PDA

View Full Version : Ant's T-28 Survey

RKinkor
August 25th, 2018, 16:26
Ok so I just tried the T-28A model freeware/donationware version and have become addicted to it. However because funds are low at the moment, which version would you guys get if you can get only one and also which is newer one? All help appreciated.

Mike71
August 25th, 2018, 17:51
Ok so I just tried the T-28A model freeware/donationware version and have become addicted to it. However because funds are low at the moment, which version would you guys get if you can get only one and also which is newer one? All help appreciated.
ALPHASIM made a pretty good B/C/D model. The T-28C was the only version that was carrier capable. It is freeware for an FS9 version and an FSX version courtesy of Virtavia. Look here: http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware Some freeware repaints are around. VT-5 was the only unit that used the "C", exclusively for basic CQ in the non-jet pipeline. A few "C"s were sprinkled around like at NATC Pax River, etc, but not really used for carrier ops.

tgycgijoes
August 25th, 2018, 17:56
When I was flying the T-28 for my CarQuals I started with Ant's T-28A at the FCLPs until I could afford to step up to the "C" but it was a "weak sister" as the real one was compared with the B which was USAF and the C which was USN. I found the Virtavia freeware FSX and I found it to be a nice airplane for free nothing wrong with it. Of course Ant's payware are superb versions but as is the case you get what you pay for. If funds are really limited (as are mine on a pension) I would fly the Virtavia until you can buy Ant's and then the T-28C so it is carrier capable.

greenie
August 25th, 2018, 18:37
I bought Ant's T28 in support of his generous freeware airports and TigerMoth. So glad I did, enjoying it ever since.

blanston12
August 25th, 2018, 19:12
I have the t28 b/c but I can’t say it’s better than the A version. I got the payware version just to support them but I can’t say it adds much better. I say take the A version enjoy it and if you like it buy the b/c or D version to pay back if you think it’s worth it .

mgchrist5
August 25th, 2018, 21:05
My personal preference: Unless you're lusting after a D, I'd go for the B/C model, since unlike the D model, the B/C models have a DME readout in the cockpit. That makes it marginally easier for mush-brained folks like me to navigate without the aid of the wimpy magenta line. Other than that, any of the Trojans are excellent values. I believe the B/C are the more recently-released models as well. I've got Ant's entire hangar of offerings, and they're all superb. Zero complaints.

Mike71
August 26th, 2018, 02:09
Just as a matter of purity for this tired old Navy airdale: The T-28A was a USAF model. 2 bladed prop, smaller 800 hp engine. The B and C had a bigger engine, 3 bladed prop, fuselage speed brake, used by USN. The C was a B with a hook, slightly shorter prop blades. The D was a converted B for USAF / foreign COIN ops. The "B" was the Navy's standard basic prop trainer for a long time. The "C" was used only for a quick checkout and carquals for basic students at the end of basic prop training, all basic students being assigned for a short period to VT-5 as the last phase of basic once the T-28 program became stabilized.

stansdds
August 26th, 2018, 03:58
I started with Piglet's T-28 in FS9, then a "ported" version in FSX. Tried the Alpha Sim T-28 for FSX, but found the virtual cockpit to be lacking. I bought Ant's T-28D when it first came out and it is a true FSX model and in great detail. If I was going to buy again, I'd pick the T-28B/C.

thunderstreak
August 26th, 2018, 04:51
I have all of Ant’s T-28’s but would suggest the B/C is the most versatile.
All versions have great detail, are very realistic and are a true representation of the original.

ColoKent
August 26th, 2018, 08:10
Interesting that you’d bring Ant’s T-28 up, as I have been flying it intensely for the past few weeks, to quench my thirst for “highly detailed, realistic” big iron prop warbirds until A2A releases their P3Dv4 capable P-51D...which will apparently be the civilian variant first (my fave).

Bottom line is that I agree with the statements above...unless you are an Air America enthusiast (who flew Ds), the B/C does offer the best variety/bang for the buck.

So here’s my question....does anyone have a clue if Anthony (of Ant’s Airplanes) has anything new in process...and if so, what it might need? I was doing some ferreting around online this week and discovered an SOH post from Matt saying Anthony typically posts over on FS Developer...but I didn’t see anything recent from him over there.

At any rate...go with the B/C...I don’t think you’ll be disappointed!

Kent

roger-wilco-66
August 26th, 2018, 10:03
I bought Ant's T28 in support of his generous freeware airports and TigerMoth. So glad I did, enjoying it ever since.

Ditto here! He did an awesome job on all T-28 models. I love his attention to detail as well as his modeling and coding skills.

I'd get the whole package.

Cheers,
Mark

Ferry_vO
August 26th, 2018, 10:44
Ant keeps all his T-28's up to date, so not a lot of difference between models.

Mike71
August 26th, 2018, 16:04
I never knew about Ant's T-28 until I just bought it. Excellent! Here is a very nice article from a student perspective about going through basic training at VT-3 and VT-5. http://www.mofts.org/assets/flying_the_t-28_by_jack_flanagan.pdf

Portia911
August 26th, 2018, 18:43
I never knew about Ant's T-28 until I just bought it. Excellent! Here is a very nice article from a student perspective about going through basic training at VT-3 and VT-5. http://www.mofts.org/assets/flying_the_t-28_by_jack_flanagan.pdf

Great detail in that article - thanks for posting, Mike. :very_drunk:

Bjoern
August 26th, 2018, 23:15
Even the "A" model is fun.

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepT-28A.html

RKinkor
August 27th, 2018, 03:37
Thanks guys, looks like the B/C are the way to go for now!

Daube
August 27th, 2018, 03:48
Yesterday after reading this topic, I decided to reinstall the T-28C in my P3Dv4.
While the plane displays perfectly and starts perfectly from cold&dark, it refuses to recognize my throttle movements.
I can move the throttle in the cockpit using the left and right click of the mouse, but the lever won't react to my trhottle axis on my joystick.
I have tried both "method 1" and "method 2" in the 2D popup, none of them react.
I don't remember having this problem in the past... is it specific to P3Dv4 ?

EDIT: just saw there's a 3.10 patch to download on Ant's webpage. Tells something about throttle lock, I guess I'll have to give it a try.
EDIT2: It seems the T-28 archive I have is too old, the T-28 has since then been upgraded to P3Dv4, so I simply need to download again :)

Catboat
August 27th, 2018, 04:45
Yesterday after reading this topic, I decided to reinstall the T-28C in my P3Dv4.
While the plane displays perfectly and starts perfectly from cold&dark, it refuses to recognize my throttle movements.
I can move the throttle in the cockpit using the left and right click of the mouse, but the lever won't react to my trhottle axis on my joystick.
I have tried both "method 1" and "method 2" in the 2D popup, none of them react.
I don't remember having this problem in the past... is it specific to P3Dv4 ?

EDIT: just saw there's a 3.10 patch to download on Ant's webpage. Tells something about throttle lock, I guess I'll have to give it a try.
EDIT2: It seems the T-28 archive I have is too old, the T-28 has since then been upgraded to P3Dv4, so I simply need to download again :)I've got most of Anthony's aircraft, my particular favourite being the Winjeel, with all of the T28 series being very close behind. As always I admire his attention to detail, in the case of the Winjeel, the four -part petal cowling, showing the engine as it really is, lowerable battery box etc. His free download Aussie Airfields are a great added bonus, particularly with the same attention to detail applied. All in all, as far as I am concerned, great value for money. I look forward to any of his future products.