PDA

View Full Version : Why "Outhouse?"

nagpaw
November 24th, 2018, 12:52
This is probably a question for the Great Ancient Ones who were here in the beginning. I can't find an answer anywhere, so here goes...

Why "outhouse?"

There's probably some inside joke or pun that's flying right over my head...you can blame my sweet innocence...:confused:

MrZippy
November 24th, 2018, 13:42
Why not? Seems to be the "Hole" that we have all fallen into:encouragement: Can someone throw me a rope or shove a ladder down here?:biggrin-new:

SSI01
November 24th, 2018, 15:49
I saw the explanation a long time ago - something having to do with this being a spin-off from another site where those at the other site reportedly told those planning THIS site that was where they were headed with it. Or something like that.

magoo
November 24th, 2018, 16:05
I think you're going back almost two decades......

There was a website, "Combat Flight Center", which still exists, and seems to share a common foundation with SimOuthouse nowadays....check the menus.

Well....CFC was all about CFS (1). The was some disagreement among the staff and site owner about policy and things, a bunch of fellows broke away and formed the SimOuthouse.

There was also another site called CFS Online, (I think...) and changed it's name to Netwings after a few years, which went well until it's owner passed away. It had been a sort family member to SimOuthouse, friendly competition and a lot of exchange. Most members from that site migrated here, and an already dynamic website became even more so.

I believe that the Netwings download library was uploaded here for preservation....no?

Some of the founding members are still around, could straighten me out, and fill in the gaps.

Try Willy.....he's still painting and posting here. He's one of the original Admins.

Dev One
November 24th, 2018, 23:02
I thought it was where we were banished to by our wives/companions/partners when enjoying ourselves playing video games.......
Keith

joe bob
November 25th, 2018, 01:02
Google is you friend people!

From Wikipedia

Sim Outhouse
Named in honor of Sebastian Leopold Outhouse, an early pioneer in flight sim add-ons.
Having no luck in finding a lady who was willing to become Mrs Outhouse, he devoted his energies to the advancement of flight sim technology until his 70s when his mail order bride arrived.
Mr outhouse briefly returned to the field three days later when his bride to be fled the state with a circus performer, but never achieved his earlier success.
Being the late 1800s, add-ons for flight simulators were truly a niche market, mainly involving throwing oneself out of a local barns hayloft.

The Sim-outhouse is a modest effort to keep the memory of this much overlooked pioneer alive.

Blackbird686
November 25th, 2018, 05:04
I think you're going back almost two decades......

There was a website, "Combat Flight Center", which still exists, and seems to share a common foundation with SimOuthouse nowadays....check the menus.

Well....CFC was all about CFS (1). The was some disagreement among the staff and site owner about policy and things, a bunch of fellows broke away and formed the SimOuthouse.

There was also another site called CFS Online, (I think...) and changed it's name to Netwings after a few years, which went well until it's owner passed away. It had been a sort family member to SimOuthouse, friendly competition and a lot of exchange. Most members from that site migrated here, and an already dynamic website became even more so.

I believe that the Netwings download library was uploaded here for preservation....no?

Some of the founding members are still around, could straighten me out, and fill in the gaps.

Try Willy.....he's still painting and posting here. He's one of the original Admins.

I believe Ron Larson (Ickie) may have had something to do with the name "Sim-Outhouse"... There was another admin, "Techworm" and of course, our good friend Henry. I believe Henry is still lurking around, as other moderators, and admins of SOH past. For the most part tho, I believe Magoo's post is spot on.

BB686:US-flag:

magoo
November 25th, 2018, 07:34
Ahhh......got my cup'o'coffee going this morning and decided to have a poke around the archives. Didn't have to go far.

When Ron Larson (Ickie) passed away, up went a thread. Lot's of folks piped in. Here's the link:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/103918-Tribute-to-Mr-Ron-(Ickie)-Larson?highlight=Tribute+Ron+%28Ickie%29+Larson

Scroll down to Canelo's post No.14, he writes a brief history of the place in the first person.

It's a significant thread, perhaps even a document of this site. I wonder what it would take to "sticky" it in a permanent fashion?

nagpaw
November 27th, 2018, 20:15
Thanks for all the insights, guys! I've been reading through that last thread about Ron especially. Lots of good stories. Wish I'd had a chance to know him :sorrow:

Willy
November 28th, 2018, 05:46
20 years ago this month, there was a CFS1 site "Combat Flight Center" and I was a mod in the forums. Several of us staff and members were flying online against each other almost nightly via IP sessions. There was a big falling out between the staff and the site owner and most of us ended being fired and banned from the site.

2 of us decided to start a new site, Canelo Kid and Tekworm and it was decided to call it Sim Outhouse at Tek's suggestion. Tek used to tell a story about how as a teenager, he took a relative's war trophy hand grenade, pulled the pin and dropped it down the family Outhouse. The resulting explosion was a lot messier than he expected and he was covered with the results. That story made the rounds numerous time. The Aeroplane Heaven guys even did a freeware flying outhouse for us while were still at CFC.

Ickie (Ron), Henry, myself and few others came onboard before the SOH opened. Initially, CK did all the background work on SOH as he did at CFC. Ickie eventually took over the site maintenance from CK, CK shortly left due to real life problems. Before he did though, we bought the Combat Flight Center site where it all began. Tek, who is the actual site owner, slowly backed out due to real life problems as well. We still occasionally hear from them as well as Henry.

Dev One
November 28th, 2018, 06:08
Aaaahhh that sort of 'outhouse' - used to have one of those in Wales- a 'Family Two Holer' at the bottom of the garden, it was kept but was non functional when we bought the house.
Keith