PDA

View Full Version : ORBX FTX and Retro Scenery - question 2

Wings of Gold
July 22nd, 2018, 20:16
Hi Guys,

Having solved my first question regarding use of my Orbx FTX with a retro period, I am venturing another question. I fly retro exclusively. My earliest period is WWII, and the latest (in England) would involve Lightnings or Vulcans. One of the mood spoiling things to find on a cross country is either a wind mill farm or cooling towers (as might be found on a nuclear power plant). Is there a way to remove these generically (like a library that I can find and remove the appropriate file)?

Your advise will be most appreciated.

Bill

roger-wilco-66
July 22nd, 2018, 22:30
If you remove objects from libraries (or the libraries themselves) which are referenced in scenery files you will generate an error (file or object not found). This causes a flurry of hard disk accesses during runtime and in the vicinity of the object because the sim will search through fall back folders with hundreds or thousands of files. This will cause stuttering or micro-stuttering.
Long story short, I wouldn't do it.

You should be able to exclude these objects with SBuilderX. Some objects are grouped in the FTX configuration, which can be excluded there. If I remember right.

I know your predicament since I also fly in other time periods. I hate these villas with swimming pools along the HCM trail in Laos!

There are two kinds of scenery objects: autogen and manually placed. Autogen is easy to fix. Just use SBuilderX and place a vegetation lanclass spot over the offending area. Manually placed objects (e.g. windmill farms) are a bit more difficult because you don't know where all of them are placed. An easy fix is to locate the library which holds the custom objects. Copy it to a safe place and open it with ModelConvertX. Extract all the objects (mdl). Locate the offending object and note the GUID. Make a dummy 3d object (e.g. a simple small cube) with fully transparent textures (won't be visible in the sim). Assign the same GUID to the dummy object as the offending object had. Then use LibraryCreatorX to pack the mdls in a bgl again, minus the original offending object, and the new dummy object instead.

Another method would be to unpack the bgls, and repack them with only non offending objects. The offending objects go into a separate bgl as dummy objects with the original GUIDs, as described above.

Drawback of these methods: the originator updates his libraries and your intervention is gone. In the worst case you have do do it again.

HTH,
Mark

Wings of Gold
July 23rd, 2018, 05:43
Thanks for the reply Mark. I go see what I can do (smile)

Bill

Manschy
July 23rd, 2018, 13:33
Have another look into your "ORBX/FTX_EU/FTX_EU_ENG_05_SCENERY/SCENERY" folder. Scroll down a lot and you find the appropriate additional bgl files that includes those objects (for example Offshore or WindTurbinesLib). Disable them by XXX instead of bgl for example. That way, it should work....