PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever purchased a sound package?

blanston12
July 24th, 2018, 08:45
I Flyers.

I was browsing around the JustFlight site, looking at the available airliners (incase there was something I wanted that I had missed) and was noticing how many sound packages there were listed for sale. I for one have never purchased a sound package, my ear is neither good enough or experienced enough to hear the difference, and normally my sound is turned down pretty low to not disturb my house mates. But on the first page of airliners products on JF, almost half were sound packages.

Do you share my curiosity at this strange phenomena or do you thing they are fine and essential products that you purchase regularly.

WarHorse47
July 24th, 2018, 09:07
I have several purchased sound packages. Most are for prop engines, but a couple are for jet aircraft. No airliners.

I have a SoundBlaster sound card specifically for FS. I've been dissatisfied with some of the sounds that are part of both payware and freeware packages. I often see what is a good replacement, listening to the videos provided on various sites, to see what I like.

Most of my purchases have been from Skysong Soundworks (http://skysongsoundworks.com/), but not all. I usually check out Steve's site first, then go to Simmarket and see what other packages are available. When there is not a sound package available for a specific aircraft, I sometimes research to see if there is a comparable package by determining the type of engine and other aircraft using that engine (if that makes any sense).

One caveat. Before you buy to replace you sound package, make sure you know who created the sounds. On one or two occasions I found the sounds that came with an aircraft were also sold separately.

Another caveat. Before you spend your money, look around for some freeware sounds. There are a lot of good ones out there, and I have several packages from FS9 that work great in FSX.

Stefano Zibell
July 24th, 2018, 09:53
normally my sound is turned down pretty low to not disturb my house mates.

Headphones, good ones.

As for the question, no sound packages per se, BUT, I've bought one of those F-Lite JF airbuses on sale just to use the sounds, which are nice, with the FD-FMC airbuses.

mgchrist5
July 24th, 2018, 10:22
my ear is neither good enough or experienced enough to hear the difference

I share your problem: my ears are pretty blunt instruments as well! Generally I find there are plenty of excellent freeware sound packages already available, but I've been tempted a few times over the years when there's plenty of good feedback/reviews and the price is right. Case in point: I picked up the Immersive Audio package for the Majestic Q400 during a holiday sale. The Q400 already has excellent sounds, but I was impressed with a lot of the additions that came with the Immersive package (specific switch sounds, ground rattles, etc). It really does add up to a significant improvement, IMHO.

https://secure.simmarket.com/immersive-audio-mjc8-q400-cockpit-sound-immersion-fsx-p3d.phtml

blanston12
July 24th, 2018, 10:53
Headphones, good ones.

Thought about headphones. Currently I normally fly from a comfy chair in the main room so my house mates don't feel I am isolating myself from them, I have held off getting VR goggles or headphones so I don't re-isolate myself from them, otherwise I might as well retreat into the office again.

Bjoern
July 24th, 2018, 12:33
BUT, I've bought one of those F-Lite JF airbuses on sale just to use the sounds, which are nice, with the FD-FMC airbuses.

Umm. There are enough freeware options for a CFM56-5 and V2500, including SkyHighAudio's excellent sets.

tgycgijoes
July 24th, 2018, 14:45
Both of the above manufacturers of radial engines have excellent freeware sound packages out there if you just look for them. Also you can see in t he description of freeware downloads at Avsim, Flightsim and Simviation for different aircraft about special sound sets that come with them that can be used with other aircraft. I for one also have a very good "gamers" headset I purchased a couple years ago on Amazon at a serious discount because it was a discontinued color. I guess it matters to gamers what color it is. I could care less that it is red not the other fancy colors in the line. I also have a good sound card that allows me to separate the engine and cockpit sounds which play from the computer from the audio both FS and Vatsim on the headset which also helps me to hear the ATC or Teamspeak better.

tankerguy72
July 24th, 2018, 15:18
I have purchased quite a few soundsets. I think Turbine Sound Studios (TSS) does top notch work. My latest purchase was their C-130 sounds which are simply amazing and well worth it.

fsafranek
July 24th, 2018, 20:30
I've purchased a couple sound packs Sonic Solutions and one from TSS. Satisfied with all.
:ernaehrung004:

William Njurmi
July 25th, 2018, 05:07
If I could I buy more for my racing sims, but yes I have bought some for FSX. Sounds are often overlooked but essential for immersion. In real world it is difficult to stop tears of joy when a classic Merlin or P&W sing their song.

vora
July 25th, 2018, 05:51
The only sound package I have bought is a PT6 from TSS which I use for the Kodiak (LHC) and the Grand Caravan (Carenado).
I couldn't live without it.

Willy
July 25th, 2018, 06:27
I've cobbled a few together from bits of others to get something I like. Never have bought any.