PDA

View Full Version : Another "Fred" memory.

Navy Chief
February 18th, 2009, 15:01
I feel like I need to start a "Fred says" type thread!

Anyway, here's another one, hot off the presses:

"Lots of stuff like that the pilots would pull on each other. The most common, airborne, trick was "thumping" some other pilot. Here's how it works.

You are out flying and you see some guy flying along, straight and level. He does not know you are there. You get behind him, and above it. Cobb the power to your plane, dive and really pick up some speed. Then fly under him, in the same direction and pull up quickly as soon as you are clear. He flies right through your jet wash. He's been "thumped"....."

dadmod
February 18th, 2009, 17:46
Aye...and if the pilot doesn't judge it right he/she ends up like the Chinese jet jockey who "thumped" that EP-3 a few years ago.
:faint:

PRB
February 18th, 2009, 18:42
I knew an A-7E pilot who hated P-3s and all those who rode in them or drove them. Evidently it stemmed from an incident in the 1980s off the coast of the Philippines where, in a raging thunderstorm, he was sent to “bingo” to NAS Cubi Point. It was late at night, and by the time he landed at Cubi, parked the jet, and made his way to the BOQ, he was tired, wet, and in possession of only his drenched flight suit. At the BOQ he was told there was no rooms available, on account of the P-3 squadron that was visiting Cubi that week. The P-3 crewmembers were visible all over the place, in sandals and cutoffs, enjoying the tropical nighttime paradise that was the Philippines. This SLUF pilot told me this story, and finished by saying that from that moment on, every time he came upon a P-3 while flying his trusty Corsair II, he would “thump” those *******s. Damn P-3 SOBs! We hateses them!! I always thought that was a pretty darned funny story.

Navy Chief
February 19th, 2009, 05:21
Well, I do remember flipping the P-3's off when they flew by the flight deck, on more than one occasion.

My last squadron was with EP-3s, but all of the previous ones were tailhookers.

NC

Curtis P40
February 19th, 2009, 05:33
I'll vote for a "Fred says" thread
Curt