PDA

View Full Version : Government response to petition 'ForgottenRAF'

BeauBrummie
October 9th, 2008, 08:12
Many of you signed a petition asking the Prime Minister to "Award a campaign medal to all members of Bomber Command in World War 2."

The Prime Minister's Office has responded to that petition and you can view it here:

http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page17125 (http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page17125)

If like me you signed up the petion then you would have had the same e-mail as I just have giving this detail. But in a nutshell the answer is no.

Beau

Firebar
October 9th, 2008, 09:49
Right, let's write too the Queen then...

Dear Your Majesty,

I find it distressing that the government of today is unwilling to recognise the sacrifices of a past generation. After the second running of a petition to give Bomber Command Vetrans a Campaign Medal the government replied with a beautifully hidden no.

I understand that in this age of political correctness that it seems the wrong thing to do to recognise those who bombed Germany. However, it must be remembered that at the time Bomber Command was the only way to strike at Germany, the only way to stay fighting in the war.

I, and many others, say that it is time to recognise those vetrans who helped to keep us free and fighting, while they are still alive to be recognised.

Yours,
About 15,000 people if you take both petitions into account.

ndicki
October 10th, 2008, 11:12
On the other hand, bear in mind what they actually did say.

Here in France, medals ARE awarded without any limitation in time. The result is that just to give the public something to gawp at, ageing veterans are wheeled out - usually literally - to be presented with medals under the Arc de Triomphe on 11th November or 8th May. All they did to deserve these medals, in the end, was live longer than the ones who did not live long enough to get wheeled out as a curiosity. Especially those who got themselves killed at the time,m and who didn't get a medal for it. So these old men, who do deserve our respect I admit, get a medal for nothing more than living longer than those who really did lay down their lives. Good, isn't it?

Now I know that isn't quite what the government meant, but either an award is given at the time, or it isn't.

And my father did serve a tour in Bomber Command - one of only two pilots from his EFTS wing to survive. I did sign the petition and I'd be thrilled to bits to see a Bomber Command medal. But they do have a point.

Firebar
October 11th, 2008, 10:41
To be fair it was a (n unusually) well thought out response.