PDA

View Full Version : De-icing in the MJ C47

DCA1161
November 28th, 2018, 06:58
On Tuesdays multiplayer flight of DC3 Airways we were in Canada with snow, low clouds and temps 6° C below 0°. Some of us were slowly losing power and speed during cruise with Pitot Heat on, Carbheat on, And de-icing props and structure. We carefully checked for de proper engine settings. Talking about this we discovered that we don’t know the proper handling of the de-icing of the MJ C-47. Does it has to stay on and if not, for how long? Can anyone help us with this?
Roy

blanston12
November 28th, 2018, 09:09
I had that problem on a recent flight, in Canada flying through a freezing rain/snow storm. All the de-icers were on but still losing power. Turns out my carb-heaters were off.

thunderstreak
November 28th, 2018, 10:27
I have found it best to keep the carb heat on during flights in cold/wet weather.
If you don't catch it in time you can have troubles.
I've also reduced altitude to find warmer temperatures or climbed above cloud where possible to get away from icing.

Cheers!

DCA1161
December 2nd, 2018, 01:40
To anwer my own question about de-icing props and structure (found out from a real-time pilot), The C-47 has boots in front if the wing, the edge of the props and tailparts. You have to keep the de-icing on for just a short periode, so the boots breaks the ice and it wil fall of. The mistake we made was to keep the de-icing running the whole flight.
Roy

cavaricooper
December 2nd, 2018, 08:29
To anwer my own question about de-icing props and structure (found out from a real-time pilot), The C-47 has boots in front if the wing, the edge of the props and tailparts. You have to keep the de-icing on for just a short periode, so the boots breaks the ice and it wil fall of. The mistake we made was to keep the de-icing running the whole flight.
Roy

Yes, if left on, the ice just forms around the expanded contour and renders the boots useless to de-ice. Only heat anti-ice is effective full time (hence the "anti" preventing accumulation in the first place, rather than breaking it up after formation).

HTH

C

alpha charlie
December 2nd, 2018, 09:26
The C-47 has boots in front if the wing, the edge of the props and tailparts.

Prop deicing system as well as carburetor and widshield deicing systems uses alcohol to remove ice and prevent its formation.

stansdds
December 3rd, 2018, 01:50
Actually, carburetor de-icing shuts off most or all of the direct air intake and draws air that has been circulated around the exhaust pipe. That is why it is called "carburetor heat".