PDA

View Full Version : Good Challenging Strips (Part 2 )

Catboat
August 15th, 2018, 23:13
Good Afternoon Folks, Following up my previous post, I've been looking around at further good strips, and I found this almost in my own back yard. It is Geehi "Landing Ground". If you haven't already done so you'll need to download ANTS AUSSIE AIRPORTS, Vol 1 t0 9. Anthony not only produces great aircraft, T28 and Winjeel (Ginwheel, amongst others, but also produces great scenery! I've tried this landing strip using Carenado C185 Bush, Milviz DHC3 and the DHC3T. (Though I have Orbx Australia, I am only using FSX Gold, to save disc space at the moment). Taking off from YKHA (Khancoban) climb to about 3000ft on local QNH, tracking 149 for 10nm. at about 7 nm you should be coming over a saddle in the mountains, with the aircraft configured for an approach. looking slightly to the right you should see what appears to be a sandy area on the side of a hill, and a greenish field slightly to your left. The field is your landing ground. this is basically your decision point, continue the approach, or go-round. With the aircraft configured for landing, a fairly steep descent will be necessary. On the left is a small hut with smoke issuing from a chimney and on the right as you roll out are a couple of vehicles and caravans, with another hut off to the right at the end of the landing roll. I was landing on Rwy?15. Backtracking, and taking off again on a heading of approximately 150, as I climbed over the road, I found it necessary to following the road around to the right, in the climb keeping to the right of the valley and when I had enough room a left turn to head back over the landing ground heading approximately 330, continuing the climb up to at least 3000 ft to clear the saddle. As you clear the saddle you can see Khancoban Pondage (Lake) in front of you, with YKHA

Timmy74
August 16th, 2018, 01:20
Great little airstrip Geehi is. The RAAF use to fly DHC-4 Caribou's into there. The last one -i am led to believe- was in 1983 due to to becoming quite rutted and dangerous.

I have ridden past it too a few times on the motorbike. Great camp site and that mountain air is amazing! Khancoban is a great place as well.