PDA

View Full Version : A question regarding flight planning

joe bob
November 10th, 2018, 14:13
I wonder if there is a way to give the Flight Sim map a sense of scale.
I find that doing out and back flights such as my carrier ops, it can be difficult to figure bingo fuel for an alternate airfield since distances are not always easy to estimate.
Any ideas on how to judge this in a simple way. It would be great if there were a scale you could add to the map.

srgalahad
November 10th, 2018, 20:26
Joe bob,
The default FSX map (which hasn't really improved from FS2000) really is limited. You're probably far better off to install something like Little Navmap https://albar965.github.io/littlenavmap.html
It allows, for example, a click-and-drag measuring tool (rhumb or GC distance) that can be used on the fly. There's also a limited distance scale in the corner of the base map display.
If you want to use it before flight, or as you fly in windowed mode it is a great tool. Of course, if you fly in full screen, it's a little less efficient.
It also provides for weather info for a selected airport so you can determine whether your alternate is acceptable.
In addition, it can display data for AI shipping in case you want a distraction enroute. With Global AI Ships installed you can find lots of targets on which to make 'inspection' passes.

joe bob
November 10th, 2018, 20:48
Thanks Mr G That sounds promising, I'll give it a try

joe bob
November 12th, 2018, 09:24
This works really well for my purposes. It has a simple measurement tool and as an added bonus it shows AI ships so you can get the base heading of the carrier when you want to set up your HSI for approach.
Thanks for the heads up on this

tgycgijoes
November 14th, 2018, 06:09
Tasco makes a program called Plan G which will show you and where you are at any given FS time in your flight. It is scaleable and in scale from your destination. I have only used it for land based flights though some have been over water. Give it a try and post for others if it works.

speedy70
November 14th, 2018, 06:34
It is Taso software not Tasco.

here http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/planG.htm

Cheers chris

thefrog
November 14th, 2018, 06:58
Tasco makes a program called Plan G which will show you and where you are at any given FS time in your flight. It is scaleable and in scale from your destination. I have only used it for land based flights though some have been over water. Give it a try and post for others if it works.
Little Navmap does this as well.
I have tried both, but I now use Littlenavmap exclusively.

tgycgijoes
November 14th, 2018, 15:08
I thought that I check this out before, but it is really nice. I am going to download Little Navmap and give it a comparison to Plan G in my opinion. Not going to give that here. Just want to make up my mind which I like the best for all its features which are really impressive. In FSX in the USA, Blue Sky Scenery's Moving Map (BSSMM) which is also freeware is really great because it is superimposed on Sectional charts so that the pilot can see all the controlled and restricted areas. Great for serious USA pilots who don't just hop in and fly wherever regardless of the airspace. It doesn't superimpose your flightplan paths on it though. Skyvector does this especially well for flight planning but doesn't have a moving aircraft locator. Each one has its strong points and drawbacks.