PDA

View Full Version : ADSL troubles

Moparmike
February 18th, 2009, 13:42
My folks are having no end of trouble with their rural DSL setup.
Here's the deal...rural telephone co-op and we've got about 4 miles of copper until it hits the nearest fiber. I know a while back that used to be quite a long stretch for data transmission, but I'm not sure if it's usable with today's equipment or not.

They've got a ComTrend CT-5071T ADSL modem and it is setup DHCP into the ISP. The problems is that very frequently (but not consistently) the modem drops the IP and won't renew it. You have to power it down and back up again so it'll release/renew the IP address to get the connection back.

Has anyone else had any problems like this with DSL and any clue on how to get things working correctly.
Any other brand modems worth trying?

For many years, we've been on the phone co about having some very old copper coming to our area...it's bad enough that it affects regular phone service when it's wet outside. Crackling on the line like there is moisture in somewhere. They finally dropped some new temp cable in a couple weeks ago (it's winter, the ground is frozen, not to mention buried under 4-6' of snow) and it's better but still not solid. The dial-up service eventually got so bad (9.6k was a good connection speed!) so they tried to run DSL to the house.
Well, in my opinion if you can't get decent phone/dial-up then you'll never have consistent DSL service either.

waco
February 18th, 2009, 13:53
Mike, I have a similar problem here. They trenched in a new TV cable line and cut the phone line. It got but spliced and seems to work okay, but dsl was oversold here and the only static ISP addys are sold to businesses. Our dynamic addies get dropped during online rush hour. The local phone company software allows reconnecting, though, without restarting the modem. Still, it's a PITA.

Ickie
February 18th, 2009, 13:55
I had the same problem with dsl light (750 k)
I upgraded to 3 MB and all was fine.

I now have a 10 meg cable

have them get a static IP