PDA

View Full Version : Flying car

gray eagle
September 27th, 2018, 09:25
World's first FLYING CAR that can turn into a plane in less than a minute and soar along at 100mph is going on sale in the US next month

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6210205/Worlds-flying-cars-set-market-pre-sales-month.html[/URL]

Moses03
September 27th, 2018, 11:56
Nope, not going to happen. (Although the swell animation was fun to watch).

There is just not enough safe technology for an affordable mass produced flying car. Not to mention the nightmare of trying to regulate the airspace.

Call me jaded but I believe we won't see one for the next 50 years at least. At least the inventors keep trying.:encouragement:

magoo
September 27th, 2018, 19:05
At the end of WW2, wasn't there a prediction of a light plane in every driveway...? A flying car in every driveway..?

Nonetheless.....looks like an interesting toy. I have to wonder what the insurance companies think of it. Certainly you'd need to register it as an aircraft, insured as such, and hold the appropriate certification.

But then for street.....?

What sort of insurance premium would this machine require? I know my old pickup truck draws a fraction of the fee paid out by the kid across the street who drives a Lamborghini....(Which is sort of a car/airplane thingie...)

How much more the real thing...?

SSI01
September 27th, 2018, 20:22
Basic cost - OUCH!

Maintenance & repair - More OUCH!

Insurance - Yet more OUCH!

This won't be for everyman - it's going to be for those who can afford it, and packing that much cutting-edge technology into such a small vehicle is going to be enormously EXPENSIVE.

As has been previously stated, consider airspace congestion, regulation, and so on. And if the traffic behavior around Chicago or other big towns is any indication, taking to the skies in this thing around that town would truly be dicing with death. In some towns there are road rage incidents where folks roll down their windows and empty pistols or revolvers at each other. I wonder what would happen over one such town when someone in one flying car cuts off another someone up there. Ya-hoo, as they say.

Not realistic, for a long, long time to come.

Naismith
September 27th, 2018, 22:58
It'll never take off..... No? nevermind. :biggrin-new:

magoo
September 28th, 2018, 13:42
Yeah......after a little thought about the idea of the flying car.....I think the legislators will create rules to the effect that when you're on public roads, you're a car. Want to get airborne..? "Drive" to an airport/airstrip, enter the active correctly, and become an airplane.

If you find yourself stuck in a traffic jam, certainly the desire will be to unfold and take off. You'll probably not be permitted to do that. Same with flying over the local grocery store and remembering your spouse wanted you to pick up milk on the way home, and pulling an impromptu landing in the parking lot.

Won't be permitted, unless you're a government employee.....like a blade runner or something....

Personally I'd love a plane/car that could also convert to a submarine, with a built in barbecue for sunny days.

I'm certain policy makers see even more "no's" in that regard, and my local insurance broker'd probably just quit taking my calls.....

....and then there's that little thing called....money.

Oh yeahhhhh.......