PDA

View Full Version : The old Bypass FSX Product Activation Trick

Bone
February 17th, 2009, 06:25
I recently did (was forced into) another FSX clean install, but this time I did something different. I saved my FSX.CFG before uninstalling Acelleration and FSX, simply because I didn't want to re-tweek it after the new install. Anyway, before reinstalling FSX, I put the .CFG back where it belonged before putting the disks in. When the first disk spooled up, I got the "repair" prompt, so I clicked on it. I was able to do a clean install of FSX and Acceleration without having to activate it with the product code...and it's working like a charm.

Hopefully, this method is not just a lucky fluke, and Product Activation Codes will now be a thing of the past for follow-on clean installs.

cheezyflier
February 17th, 2009, 06:29
this wouldn't work on a new computer though, would it?
i suspect that there may have been registry files that also assisted you in this regard, although i don't really know.

harleyman
February 17th, 2009, 06:37
Just so you know...Its not advisable to just install an older or removed FSX config file...

Its best to delete the old one,and let FSX rebuild a new one....

Use your old saved one as a guide to rewrite the newly built one...

I have mine copied and saved with notes next to each area to be tweaked and then date it... Its easy to redo that way for me.....Open them both uo,stretch the tall and skinny ,then scroll down your saved one to one of your tweaks..Then just pull the slider down to the same position in your real FSX config,and there is where you rewrite it..no more searching all over for that LOD or whatever you did...LOL

Bone
February 17th, 2009, 07:07
this wouldn't work on a new computer though, would it?
i suspect that there may have been registry files that also assisted you in this regard, although i don't really know.

Which makes this more of a conundrum, since registry files should have been removed with the uninstall. My FSX has been so absolutely FUBAR lately, who knows what went on in my machine. I guess it was a fluke after all.