PDA

View Full Version : FCS Lancaster problem

whiskymike
July 30th, 2018, 06:20
I'm using the FCS Lancaster with the patch installed. Boxed edition FSX. Orbx England scenery Take offs, landings, and circuits have been fine. When cruising at 150/160 knots about 10/15 minutes into the flight the wing dips and the aircraft starts to go down. I have no control, if the aircraft goes left I'm trying to bank right and also using some right rudder. No effect at all. I usually hit the ground, sometimes inverted. If I slew back into the air I can continue flying and land somewhere, if I go too far then it happens again. Fuel tanks are filled equally.

A friend who has the aircraft has no trouble.

I have quite a few third party aircraft, and this problem does not occur with any others. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with the friend's disc, and still the same problem.

I fly with the Bristol Flightsim Group and was hoping to use the Lanc on our next flight.

Please does anyone have any ideas ?

Mike Collins

Daube
July 30th, 2018, 06:24
Aircraft going uncontrolled to the ground means in 99% of the case some icing occured. Did you check if any sort of pitot heat was available ?

MrZippy
July 30th, 2018, 06:35
I agree with the Pitot tube heat on. Also are you setting the prop RPM correctly after takeoff so you aren't burning up the engines? I found this out the hard way when learning to fly the Super Conny. It would do great for the first 12-15 minutes and then literally fall out of the sky.

You will probably need to get these gauges down to around 25-28 hundred RPM within the first 8 minutes after takeoff. These show 3000 RPM because the reviewer had just left the airport.

whiskymike
July 30th, 2018, 06:50
Aircraft going uncontrolled to the ground means in 99% of the case some icing occured. Did you check if any sort of pitot heat was available ?

Flightsim temp was in the twenties, aircraft at 3000ft. I hadn't checked any pitot heat. Props 1900rpm Zero boost. Thanks for your reply.

whiskymike
July 30th, 2018, 06:54
I agree with the Pitot tube heat on. Also are you setting the prop RPM correctly after takeoff so you aren't burning up the engines? I found this out the hard way when learning to fly the Super Conny. It would do great for the first 12-15 minutes and then literally fall out of the sky.

You will probably need to get these gauges down to around 25-28 hundred RPM within the first 8 minutes after takeoff. These show 3000 RPM because the reviewer had just left the airport.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62395&stc=1

Thanks for your reply. Props 1900rpm. Zero boost giving me 150/160knots. (Details given from BBMF pilot in Lancaster book)

MrZippy
July 30th, 2018, 07:13
Prop RPM at 1900 @3,000 feet? Are you flying level or still climbing? What is the manifold pressure? Mixture set correctly? Prop RPM sounds very low, unless that is what the manual calls for.:dizzy:

whiskymike
July 30th, 2018, 08:18
Prop RPM at 1900 @3,000 feet? Are you flying level or still climbing? What is the manifold pressure? Mixture set correctly? Prop RPM sounds very low, unless that is what the manual calls for.:dizzy:

Zero boost - rpm 1900 - 150/160knots. Straight and level. These settings used in the BBMF Lanc. As quoted by Ed Straw (pilot) . Will try at higher rpm.

whiskymike
July 31st, 2018, 01:43
25 minute flight with 2400rpm and zero boost, straight and level ok. Not convinced yet, will try again on a longer cruise.:mixed-smiley-010:

MrZippy
July 31st, 2018, 05:32
25 minute flight with 2400rpm and zero boost, straight and level ok. Not convinced yet, will try again on a longer cruise.:mixed-smiley-010:

Sounds good, so far!:encouragement:

ftl818
July 31st, 2018, 09:05
Sounds good, so far!:encouragement:

I found this in an older post. I had the same problem and this solved it for me. Another way is to leave the fuel selectors untouched.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One other issue that wasn't fixed with the patch (at east it still showed up on mine) is the fuel selectors in the acft.cfg.

If you notice a fuel imbalance during cruise or the fuel selectors on the FE panel not working correctly, check the acft.cfg fuel section and make sure that the tank selectors are set for 4 and not 2. It should look like:

number_of_tank_selectors=4

--Dan
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

whiskymike
July 31st, 2018, 13:33
I found this in an older post. I had the same problem and this solved it for me. Another way is to leave the fuel selectors untouched.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One other issue that wasn't fixed with the patch (at east it still showed up on mine) is the fuel selectors in the acft.cfg.

If you notice a fuel imbalance during cruise or the fuel selectors on the FE panel not working correctly, check the acft.cfg fuel section and make sure that the tank selectors are set for 4 and not 2. It should look like:

number_of_tank_selectors=4

--Dan
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Thank you, will try these suggestions, and post again.

Mike

bazzar
July 31st, 2018, 13:40
I do not have this product but if it is portraying the Bmk1, then there should be no manually operated mixture controls. Mixtures were automatically operated. Is the reason for power loss that you do not have either auto-mixture set in the realism drop-down or aircraft CFG? If you have too rich a mixture at altitude you will surely fail.:engel016:

ftl818
August 1st, 2018, 02:36
I do not have this product but if it is portraying the Bmk1, then there should be no manually operated mixture controls. Mixtures were automatically operated. Is the reason for power loss that you do not have either auto-mixture set in the realism drop-down or aircraft CFG? If you have too rich a mixture at altitude you will surely fail.:engel016:

I think it is not a mixture problem but an uneven fuel distribution. Fuel is drawn from one tank only and after some time the aircraft rolls due to the weight difference.
Indeed the FCS lanc does not have manual fuel controls, just the fuel cocks.

The updated cfg was the solution for me.

Paul

whiskymike
August 1st, 2018, 07:24
I think it is not a mixture problem but an uneven fuel distribution. Fuel is drawn from one tank only and after some time the aircraft rolls due to the weight difference.
Indeed the FCS lanc does not have manual fuel controls, just the fuel cocks.

The updated cfg was the solution for me.

Paul

90 minute flight this afternoon, one severe drop to the left at the start of the cruise, but then ok for the rest of the time. I left the fuel selectors alone and changed the cfg value in each model, so fingers crossed. Will give it another try tomorrow.

Thanks for your input.

Mike