PDA

View Full Version : P3DV4 and FSX

Seahawk72s
September 2nd, 2018, 16:49
Any pointers on getting P3DV4 and FSX running on the same machine would be appreciated.
(I need both for testing purposes)
I think this is possible but if I'm wrong, please let me know.
I've seen videos for P3DV4 settings but very little about the two sims co-existing.

Many thanks..

awstub
September 2nd, 2018, 18:01
I have both installed on my system and they work just fine. Because I use them for testing purposes, both are installed in their default locations (C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 and C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X). I also have P3Dv3 installed in it's default location as well.

Any pointers on getting P3DV4 and FSX running on the same machine would be appreciated.
(I need both for testing purposes)
I think this is possible but if I'm wrong, please let me know.
I've seen videos for P3DV4 settings but very little about the two sims co-existing.

Many thanks..

wombat666
September 2nd, 2018, 20:43
I run FSX-E on a separate 'Steam' drive, P3D3 and P3D4 on their own dedicated drive and a few different flavours of FS2004 and X-Plane 11 on another drive.
All good.
Try to avoid using your C/OS drive, apparently it can cause problems, or so I've heard.
:encouragement:

Mach3DS
September 2nd, 2018, 20:53
Even if you use the default location, all you have to do is install them to different directories...they don't have issues with each other. They are completely separate programs.

blanston12
September 2nd, 2018, 23:07
Never had a problem having both on the same system, right now I have FSX-SE, P3D v4.3 and P3D v3.4 all installed on the same system. V4 is installed on the fast SSD, 3.4 and SE are installed on the slower but bigger normal disk. You just can only use one at a time and you have to install add-ons into each of the sims you want to use it in.

Manschy
September 2nd, 2018, 23:38
Both sims run fine on my PC. Furthermore, I have the advantage to use lots of FSX native aircraft and sceneries also in P3Dv4 without installing them again. That saves a huge amount of gigabytes :applause:

fsafranek
September 3rd, 2018, 07:08
I've got FSX, FSX-SE, P3Dv3 and P3Dv4 all running on the same drive. No issues. Not really sure what advise I can give since I've had no real issues. I will suggest that if you uninstall one to re-install it make sure you read the developers notes on manually removing files in hidden system folders. Don't just rely on the uninstaller. Also make sure your video drivers are up to date and compatible. If note, remove them to see it they are the culprit.
:ernaehrung004:

Seahawk72s
September 3rd, 2018, 12:50
Many thanks to all.
You've put to rest any concerns...

Seahawk72s
September 3rd, 2018, 12:54
Both sims run fine on my PC. Furthermore, I have the advantage to use lots of FSX native aircraft and sceneries also in P3Dv4 without installing them again. That saves a huge amount of gigabytes :applause:

So in P3DV4 I can guess how you could point back to FSX scenery, but to grab FSX aircraft and gauges, how does that work..?
Thanks...

EDIT: I've gone over "Installing add-on aircraft outside P3Dv3/v4 root" but am guessing there is a process to point to existing FSX folders..?

Manschy
September 4th, 2018, 00:21
To me, for my aircraft it works with several entries inside the appropriate cfg's:

Go to

C:/ProgramData/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3Dv4

Now make a backup of your cfg's you need the entries for the FSX paths.

In my cases I did changes as follows:
(exchange xx with ongoing numbers)

1. effects.cfg

Add

[Entry.xx]
Title=FSX Default Effects
Path=C:\FSX\Effects
Required=True
Active=True

2. gauges.cfg

Add
[Entry.xx]
Title=FSX Default Aircraft Gauges
Path=C:\FSX\Gauges
Required=True
Active=True

2. simobjects.cfg

Add (exchange the ongoing numbers by yours)

[Entry.11]
PATH=C:\FSX\Simobjects\Airplanes
TITLE=FSX Default Aircraft
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=true
[Entry.12]
PATH=C:\FSX\Simobjects\Rotorcraft
TITLE=FSX Default Helicopter
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=true
[Entry.13]
PATH=C:\FSX\Simobjects\Boats
TITLE=FSX Default Ships
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=true

Sceneries I just add to the P3Dv4 scenery library and had a look what's working or not. Most FSX native things work fine, some that used older codes don't. Hope that helps.

Seahawk72s
September 4th, 2018, 03:49
To me, for my aircraft it works with several entries inside the appropriate cfg's:
Sceneries I just add to the P3Dv4 scenery library and had a look what's working or not. Most FSX native things work fine, some that used older codes don't. Hope that helps.

Many thanks, excellent information..:applause: