PDA

View Full Version : Left and right moving center Gear animation in CFS2

wolfi
September 29th, 2018, 00:56
For a request about the center gear animation
The tail Wheel (or Center Gear) moves left or right when the aircraft turns and is on ground, but in the air the center gear is fixed, for CFS2 I use two “rudder” parts for moving left or right they will move together and the tailwheel angle is dabbled. To stop this movement you have to turn one “rudder” element 180° so the Rudder’s work against each other. Therefore I use 2 c_gear, one that turns the second rudder around 180° to the other rudder and a second c_gear that keeps the lower tail wheel part at place while turning also 180°. Hu this is hard to explain for a not native English speaking person . I :dizzy:think an example very simple aircraft will help, the yellow and orange triangles are the two “rudder” parts, the green and blue triangles are c_gear part’s that move the rudder and the lower center gear part back into position. I also added a FSDS2 file with the full animation.
wolfi

mav
September 29th, 2018, 02:32
Hi Wolfi From my understanding.... you'd like the centre wheel to disabled from rudder when in flight??? If that's the case can you .... make it so it's disabled when landing gear is up??? Cheers mav

wolfi
September 29th, 2018, 02:45
Three more pictures

wolfi
September 29th, 2018, 02:47
Hi Wolfi From my understanding.... you'd like the centre wheel to disabled from rudder when in flight??? If that's the case can you .... make it so it's disabled when landing gear is up??? Cheers mav Yes, you are right

wolfi

mav
September 29th, 2018, 03:08
So... is it possible to also add l_gear keyframe to disable rudder when up???

Allen
September 29th, 2018, 03:13
Dose FSDS2 have c_wheelwell like gMax? Objects c_wheelwell disappear when gear is retracted. Also I'm not sure that this works in CFS2 as this is found in the FS2002 gMax docs...

wolfi
September 29th, 2018, 03:14
which animation You use doesn't mater but it must be a Keyframe animation, if you like to lock / unlock the center gear manually you can use the "concord_nose" keyframes or "tailhook" if not used

wolfi
September 29th, 2018, 03:16
sorry but I don't know how it works in G-max, I was to lazy to learn it

mav
September 29th, 2018, 03:18
Don't think he wants it to disappear.

mav
September 29th, 2018, 03:28
Would make sense to use l_gear keyframe to center the wheel when flight automatically...with a centered rotation table.... if that makes sense?

wolfi
September 29th, 2018, 03:55
it doesn't mater which gear animation you use, it only maters which animation frame you use, for this example I use frame 10 as locked, and Frame 11 as unlocked, in FSDS2 you start with landing gear up, so if I make a aircraft I will normally use frame 99 and Frame 100. As I said it before you can use all keyframe animations like wingfold, canopy, tailhook, r_gear, l_gear,c_gear...

Allen
September 29th, 2018, 03:58
sorry but I don't know how it works in G-max, I was to lazy to learn it

That's fine but gMax and FSDS2 have to code to CFS2. So I was thinking both may have a key that work the same way.

I looking at the FSDS2 VarTable I see c_wheel is listed and has FLOAT32 so I'm guessing this is user animated just like with gMax. If I remember right c_wheel will lock at neutral when the gear is up in CFS2.

wolfi
September 29th, 2018, 04:10
c_wheel is not a key frame animation, to animate the "center landing gear" you must use "c_gear" and it doesn't automatically rotate like the rudder, so I added the rudder function to the c_gear, if there is an option to rotate the center gear I missed it.

wolfi
September 29th, 2018, 04:20
OK, I just saw, you can toggle the visibility in the Pre process window, like landing gear down (visible) and landing gear up (invisible), that would work when the landing gear is fully covered in fight

mav
September 29th, 2018, 04:29
OK, I just saw, you can toggle the visibility in the Pre process window, like landing gear down (visible) and landing gear up (invisible), that would work when the landing gear is fully covered in fightThat's correct

Shessi
September 29th, 2018, 04:37
Hi Wolfi,
Ahh I see now, yes you can use c_wheel WITH c_gear, and you make the castoring/swivel limit in the aircraft.cfg file. Or you can make it free castoring and use the lock/unlock command.

I was getting confused why you would want to go about it in that complicated way..ha ha!

Cheers

Shessi

mav
September 29th, 2018, 04:48
Never mind.... Shessi changed answer...

wolfi
September 29th, 2018, 05:49
Sometimes things are too simple!

wolfi
September 29th, 2018, 08:40
:applause:
Oh my god,
I worked so much years with FSDS2 and I completely missed that! -I compared c_wheel and c_tire :banghead::dizzy:
wolfi

Hi Wolfi,
Ahh I see now, yes you can use c_wheel WITH c_gear, and you make the castoring/swivel limit in the aircraft.cfg file. Or you can make it free castoring and use the lock/unlock command.

I was getting confused why you would want to go about it in that complicated way..ha ha!

Cheers

Shessi

Shessi
September 29th, 2018, 12:36
Ha ha ha...entschuldigung Wolfi, ein Hauch von Schadenfreude......

No worry as it hasn't stopped you making some superb models!

:very_drunk:

Shessi

pstrany
October 1st, 2018, 11:47
A very helpful thread. Thanks for this!

Paul