PDA

View Full Version : Alton Bay ice airport opens

johannesl
January 24th, 2019, 14:19
I just read that Alton Bay Seaplane Base in New Hampshire is now open as an ice airport (the only charted one), and, ice willing, it will be until March 15th. I did a quick look to see if anyone had recreated this as an ice airport and didn't find one. It might be kind of fun and different.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66722&stc=1

stearmandriver
January 24th, 2019, 14:55
Very cool, thanks for posting!

FlyingsCool
January 24th, 2019, 17:39
I could swear either I created one or I found one. I'll take a look and see if I can find it.

mgchrist5
January 25th, 2019, 02:47
I did a quick look to see if anyone had recreated this as an ice airport and didn't find one.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2019/january/23/ice-runway-opens-for-season

You read my mind! I just saw the article in the weekly AOPA emailer and wondered the exact same thing.

Same as you, my search of Google and the usual FS sites using variations of 'B18 Alton Bay' revealed nothing in terms of scenery. I did find an old Avsim forum post from waaaay back in 2006 from someone who was looking for beta testers for a scenery pack they were working on that included B18...but nothing beyond that single post.

rtoolooze
January 25th, 2019, 04:52
That would cool!

sidler
January 25th, 2019, 07:04
That would be awesome! I flew in there years ago in an Aeronca Champ 7DC...………...

johannesl
January 25th, 2019, 10:06
I'm not sure if you can make an "ice" runway in FSX or an icey hard surface runway laid over the water.

blanston12
January 25th, 2019, 10:14
I am pretty sure that 'ice' is an allowed surface type for runways in FS.

tgycgijoes
January 25th, 2019, 11:11
I just opened up a little airport in ADE176 just to see what surfaces are allowed for a runway and ICE is there as a choice so go for it. I'll be watching this thread. What lands on it skis?

srgalahad
January 25th, 2019, 17:21
I just opened up a little airport in ADE176 just to see what surfaces are allowed for a runway and ICE is there as a choice so go for it. I'll be watching this thread. What lands on it skis?

Skis or wheels. Remember the braking action is minimal to none. Had an adventure in Antarctica when a/c at rest would blow off the runway.
Floats work ok in RL too

johannesl
January 25th, 2019, 20:17
I made a quick and dirty Alton Bay Airport. The only real issue is that in FSX the difference between snow and ice is so slight that you can barely see the runway while sitting on it.

Also to the point about breaking effectiveness should be added that this one is relatively short at 2730'.

PhantomTweak
January 25th, 2019, 22:35
Nice place for a plane with an effective Beta :encouragement:
THAT'S some good braking! Otherwise, you have to just watch how far you will travel with power off, and plan stops, turns, etc accordingly.
And watch those winds!!

Have fun, all!
Pat☺

Brian_Gladden
January 26th, 2019, 03:01
Alton Bay is fairly close to me (if three hours drive is close) and I've been by there in the summer. I would assume that in the winter they fly Cubs and maybe 185's out of there

johannesl
January 26th, 2019, 08:27
Pictures I've seen show a Bonanza and a pressurized Cessna possibly a 210.

Aharon
January 26th, 2019, 11:40
I'm not sure if you can make an "ice" runway in FSX or an icey hard surface runway laid over the water.

It was done by few people designing add ons for ice runways on any lake for FSX.

Also, you can land on FROZEN lakes in Orbx sceneries for FSX.

Regards,

Aharon