PDA

View Full Version : GAS Stearman + Real Thing

stearmandriver
December 7th, 2018, 03:02
I've wanted to try this for a while: a split-screen video of a real and simulated flight. It worked out about as mediocre as expected ;).

This is a lap around the pattern with a slip to landing in a real Stearman, side-by-side with the GAS bird. I tried to sync the videos up so we cross the threshold in both around the same time; the other parts of the vids don't exactly line up. My head is on a swivel in the real plane, and the gopro was just strapped to my head, so that footage is bouncy, sorry. Also, in the sim, my zoom is at 80%, that accounts for the cockpit geometry differences you see.

I nailed 3-point in the real landing, the one in the sim is very smooth but a little mains-first, that's why you don't really see a touchdown. But close enough to be a fun comparison! (Yeah, my frame rates suck, sorry.)

https://youtu.be/QCySFUrm2jk

musterpilot
December 7th, 2018, 03:13
That was fantastic thanks

falcon409
December 7th, 2018, 04:50
Excellent job. Much like your RW version, with TrackIR, I'm the same way, especially in open cockpit aircraft. Constantly looking side to side or back over my shoulder.

binarkansas
December 7th, 2018, 05:21
Thanks for posting the video. Interesting perspective and amazing in all ways. The real and the sim were more similar than I expected. I will surely watch it more than once!

DennyA
December 7th, 2018, 10:04
That was really cool to watch! Thank you for taking the time to make that.

Spad54
December 7th, 2018, 14:51
Incredible to see our simulation side by side with the actual plane. Thanks for putting this together. May we repost on our FB page?

stearmandriver
December 8th, 2018, 09:06
Incredible to see our simulation side by side with the actual plane. Thanks for putting this together. May we repost on our FB page?

I'd like to say yes but I think I'd rather you didn't. I'd rather not approach the owner about his feelings on me using the plane for commercial promotions, and I'd REALLY rather not do so without his permission. He lets me fly and teach in it and that's enough ;). I just made the video for fun, but I thought it was a pretty good comparison. I hope you understand.

ejoiner
December 8th, 2018, 09:19
I've wanted to try this for a while: a split-screen video of a real and simulated flight. It worked out about as mediocre as expected ;).

This is a lap around the pattern with a slip to landing in a real Stearman, side-by-side with the GAS bird. I tried to sync the videos up so we cross the threshold in both around the same time; the other parts of the vids don't exactly line up. My head is on a swivel in the real plane, and the gopro was just strapped to my head, so that footage is bouncy, sorry. Also, in the sim, my zoom is at 80%, that accounts for the cockpit geometry differences you see.

I nailed 3-point in the real landing, the one in the sim is very smooth but a little mains-first, that's why you don't really see a touchdown. But close enough to be a fun comparison! (Yeah, my frame rates suck, sorry.)

https://youtu.be/QCySFUrm2jk

This looks like KPWT Bremerton?

stearmandriver
December 8th, 2018, 10:51
Looks like it's too late to edit the post but I've pulled the video for privacy considerations (someone pointed out the N number was visible, I'd missed that) . Glad those interested got to see it though..

TuFun
December 8th, 2018, 13:34
Pretty cool video! It's more like a Nvidia RTX off or on. Hopefully future flight sims will have the RTX effects you see in real life.