PDA

View Full Version : Unsecure Site??

simtech
August 10th, 2018, 20:41
I read with great interest about the coming B-25 from Warbirdsim. So I ventured over to the site and I became enamoured with the P-51 offerings and had the desire to purchase. When I attempted to register, I get the warning that the "Warbirdsim.com" site is not secure..(no padlock, secure, HTTPS,etc). I'm very leery creating an account leaving personal info on an unsecure site. Is there another option or perhaps a secure site for Warbirdsim. Their P-51 looks awesome... Any ideas..??? Thank you

wombat666
August 11th, 2018, 00:42
Go to Just Flight.:encouragement:

IanP
August 11th, 2018, 06:44
I keep getting this stupid "unsecure site" message all over the place, including my own bleeping site.

All it actually means is that the site isn't using a HTTPS connection. Why certain browser developers seem to think that every site should be using https is beyond me - unless they're selling the certificates, of course.

Ian P.

blanston12
August 11th, 2018, 07:50
I keep getting this stupid "unsecure site" message all over the place, including my own bleeping site.

All it actually means is that the site isn't using a HTTPS connection. Why certain browser developers seem to think that every site should be using https is beyond me - unless they're selling the certificates, of course.

Ian P.

Well the main point of the HTTPS connection is so that when the packets of information are being send back and forth from your browser to there server across the inter-web, the messages are not readable by somebody else. This site is not using HTTPS and for the most part its not a problem since the information here is not private, except maybe for when you log in and someone might be able to see your username and password, but of course nobody here would be foolish enough to use the same password here that they use on other sites.

simtech
August 11th, 2018, 13:34
Well said, gentlemen. My concern being during registration, the site requires all sorts of information including user name, p/w, address, phone, email, etc. and I feel uneasy about sending said information across unsecured lines. I'll give a look at Just Flight as Warbirdsims looks as though they have some terrific products. Plus I wanted to help John and company out.

IanP
August 12th, 2018, 05:34
If you're going onto a commercial site, where you're accessing commercial content, then https is not an option, it's a requirement. My complaint isn't with that, it's when you get a big red warning that you're not using SSL when connecting to a site that requires no login, nor from which are you downloading paid-for content.

It wouldn't be a problem at all if you didn't have to purchase a certificate to use https/SSL for a connection, because then in theory everyone could use them, but given the cost of confirming and proving the encryption is present then it's not an option for the vast majority of sites.

I apologise for confusing the matter, I was referring to the thread title rather than the specific site the OP was commenting on. ;)

Ian P.
(P.S. This line doesn't start with the letter "I"!)

blanston12
August 12th, 2018, 09:24
If your trying to secure your site and you have full root access to the server you can use a service called 'lets encrypt' to secure your site for free. We use it on several systems at work and we also use it at FSAirlines to secure its servers. Pretty easy to setup and you can setup an auto-renew script so that you don't have to worry about it expiring.

I think there is away to use it if you only have a web hosting account but since I don't have experience using that I am not sure how set it up.

simtech
August 12th, 2018, 12:24
Thank you, one and all for the information. After all is said and done, it may be worth the $12 premium of getting Warbirdsim products from a secure site, rather than from the developers directly since Just Flight is secure . Cost of protecting one's information must be worth something. Thank you for all who chipped in..