Thanks again for the help, Manfred and Ralf.

With the linked sound gauge I was able to make an approach and landing, but I CTD'd the instant I tried to make a setting on the monitor (probably cowl flaps but don't think that mattered).
Good news is that after deleting all the 32 bit files in the panel folder I have not gotten another CTD. Just made two approaches that way but it looks hopeful and I'll keep testing.

Being able to make an approach to a 2000 foot long airport in the weather is just amazing to me! To have had that in the real world!

cheers,

glad this work for you,thank´s for report

Have fun !!!
cheers ralf

pbearsailor
January 29th, 2019, 08:22
Just a little update on my issues. Since deleting the 32 bit files from my panel folder I have not had another CTD—it’s all worked perfectly.

This is is a fabulous addition to the C-47 and I thank all of you involved for making it happen. Never been so close to being Ernie. :jump:

Steve

mjahn
January 29th, 2019, 08:31
Thank you Steve, fingers crossed that it'll continue to be stable using that setup.

Just a brief update at this point, we found that the wav file issuing the call "above glidepath" is garbled, so here is a quick patch:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e51lbsgunfc9mcz/GCA_above.zip?dl=0

Simply copy the .wav to panel.GCA\DGSounds\GCA

The portover to the VVC Dak is in the testing phase, and the portover to other types of planes is also progressing nicely.

pbearsailor
January 30th, 2019, 15:15
Gauge hidden and autopilot off for me now. It's a nice challenge to hand fly.

A question on initial altitudes: is altitude coded MSL or AGL? Works great at sea level airports but at higher elevation airports it seems to give an initial altitude that is far too low. Example is Spokane, WA Felts at around 2000 feet, I'm given an initial altitude of 2600 feet, far too low, and the final controller seems to say approaching glidepath initially, but then says correctly well below glidepath.

cheers,

mjahn
January 31st, 2019, 00:32
A question on initial altitudes: is altitude coded MSL or AGL? Works great at sea level airports but at higher elevation airports it seems to give an initial altitude that is far too low. Example is Spokane, WA Felts at around 2000 feet, I'm given an initial altitude of 2600 feet, far too low, and the final controller seems to say approaching glidepath initially, but then says correctly well below glidepath.

Make sure you actively select the runway you want to use in the AILA panel, then double check. I just went to Felts and got 4500 intercept altitude (ASL) alright, which is what the APC controller uses. The AILA panel displays S- Ht=Surface Height=AGL.

MrZippy
January 31st, 2019, 12:03
Just did my first successful Approach Control and PAR into Nellis AFB. I was just using the actual weather conditions so visibility was good. Everyone was right on the money all the way down to "over the runway" and touchdown. Maybe I'll set up a foggy condition next time. :applause: