PDA

View Full Version : FSXBA Hornet

heywooood
July 4th, 2018, 13:33
Quick and heartfelt applause to FSDream Team for their F-18c Legacy Hornet improvements

Thank you for all the work you have done to make this baby shine
https://i.imgur.com/jKZZygF.png

https://i.imgur.com/XkJTRGX.png

https://i.imgur.com/ZdB9cYX.png

heywooood
July 4th, 2018, 13:35
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=6944.0

(http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=6944.0)

Sundog
July 4th, 2018, 14:28
Yeah, their (Jimi's) F/A-18C (Don't ask about the D! ;) ) is great.

BTW, here's the link to the forum with the latest version. The link above, at least for me, goes to the previous version; http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16514.0.html

DennyA
July 5th, 2018, 09:03
Actually, the newest newest version, 18.3, is here: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16514.0.html

There's a P3Dv4-specific version, too! (Though apparently they're working on fixing some P3D avionics issues.)

PhantomTweak
July 5th, 2018, 10:28
Actually, the newest newest version, 18.3, is here: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16514.0.html

There's a P3Dv4-specific version, too! (Though apparently they're working on fixing some P3D avionics issues.)
Actually, the v18.3 has both the P3D 64 bit version, and the older P3D and FSX 32 bit setups included in the same download.

Instructions in the Readme tell you how to make it the 64 bit version. I believe it's default is the 32 bit version. Essentially, it's a matter of which Panel.Fleet folder, and Hornet_FCS.dll file you utilize, as to whether it's 64 or 32 bit.

Yes, Jimi and Orion are working on getting the Avionics right for PD 64 bit. It's still a work in progress, but the v18.3 is a big improvement over the v18.1, believe me.

I don't have P3D, so I can't speak to how well it works, or how good it looks, but in FSX:SE it's a real joy to fly. Aerobatics and traps aboard the boat both. Only problem I've noticed so far is that in a dive, at about 400 KIAS, going through 10,000' MSL, it can give a little wobble. Jimi and team are working on it.

Enjoy it though. It is a joy to fly, and there's 80 liveries, from around the world, for the screenie types.
I love it, I know that!
Pat☺

heywooood
July 5th, 2018, 18:33
thank you for sorting out the latest / correctest version of the jet for the various iterations of FSX/P3D...it's getting a little oblong trying to sort it all out at this point, isn't it..

Regardless - Great Work has been done and continues to be done to bring the Legacy Hornet to life and closer to accuracy and fidelity. Thank you to the team for their diligence and skill

Navy Chief
July 6th, 2018, 05:51
I am a little confused about installation to P-3DV4. There are some P3D specific files, i.e. Gauges and Panel.Fleet? So am guessing the contents of the Gauges directory go into the Gauges directory of V4, and the Panel.Fleet goes into the FSXBA Hornet main directory in V4? Is there any other config necessary, i.e. modifying the aircraft.cfg file to tell it to use Panel.Fleet?

Oh, and would love to see a VFA-106 paint done of this (I know a Anniversary Edition was done, but am referring to 1980s paint....when the squadron was commissioned.) I was with VFA-106 from 84-87. They didn't even have aircraft for several months!

Thanks. NC

Duckie
July 6th, 2018, 06:05
Like Navy Chief, I'm a little confused as to how to sort out the "...Specific" files, except mine is for FSXA. So far I haven't been able to find any installation instructions. I've never installed any version of this. Are there installation instructions somewhere for the manual install downloads?

heywooood
July 6th, 2018, 09:05
DennyA posted the latest links and in that link you can clearly see separate downloads - latest one for FSX-A and also the latest one for P3D ver4...
but it's true that this is getting trickier to suss out with all the versions for P3D and with FSX-A vs Steam...

PhantomTweak
July 6th, 2018, 12:32
The download file for the v.18.3 has everything you need to all the various simulator versions available. Well, for FSX, whether box or SE, and P3DV4 64 bit, anyway.

Jimi has posted an update, May 05 2018, since I downloaded the v18.3. I will verify what's going on with the two downloads. There's one for P3D64bit, and one for FSX. I will get back to y'all as soon as I get them both downloaded, so I can see what gives.
You can find the two downloads here: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16514.msg117675.html#msg117675 . He also has the various updates and improvements the latest update has included in that particular post. I recommend going through the post.

If you have an older zip file, before the 5 May one, and it doesn't have an auto-installer, do this:
For FSX, or P3d 32 bit versions, Simply unzip the zip file to a temp folder of some sort, and copy the contents over to your \Simobjects\Airplanes folder. It should be good to go. That's presuming you have the correct C++ Redistribuable running.

For the P3DV4 64bit version, you need to make a couple of changes, and/or additions to make everything work right. First, you need to get a copy of the original FSX Acceleration file FA_18.DLL, and place it you main Gauges folder. P3D doesn't include this file. You need to get it from a FSX Acceleration, or FSX:SE installation. You also need to make sure you have the correct C++ Redistributable 2015 (X86) installed. You can get it from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145 . Make sure you get the (X86) version.
Then, go to the P3D Specific Files folder. Copy the two files in the Gauges folder to your main P3D\Gauges folder. Overwrite if applicable.
Then, copy and Overwrite the files in the Panel.Fleet folder to the plane's Panel.Fleet folder. Essentially, you're replacing the Panel.cfg and the DSD sound dll files.

I have a more detailed install instructions here: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16514.msg126200.html#msg126200

I hope all this helps!
Pat☺

PhantomTweak
July 6th, 2018, 22:27
Ok, I finally got a chance to check the two out. They are specialized, as they indicate in their title and the title of the plane's folder in the appropriate zip file.
If you go to jimi's post on the first page of the newest Hornet thread here: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16514.msg117675.html#msg117675 , you will see that there are two different download links available. One is marked as being for FSX, the other is for P3D. That means P3DV4.

There's no action you need to take for either, presuming you have the proper ancillary files running. The C++ Redist, etc. Just download the right one for your sim, and unzip them into the correct folder. Like for FSX, it would be your \Simobjects\Airplanes. You will need to copy the effects and their textures to the sims \Effects folder. They are found in the planes \Extras folder.

Then hop in and go enjoy! This plane, according to the various real-world Hornet drivers on the development team, flies as close to the way the real one does as any out there. They are named in the beginning of the Aircraft.cfg file.
It may not be EASY, or whatever you've had available up to now, but it's very realistic.

The plane IS TacPac enabled, as well, for those of you who use it.

Couple it with AICarriers.NET, and vLSO, and AWAAAAYYYY You GO!

Enjoy all!

Pat☺

Duckie
July 7th, 2018, 06:27
Pat, thank you for taking the time to reply to our installation questions. I did install it exactly as you say and all the basics seem to work OK in the limited amount of time I've spent with it.

I was questioning the fact that there were both P3D and FSX specific folders included in the FSX download as well as "default" folders/files. Obviously the P3D folder would be ignored for the FSX version. However, without installation instructions, especially for first time users like myself, it's hard to know if the additional files/folders within the folder titled "FSX Specific" should be exchanged with the default files/folders in the download, as they appear to be duplicates. Do these specific files contain optional additional or more advanced capabilities or effects, or are they just left overs from previous versions, etc?

Thanks,

Steve

PhantomTweak
July 7th, 2018, 11:17
However, without installation instructions, especially for first time users like myself, it's hard to know if the additional files/folders within the folder titled "FSX Specific" should be exchanged with the default files/folders in the download, as they appear to be duplicates.

Originally, when the v18.3 first hit, they included everything for both sims, so they only had to make 1 download file for both sims. FSX, and P3D 64 bit. Now, due to the confusion, especially from the first time users like yourself, they split them off. Why Jimi doesn't include a Readme, or installation instructions, I don't know. It may be because they are releasing small updates, not enough to designate a whole new version, like v18.4 or whatever, too quickly, and Jimi couldn't keep up. I'm not certain, though.
I will speak with Jimi, and see if we can't get the installation instructions written up and included in a Readme for both download files.
During the summer, Jimi, Orion, and many other on the Team, are very busy. They are both still active duty military. This may contribute to their rush to release, along with the beta testers, and just general users crying out for various changes and updates. I wager they just ran so far behind, they gave up on the Readme file, or at least the auto-install file.
As I say, I will speak with Jimi, and see if we can get the Readme back on track.

Pat, thank you for taking the time to reply to our installation questions. I did install it exactly as you say and all the basics seem to work OK in the limited amount of time I've spent with it.
I am glad it's working for you so well :D I am happy I could help out a little. I love this plane, if you couldn't tell, and tend to "advertise" it at every opportunity. Up till I started doing that, this plane was almost exclusively used by the FSX Blue Angels for their demo team flying. They have a lot of communication channels internally, so things like install instructions in a written form really weren't needed. With me shouting from the roof-tops, so to speak, they're getting a lot more "strangers", so a better Readme would be a benefit. Many first time installers aren't members of their forums, so that path of information dispersal, used up till recently, is no longer viable.

Do these specific files contain optional additional or more advanced capabilities or effects, or are they just left overs from previous versions, etc?
Mostly leftovers. No longer needed now that there's 2 separate downloads, one for each sim type. The two "Specific Files" folders can pretty much be ignored.
The only folder you need to worry about any more is the Extras folder. It has the effects that need to be placed in the sims \Effects folder, including their associated textures.
It also includes documentation on the aircraft, what it does, and how it does it. Very good information to read up on. Another excellent source of information on the plane is the real-world Hornet's NATOPS manual. I strongly suggest you download it in PDF format. That way, you have the information at your fingertips. You can download it here: https://publicintelligence.net/u-s-navy-f-18-natops-flight-manuals/ .
That site has an immense hoard of various military manuals, both aircraft NATOPS of various sorts, as well as manuals published by the various services on a huge variety of subjects. Not just US Navy, but all services. Not just US services, but world wide. Great site.
I suggest taking a moment to browse around it and see what all they have you might be able to use :)

Enjoy it! It's great for FCLP, with scenery available from Paddles as part of his vLSO effort, as well as carrier ops. Bombing missions, A-A interdictions, the whole nine yards. It's even TacPac enabled.
Pat☺

Duckie
July 7th, 2018, 12:37
Thanks again, Pat, for the detailed explanation. It is very helpful and it is much appreciated.

Steve

delta_lima
July 7th, 2018, 13:01
Read the manual and didn't see any information on loadout. At least to get the center tank visible. My a/c are all totally clean. I'm assuming there's a matrix for adding a given weight to a given store position?

thx,

dl

ps: I don't have Tacpac.

heywooood
July 7th, 2018, 15:56
Read the manual and didn't see any information on loadout. At least to get the center tank visible. My a/c are all totally clean. I'm assuming there's a matrix for adding a given weight to a given store position?

thx,

dl

ps: I don't have Tacpac.

I dont have tacpac either but the loadouts work independently of the weight and fuel GUI in FSX
just load a flight then press 'Ctrl+7' I think...and you get a popup window for loading up the externals...You have to click on the 'guns only' window in order to access the hard points..otherwise all you can load are the wingtip sidewinders

delta_lima
July 7th, 2018, 16:17
Shift+7 it is - thanks. Got a nice 3 tank option that suits me just fine.

cheers,

dl

heywooood
July 7th, 2018, 18:16
welcome mate - you've solved a few for me over the years so..there you go

PhantomP
July 8th, 2018, 05:26
Does anybody know if the Ladder,and chocks work on this model,I have seen pics of with them both out,and if they do work whats the switches,or key presses?

Thanks

delta_lima
July 8th, 2018, 05:58
Exit keys. Shift e + 2/3/4 etc brings up a bunch of animations, incl engine covers, ladder, etc.

PhantomP
July 8th, 2018, 06:03
Thanks for the answer delta_lima,I suppose you have to be shut down,and have the parking brakes on to see these?

PhantomTweak
July 8th, 2018, 10:19
Shift+7 it is - thanks. Got a nice 3 tank option that suits me just fine.

cheers,

dl
Jimi and the gang haven't figured out a way to add the correct amount of fuel for additional external tanks you add with the SHFT+7 menu.
The weight of the empty tank, and it's drag values, are correctly added, when you select them, just as the A-A missiles, bombs, etc. are.
My solution, as a temporary measure, is to add the tanks into the [fuel] section of the aircraft.cfg file, but make their "amount of fuel in the tank" default values zero. That way, if/when I want to have the tanks on-board when flying, I use SHFT+7 to display them, and have their weight and drag values correct. Then, before take-off, I just go to the Fuel and Payload menu, and add the proper amount of fuel to them. Since there's only 1 value for that parameter, it's easy to remember, even for me.

Alternatively, you can add them into the [Fuel] section as before, but have the correct amount in them. That way, if you want to use them, they are already full and ready to go. If you don't want to use them, or only one or two, you can get into the Fuel and Payload menu, and change the displayed values to zero appropriately. Saves you from having to remember the correct amount for them. Even I can remember "zero"! :biggrin-new:

PhantomP
Thanks for the answer delta_lima,I suppose you have to be shut down,and have the parking brakes on to see these?

Correct. Both engines totally spooled down to zero. Same for the APU. Parking brake set. I won't swear that you have to have the Generator, and Battery, switches off as well. I'll take a look.

Have fun all!
Pat☺

PhantomP
July 8th, 2018, 11:47
Jimi and the gang haven't figured out a way to add the correct amount of fuel for additional external tanks you add with the SHFT+7 menu.
The weight of the empty tank, and it's drag values, are correctly added, when you select them, just as the A-A missiles, bombs, etc. are.
My solution, as a temporary measure, is to add the tanks into the [fuel] section of the aircraft.cfg file, but make their "amount of fuel in the tank" default values zero. That way, if/when I want to have the tanks on-board when flying, I use SHFT+7 to display them, and have their weight and drag values correct. Then, before take-off, I just go to the Fuel and Payload menu, and add the proper amount of fuel to them. Since there's only 1 value for that parameter, it's easy to remember, even for me.

Alternatively, you can add them into the [Fuel] section as before, but have the correct amount in them. That way, if you want to use them, they are already full and ready to go. If you don't want to use them, or only one or two, you can get into the Fuel and Payload menu, and change the displayed values to zero appropriately. Saves you from having to remember the correct amount for them. Even I can remember "zero"! :biggrin-new:

Correct. Both engines totally spooled down to zero. Same for the APU. Parking brake set. I won't swear that you have to have the Generator, and Battery, switches off as well. I'll take a look.

Have fun all!
Pat☺Hey Pat thanks for all the info,but can you please show what the extra fuel tanks section should look like in the in the Fuel section of the hornet config,and what the correct amount of fuel for them should be?

PhantomTweak
July 9th, 2018, 12:35
Hey Pat thanks for all the info,but can you please show what the extra fuel tanks section should look like in the in the Fuel section of the hornet config,and what the correct amount of fuel for them should be?

Happy to!

[fuel]
LeftAux = -28.50, 0, 0, 418, 0.0 ;Tank 1 //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)
LeftMain = -28.50, 0, 0, 263, 0.0 ;Tank 2 //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)
RightMain = -28.50, 0, 0, 206, 0.0 ;Tank 3 //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)
RightAux = -28.50, 0, 0, 532, 0.0 ;Tank 4 //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)
LeftTip = -28.50, 0, 0, 74.1, 0.0 ;Left Wing //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)
RightTip = -28.50, 0, 0, 74.1, 0.0 ;Right Wing //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)
external1 = -25.50, 0, -28.00, 0, 0.0 :Centerline Droptank, 330 gal. capacity
external2 = -25.50, 5.51, -28.00, 0, 0.0 :Left station Droptank 330 gal. capacity
external3 = -25.50,-5.51, -28.00, 0, 0.0 :Right Station Droptank 330 gal. capacity

fuel_type = 2 //Fuel type: 1 = Avgas, 2 = JetA
number_of_tank_selectors = 1
electric_pump=1
fuel_dump_rate = 0.0025 //Percent of max quantity per second

I don't believe you can jettison the tanks, so once you add them to the various stations, they are there. If you decide to dump fuel, I am pretty sure the system will dump externals first. I know it uses from the externals first.
Having said that, it's possible that with TacPac the tanks will be jettisonable (is that a word??). Bear in mind, though, that the fuel quantity in them won't jettison with the tank, I believe. So if you want to drop them, you will need to either use the "fuel dump" system on them first, or zero their amounts in the Fuel and Payload menu.
I don't have TacPac, so I can't speak to all this from personal experience.

The fuel totalizer display will show the fuel in them for you. You'll have to do the conversion from gallons to lbs, though, to interpret it. 330 gallons = 2185 lbs.
Remember to watch the plane's gross weight for landing aboard a boat. 33,000 Lbs is the max gross weight to land on the boat, and no more than 500 lbs in any external tank.
Apparently, early on, they had a situation or three in which the plane trapped aboard with more than that in an external tank, but not totally full, and when the plane caught the wire, the tank detached it's self when the fuel sloshed forward. Fuel tank would go shooting off the angle deck at about 130 kts., with everyone staring open-mouthed. Also, when the tank self-detached, it would trash the mounting system setups.
Needless to say, they made some changes in the NATOPS to cover this :biggrin-new:
I don't believe the sim will do this, but hey, why not do things right? :)

Notice I set up for my second method. Zero in the externals when the plane first loads in. That way, if you don't want to use them, you need to do nothing. If you do, add them with the SHFT+7 menu, and adjust the Fuel and Payload menu appropriately. When you add them with the SHFT-7 menu, the tank's weight and drag configurations will load automagically, but they won't have any fuel in them. Jimi and team are still working on that. This is a little side-step I came up with to at least get some fuel in them.

enjoy!
Pat☺

DaveKDEN
July 9th, 2018, 13:27
Brand new user to this version. Probably a dumb question, and I've certainly tried to figure it out using the included manual and scanning the cockpit - but how do you turn on the FCS? I have an "FCS INOP" message in my HUD that won't go away. I tried the FCS reset on the left side panel.

PhantomP
July 9th, 2018, 14:15
Thanks Pat,I appreciate you taking the time to explain your little sidestep to having extra fuel tanks on FSXBA Hornet.:encouragement:

Victory103
July 9th, 2018, 20:48
Brand new user to this version. Probably a dumb question, and I've certainly tried to figure it out using the included manual and scanning the cockpit - but how do you turn on the FCS? I have an "FCS INOP" message in my HUD that won't go away. I tried the FCS reset on the left side panel.

Unless PhantomTweak wants to repeat on SOH, here is the thread start on FCS issues. The system is on by default once the gens come online.
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16514.150.html

PhantomTweak
July 9th, 2018, 23:24
Unless PhantomTweak wants to repeat on SOH, here is the thread start on FCS issues. The system is on by default once the gens come online.http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16514.150.html
And I don't :D
That was a lot of typing. My poor fingers would wear away to little nubs...:biggrin-new:

Have fun, all!
Pat☺

DennyA
July 11th, 2018, 12:36
Took me forever to get rid of the FCS Fail -- had to install the SDK to get SimConnect updated, install the latest FSUIPC, and move the P3D-specific files to the right place.

Worth the frustration, though! What an amazing plane! And it flies a whole lot better and more realistically with the FCS active. :)

delta_lima
July 18th, 2018, 21:48
Wondering (am away from sim pc) if anyone has done a transplant of the latest VC into the Captain Sim D model. I'd expect loadout and stores functionality would be lost?

cheers,

dl

DaveWG
July 18th, 2018, 22:09
Wondering (am away from sim pc) if anyone has done a transplant of the latest VC into the Captain Sim D model. I'd expect loadout and stores functionality would be lost?

cheers,

dl

Yes, I have, and yes, it is lost!
I did do bit of recoding though, so the stores manager would work with the weapons modeled on the CS D.

delta_lima
July 18th, 2018, 23:30
Yes, I have, and yes, it is lost!
I did do bit of recoding though, so the stores manager would work with the weapons modeled on the CS D.

Well that's encouraging, Dave!

The "physical" vc likely won't give me an issue, just fussing with eyepoint stuff, and having all the relevant textures etc. But the coding part I'm curious about.

If there's any tips you could share, I'd be most grateful, since I have no idea where to start. FWIW, I'm looking for just a center tank (and maybe the wing tanks) and the AIM-9s, at most.

Cheers,

dl

DaveWG
July 18th, 2018, 23:59
I'll have to go back and see exactly what I did, can't remember all the details of the top of my head.

Victory103
July 19th, 2018, 09:56
Good job gents for not asking "jimi" about the D model on the FSD thread! I may need to see the CS X-Load B/D in P3D.

henrystreet
July 19th, 2018, 10:09
I did a merge of the 32 bit FSXBA VC and the CS Delta in P3Dv3. It was relatively straight forward. But I was not worried about Tacpack. The configurator for the CS model worked though.

delta_lima
July 19th, 2018, 13:23
Thanks gents,

Good point on the CS model's own stores configurator. If no one posts up their VC coordinates, I'll put up mine tonight when I'm done.

cheers,

dl

delta_lima
July 19th, 2018, 22:02
Well, the good news is the VC popped in using the existing eyepoint coordinates. A quick flight appeared to show the main systems worked.

I get a red "FCS Fail" error on the HUD, and it appears there's a call to the fcs.dll that somehow isn't working properly.

I don't have any form of stores generator, though mapping to the "training" appears to hardcode in the centerline tank - I'm ok with that.

Also, never got the D canopy texture (in spot view) to look right - almost invisible.

I suppose all this talk about the D is off topic in this thread, but if anyone has addressed these to suitable satisfaction, the help would be most appreciated.

cheers,

dl

PhantomTweak
July 19th, 2018, 23:02
I get a red "FCS Fail" error on the HUD, and it appears there's a call to the fcs.dll that somehow isn't working properly.

Remember, P3D doesn't come with FA-18.dll, which you must have. The way to get it is to copy it over from an FSX Acceleration install, or FSX:SE.

You must also be sure you're utilizing the correct Hornet_FCS.dll file for the P3D version you have. The 64 bit .dll is different from the 32 bit one.
You must also have the correct Simconnect, FSUIPC, .NET Framework, C++ Redistributable, and so on installed.

Hope this all helps somehow.
With the FCS fail message, the thing that makes the FSXBA Hornet such an amazing bird, the FCS, is disabled. Of course, using the CS Hornet, you may not be able to apply the FCS to it anyway...
Pat☺

DaveWG
July 20th, 2018, 00:48
I don't know about the FSX version, but the latest version for P3d v4 doesn't use the old FA-18.dll as it won't work in v4 anyway.
I copied the complete FSXBA panel.fleet into the CS F18D folder along with the contents of the texture folder, the air and TacPack.ini files. Also edited the CS aircraft.cfg with most of the info from the FSXBA aircraft.cfg. No "FCS fail" message, everything works as it should.

delta_lima
July 20th, 2018, 05:48
Hi gents,

I’m not running P3D-am in FSX-A.

Since the latest FSXBA Hornet runs fine with no errors, I’m confused as to why the dll error.

I’ll review the VC transplant again tonight.

Thx.

PS - I apologize for bringing in the CS "D" model into this - it's bringing in P3D commentary also which isn't really helping either - I'll start a separate thread on the D model merge for FSX.

thanks,

dl

Priller
July 20th, 2018, 07:54
Not so easy this one in P3Dv4. the FSXBA VC is showing alright, but no landing gear, no controls (meaning that the stick and rudder don't work)... And even though the FSXBA Single seater is working perfectly, I get an FCS error on the hud...

Hoping there is a solution for this, as it is a brilliant model and with the FSXBA VC, it is even better!

Priller

RobM
July 22nd, 2018, 16:48
Just a note here rather than starting a new thread on the P3Dv4 forums: I installed the P3Dv4.3 client and content today. But
when I loaded the F-18c, I had "FCS Fail" in red on the HUD. Nothing I tried in P3Dv4.3 seemed able to remove it. When I rolled
back to the P3Dv4.2 client and content, the red FCS Fail was gone. So there's something new in the P3Dv4.3 update that doesn't
agree with the F-18c..

Just thought I would mention, particularly since the F-18c is rapidly becoming one of my favorite planes.

- RobM

DaveWG
July 22nd, 2018, 22:55
Dunno, I'm on 4.3 and the FCS works fine.

DennyA
July 22nd, 2018, 23:05
Yeah, it works in 4.3, but you have to be sure to drag the folders for the P3D specific files into your panel. Also, the instruments may need to be in your main gauges folder; I was getting the FCS error when I just had them in the Panel folder.

RobM
July 23rd, 2018, 08:52
Also, the instruments may need to be in your main gauges folder; I was getting the FCS error when I just had them in the Panel folder.

Thank you! Yes, moving the Gauges from the panel.fleet folder to the Sim's main gauges folder, along with deleting the extra
"HornetFCS.dll" in the panel.fleet folder, got rid of the "FCS FAIL".

I don't know why the plane was working ok in P3Dv4.2. I guess the upgrade to 4.3 changed some background file or other.

Thanks again - RobM

Seahawk72s
August 4th, 2018, 06:22
Just downloaded the 18.3 version and am very impressed with the work.
Going thru the threads on the website gives a lot of information but I am missing where a manual
might be located. I found an FSX default hornet specific manual but is there something for the FSXBA..?

The second and from what I understand is a delicate subject, the FA-18D. I can appreciate what must be significant differences
between the 15.6 version which I downloaded and the current 18.3 C. What I am seeing though is missing textures on the D.
Does anyone have a solution..?

PhantomTweak
August 4th, 2018, 10:38
That's been a problem since that plane came out. Unfortunately, the dev that made the .mdl file for the plane is no longer available for permission to change the file. If he were still around, the .mdl file could be changed to accommodate the missing textures.
There've been a lot of people try to fix the blue situation, but to the best of my knowledge, no one has ever found a solution. If someone managed to use MCX to decompile it and fix the problem, without permission from the original author, there's no publishing it for others to use.
So, the blue remains, and always will, unless the original dev manages to make a return.
Since I've heard from "reliable sources" that he may have passed on, it's unlikely that he'll be granting any permissions in the near future :D

Does this help at all? Not super useful, I realized, and I'm sorry. Best I can offer, though.
Have fun, if you can take the blue problem in stride :D
Pat☺

PS: As to a manual. Did you look in the plane's \Extras\Documentation folder? Yes, the manual in it is for an older version plane, but most of the information is still fairly useful. Not ALL of it, and many things have been changed, but those things can be found in the thread. It's kind of a round-about way to find the information you're looking for, but better than nothing.
Jimi and Orion are working on a new manual for the latest versions, but since there's more, newer ones, coming out soon, it's one of those projects on a back-burner. The plane is getting new versions so rapidly, that any manual they were to write would be out-of-date as soon as they publish it.
PSB

Seahawk72s
August 4th, 2018, 13:00
Thanks.
What has me puzzled is that with one release of separate weapons on the v15.6 model there are thumbnail
pictures showing what look to be complete textures. I think the problem is that there was an older "base" texture that had 18D
specific textures. Trying to find it is the challenge.

Priller
August 4th, 2018, 13:36
Thanks.
What has me puzzled is that with one release of separate weapons on the v15.6 model there are thumbnail
pictures showing what look to be complete textures. I think the problem is that there was an older "base" texture that had 18D
specific textures. Trying to find it is the challenge.

Are older versions of the D model still available?

Priller

Seahawk72s
August 4th, 2018, 15:44
The only "D" version I have found so far is v15.6.
The trouble has been that progressive versions were aliased to base and older textures.

This will be painful as you sort out what model and texture(s) you want. But it does work, see pics.

Models here: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=14916.0

File name:"CP_F18_4_N"
Missing texture file here. Read text file as it identifies texture needed. http://www.mediafire.com/file/x54t7ml6k911m6b/FA-18_C_D.zip

Notice 2 seater models here. http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg94146.html#msg94146

(http://www.mediafire.com/file/x54t7ml6k911m6b/FA-18_C_D.zip)

Priller
August 4th, 2018, 23:51
Thanks Seahawk!!

Priller

Seahawk72s
August 6th, 2018, 08:42
Thanks to Kea I was able to access the 17.1 version of tactical.
See his notes and info on the page about possible issues.
I took the 17.1 "Model.Tactical_D" folder and placed it into the newest "FA-18C_FSXBA_BA_18.3.00" folder.
Then associate aircraft to this model.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16514.msg120358.html#msg120358

Get needed texture fix for "blue cockpit" issue. See earlier notes on link and file name. Just drop the texture file into
repaint folder you associated and the problem will be solved.

Call up the aircraft and you will now see a "D" model, load-out manager will let you handle all but the center tank.

heywooood
August 6th, 2018, 09:54
well looky there...never say never

Naismith
August 6th, 2018, 11:34
Noisey bunch these Blue Angels, flew right over the house this morning arriving for this weekends airshow. Scared the crap out of the dog too :pop4: As per usual the camera was in the basement.

https://www.abbotsfordairshow.com/events/2018-performers/

Priller
August 6th, 2018, 12:17
I took the 17.1 "Model.Tactical_D" folder and placed it into the newest "FA-18C_FSXBA_BA_18.3.00" folder.

Get needed texture fix for "blue cockpit" issue. See earlier notes on link and file name. Just drop the texture file into

Call up the aircraft and you will now see a "D" model, load-out manager will let you handle all but the center tank.

you DA MAN!! Thanks Seahawk!!!

PhantomTweak
August 6th, 2018, 21:58
Noisey bunch these Blue Angels, flew right over the house this morning arriving for this weekends airshow. Scared the crap out of the dog too :pop4: As per usual the camera was in the basement.

https://www.abbotsfordairshow.com/events/2018-performers/
You think those are loud, you should have heard them in the Phantom II's! :biggrin-new: :very_drunk:
Those J-79's are LOUD!!!

Personally, I think they rocked. I was sad when they got out of the Phantoms. Strangely enough. I worked on Phantoms. Love those birds...
Pat☺

delta_lima
August 6th, 2018, 23:06

Thanks.

How does the canopy texture look? It looks almost invisible from your pics - same issue I had.

Naismith
August 7th, 2018, 00:39
You think those are loud, you should have heard them in the Phantom II's! :biggrin-new: :very_drunk:
Those J-79's are LOUD!!!

Personally, I think they rocked. I was sad when they got out of the Phantoms. Strangely enough. I worked on Phantoms. Love those birds...
Pat☺

Oh yes, I recall the F4's at Mildenhall when I lived in the UK. Astounding sounds. Was such a pity the shows there were curtailed.

Seahawk72s
August 7th, 2018, 06:14
Thanks.

How does the canopy texture look? It looks almost invisible from your pics - same issue I had.

Corrected...

fsafranek
August 7th, 2018, 06:28
Corrected...
What was needed for the canopy tint correction?
:ernaehrung004:

Priller
August 7th, 2018, 08:55

Here you go Frank: "CP_F18_4_N"

Priller

Seahawk72s
August 7th, 2018, 10:38

I wasn't sure what glass file was being used so I checked out v15.6 tacpac aircraft.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=14916.0

Checked one of the "D" aircraft (FA-18D_FSXBA2015 15.6 A-A) and it looked good.
Grabbed the glass file from the version folder "Texture.VMFA-533_Hawks" and dropped into the 18.3 versions I am using.

delta_lima
August 27th, 2018, 09:36
Been really enjoying the latest (v18.3) Hornet in a big way - and have been watching the thread over at FSDT - there's another update coming! :wiggle:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=16514.225

dl

PhantomTweak
August 27th, 2018, 10:30
Yes, there's a new update in the pipe-line, but Jimi and team have a LOT of things to work out. ATM, they're concentrating on the TacPack system, and getting it fully integrated with the plane.

Jimi has also correct the COM and NAV radios to properly utilize ILS and TCN setups. Including the TCN and ILS for carriers.

I can't give any details, other than what Jimi posted, though. Suffice it to say, it will be a huge improvement to the entire plane. Including the FDE, Avionics systems, TacPack, the whole nine.
He's also included an auto-installer for both FSX/P3D v3, and P3D v4 and up. Should prevent the current confusion with what goes where when. :encouragement:

It will probably be finalized and released about the end of September/middle of October.

Have fun all!
Pat☺

delta_lima
November 12th, 2018, 11:10
So I've been playing with the v18.6 D model, where, for simplicity' sake, I simply dropped the A-G model into the main v18.3 C FSXBA folder.

I aliased to the C model panel, added the C model vc interior model to the D model's model folder / model.cfg.

The results:

Model displays reasonably well.

Canopy is not quite invisible, shows up like Skyhawk's, though not as nicely finished as the C.

Weapons - most show up when shift+7, except for wing tanks. Those refuse to show up.

But there's a funky code issue: as weapons are added, the air brake begins to extend; the more weapons are added, the more extends, to a max of approx. 30% extended.

Anyone else got this? I could live with the canopy and weapons issues, but the air brake is a bit of an issue. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

cheers,

dl

Essex
November 12th, 2018, 12:21
I'm fairly sure that'll be the drag gauge.
If you're familiar with using MCX you may be able to change the animation of air brake to the one that displays correctly. Presumably you'll also need to swap in the relevant air file entry's for the virtual air brake(weapons drag).
Not easy.

delta_lima
November 12th, 2018, 14:45
I'm fairly sure that'll be the drag gauge.
If you're familiar with using MCX you may be able to change the animation of air brake to the one that displays correctly. Presumably you'll also need to swap in the relevant air file entry's for the virtual air brake(weapons drag).
Not easy.

Thanks Essex. Have never played with MCX, so not sure where to start. But I’ll go back to the D .air, since that’s about the only permutation of variables I’ve not yet tried.

Cheers.

DL

Essex
November 12th, 2018, 15:56
Have a look at
DragManagement.xml
in the weapons gauge folder.

PhantomTweak
November 12th, 2018, 22:17
The reason for that drag gauge is to add drag to the aircraft as you add weapons and/or tanks. Weapons and tanks do add drag to the aircraft, depending on shape and size, and that's what it's simulating.
The actual speed brake shouldn't SHOW as being deployed until it's commanded open by the pilot. It won't deploy past 30° until commanded by the pilot with the / key. It will retract, if deployed by the pilot, under certain conditions. Like during the transition from UA to PA modes. It will remain deployed to a certain point relative to the weapons/tanks still loaded, however.
It shouldn't SHOW as deployed for weapons and tanks, though.

You can disable this feature by simply opening the Panel.cfg, in the Panel.Fleet folder, with NotePad. Make a back-up before you do ANY editing, naturally. Once it's open, look down through it till you find a section labeled [Vcockpit01]. Under that, look for two lines, in a section labeled //AVIONICS > WEAPONS, that read

gauge39=Avionics\Weapons!Dragmanagement, 0, 0, 1, 1
gauge40=Avionics\Weapons!BallastStation, 0, 0, 1, 1

Just comment them out by placing two slashes (//) in front of each line.
Save the file, close it out, and the weapons ill no longer add drag, or weight, to the plane as you add them with the SHFT+7 menu.

A small note about the SHFT+7 menu, BTW: BEFORE selecting any weapons, select GUNS ONLY, then go on the select the weapons you desire. It will ensure that the pylons show properly.

Hope this helps a little...
Pat☺

delta_lima
November 13th, 2018, 09:58
Thanks Pat,

There is no issue with the v18.3 C model. The question is how to adapt as much of that one's "guts" to the v18.6 D model.

I think I better understand what's going on. The drag effect uses a "virtual" airbrake input to introduce weapons drag that doesn't visibly show the actual airbrake moving on the C. When I port that functionality over to the D, that call to the airbrake is both virtual AND physical.

So my choices are either

1) to remove the drag realism by the panel edits you suggest, or
2) what I was originally trying, which is to modify the model to decouple the drag input from the virtual airbrake to the physical airbrake.

In pursuing 2), I mucked about with MDX last night - it kept crashing from low memory every 5 min or so, so didn't get too far in familiarizing myself with the tool. Specifically how to get the movement properties for that surface.

For now, I'll maybe just live with the drag feature removed, as I don't add a lot of weapons to the D.

If anything, I'd love to figure out how to change the canopy material to something that looks as good as the C canopy. That may be a simpler introduction into MDX.

I'll try the panel edits tonight and advise.

dl

Essex
November 13th, 2018, 16:41
Rob Barendregt pioneered this innovation on Dino's F-35,
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/100895-Update-for-Dino-s-freeware-(V2-41)-F-35-package (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/100895-Update-for-Dino-s-freeware-%28V2-41%29-F-35-package)

I've just checked his air file edits, there's only one;
FIELD 0x1101 0x36 INT16 250 <36h> Spoiler Drag (Cd_ds)
instead of
FIELD 0x1101 0x36 INT16 122 <36h> Spoiler Drag (Cd_ds)

The animation reassignment in MCX looks relatively simple so I need to try these mods on something myself.

delta_lima
November 13th, 2018, 18:47
Rob Barendregt pioneered this innovation on Dino's F-35,
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/100895-Update-for-Dino-s-freeware-(V2-41)-F-35-package (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/100895-Update-for-Dino-s-freeware-%28V2-41%29-F-35-package)

I've just checked his air file edits, there's only one;
FIELD 0x1101 0x36 INT16 250 <36h> Spoiler Drag (Cd_ds)
instead of
FIELD 0x1101 0x36 INT16 122 <36h> Spoiler Drag (Cd_ds)

The animation reassignment in MCX looks relatively simple so I need to try these mods on something myself.

Thanks - so are you saying I need to make the change to the .mdl in MCX and the .air file too? I've never edited one of those either. Is AirWrench the tool for that job? Will the freeware version work?

Am travelling at the moment - no access to my flightsim pc till later tonight.

thx,

dl

PhantomTweak
November 13th, 2018, 22:18
Hi, dl :)

If I were you, which I'm not, I would leave the .air file entries alone for now. Try just the model animations.

The speed brake controls and functions, as well as the automated retraction of same, and so on, are all controlled by xml files in the Panel.cfg. I don't know, yet, what the entries in the .air file are for, but I'll look and see.

If you don't have TacPack, I would either get it, all headaches adding missiles aside, or simply comment out the two gauges I pointed out. But really it was a lot of calculating and testing, and re-testing...and re-testing...:dizzy:
You get the idea. It wasn't easy getting the .air file right, and matched up to a) how the real plane actually flies, and b) the FCS' PID controller settings. There's another complete headache subject all on it's own.

I'm just trying to keep your copy of the plane flying as best it can. I'll take a look at those .air file entries and make sure I'm not talking out my tail-pipes. I would stick to the model file for right now, though. Can you maybe compare the animation to the C model model file? It might tell you why the D model animation doesn't work right with the TacPack files.

Speaking of, does the D model use the Panel.Fleet folder, or does it have it's own? You probably said something about it already, but I am getting senile, and forget easily. Have you tried using the Panel.Fleet folder for the D model's cockpit? It shouldn't show the speed brake extension until commanded by the pilot, regardless of the weapons load. Even the gauge Rob created has provisions in it to keep the speed brake from showing extension due to the weapons. That's what makes me wonder why the D model you've got does show it.

Just some thoughts. I get so very few of them...:indecisiveness:

Pat☺

Ganter
November 13th, 2018, 23:39
...make sure I'm not talking out my tail-pipes.

Pat☺

This made me laugh out loud. Thanks Pat. :encouragement:

delta_lima
November 14th, 2018, 09:16
Hi, dl :)

If I were you, which I'm not, I would leave the .air file entries alone for now. Try just the model animations.

The speed brake controls and functions, as well as the automated retraction of same, and so on, are all controlled by xml files in the Panel.cfg. I don't know, yet, what the entries in the .air file are for, but I'll look and see.

If you don't have TacPack, I would either get it, all headaches adding missiles aside, or simply comment out the two gauges I pointed out. But really it was a lot of calculating and testing, and re-testing...and re-testing...:dizzy:
You get the idea. It wasn't easy getting the .air file right, and matched up to a) how the real plane actually flies, and b) the FCS' PID controller settings. There's another complete headache subject all on it's own.

I'm just trying to keep your copy of the plane flying as best it can. I'll take a look at those .air file entries and make sure I'm not talking out my tail-pipes. I would stick to the model file for right now, though. Can you maybe compare the animation to the C model model file? It might tell you why the D model animation doesn't work right with the TacPack files.

Speaking of, does the D model use the Panel.Fleet folder, or does it have it's own? You probably said something about it already, but I am getting senile, and forget easily. Have you tried using the Panel.Fleet folder for the D model's cockpit? It shouldn't show the speed brake extension until commanded by the pilot, regardless of the weapons load. Even the gauge Rob created has provisions in it to keep the speed brake from showing extension due to the weapons. That's what makes me wonder why the D model you've got does show it.

Just some thoughts. I get so very few of them...:indecisiveness:

Pat☺

Hi Pat,

Great input - thanks.

So we're clear, my C version works just fine.

My D model has the air brake issue. So as I mentioned earlier, I did exactly what you just described - I added the D model to the C aircraft folder, and pointed it to a copy of the latest C model panel.fleet (I called it "panel.fleet-D") and aliased the D fltsim panel entry to that, with that particular panel .cfg edited as per your suggestion. That left C fleet panel unaffected, and allowed my D to show correctly.

Now the air brake on the D stays closed unless commanded. So while aesthetically, that's sorted, I acknowledge that I've also now lost the aforementioned performance accuracy on the D. Unfortunately, given where my initial efforts with MDX led me, I concede I'm not able to address the problem correctly by figuring out how to disable the "physical" air brake response and only have the dynamic response. Basically to do for the D what Jimi et al did for the C.

I'm not giving up on MDX yet, I just think I need to explore a simpler problem to fix with MDX than the animation. For example, I'd like to see if I can change the D canopy texture to something a bit more accurate, glass-like. I'll see where that bit of exploration takes me and if I make meaningful progress, will advise.

Thanks so much to all.

Essex
November 14th, 2018, 10:12
Thanks - so are you saying I need to make the change to the .mdl in MCX and the .air file too? I've never edited one of those either. Is AirWrench the tool for that job?

Yes, a recent development release of MCX for the MDL, AirEd or AirUpdate I assume are fine for the air file.

I totally accept that it's very easy to upset the delicate balance of a FDE with minimal effort, but I've got a couple of ideas how to experiment with this, perhaps have a look at the 18D also.

Ganter
November 14th, 2018, 10:34
Yes, a recent development release of MCX for the MDL, AirEd or AirUpdate I assume are fine for the air file.

I totally accept that it's very easy to upset the delicate balance of a FDE with minimal effort, but I've got a couple of ideas how to experiment with this, perhaps have a look at the 18D also.

When we stop innovating and improving on SOH - then we're dead in the water.

However, I have to say - with this particular bird - I think you'll genuinely struggle to make any improvement to the FDE. It is - how should one put it? - Aah yes...Perfect.

But go ahead - Damn it! - I'll fly it. Mind you. I'd fly a house brick if I could get reliable IAS from it.

PhantomTweak
November 14th, 2018, 11:29
Hi, guys!

Just a quick HU about the .air file: I looked at R1101 Line 20. The Cd_ds line. Spoiler drag. I used AAM v2.2. There's a note that reads thus: CAUTION: If CD_ds is set in REC 1540 too, this entry will be ignored
There's no R1540, so THAT's covered.

It also says: Maximum Cds = Cd_ds * Max_Defl(rad) Sec 320

No R320, either, however it will use the entry in the aircraft.cfg, the section [airplane_geometry], line spoiler_limit = 60.0 //Degrees . Notice that the line in the aircraft.cfg is in Degrees, but the formula requires radians.

Given the values involved, it wouldn't take much of a change to either value to have a pretty good effect.
I remember when we were working on setting the value of Cd_ds, it didn't take much of a change to have a rather hefty effect.

Just a quick note, to recommend caution when changing Cd_ds values. :encouragement:

A small note on testing things like this, too: If you use the Reload User Aircraft key combo, ensure ALL the AI traffic is totally off. All the sliders full left. If AI traffic is present when the Reload User Aircraft key combo is used to reload the aircraft to test a change, some of the .air file, Aircraft.cfg, Panel.cfg, etc may not be read, so the changes may or may not take effect. This means Aircraft, ships, road/airport traffic, all the AI.
If you absolutely must leave AI Traffic enabled, it's best to End Flight, exit all the way out to the Free Flight page, and reload the plane from there. Alternatively, go to the Select Aircraft menu on the top menu bar, select a totally different aircraft, like a C172, or whatever, allow it to load all the way, then select the test plane again.
No matter what method you choose, the trick is to ensure FSX dumps all the data from a particular plane, and reloads it fresh.

BTW: The original designer of the plane's model has been absent for several years now. Without being able to receive his permission, publishing any change to the model files is not legal.

Good fortune! I wish you all the best. :encouragement:

Pat☺

ejoiner
November 15th, 2018, 16:03
hi guys, How do I load weapons on the P3Dv4 version? I am using latest build of the FSXBA P3Dv4 version.

PhantomTweak
November 15th, 2018, 22:03
I'm not absolutely certain you need TacPack to see the weapons, but I think so.
If not, have you tried SHFT+7 to call up the Configurator? It's a small, 2D pop-up window, upper left side of the screen. It will have lines with little squares, showing what stations you can load that particular weapon onto.
Note: ALWAYS click on the Guns Only square FIRST, only then go on to select the weapons and fuel tanks you want. This ensures that the BRU pylons will show. If you don't, it will look like the weapons are floating along with the plane, a little below the wings, but not attached in any way.
Creepy! Ghost weapons! AHHHHHH!!!!! :rocket:

Hope this helps a little....
Pat☺

ejoiner
November 16th, 2018, 05:35
I'm not absolutely certain you need TacPack to see the weapons, but I think so.
If not, have you tried SHFT+7 to call up the Configurator? It's a small, 2D pop-up window, upper left side of the screen. It will have lines with little squares, showing what stations you can load that particular weapon onto.
Note: ALWAYS click on the Guns Only square FIRST, only then go on to select the weapons and fuel tanks you want. This ensures that the BRU pylons will show. If you don't, it will look like the weapons are floating along with the plane, a little below the wings, but not attached in any way.
Creepy! Ghost weapons! AHHHHHH!!!!! :rocket:

Hope this helps a little....
Pat☺

Hi Thanks. I have P3Dv4 but dont have tacpack currently installed. (I had it for FSX, but didnt buy the P3D version yet.) I have pulled up the Shift F7 dialog box but it doesnt seem to do anything.

PhantomTweak
November 16th, 2018, 09:46
I have pulled up the Shift F7 dialog box
Actually, it's SHFT+7, not SHFT+F7. Just making sure we're speaking the same language here :)

Did you get a pop-up that looks like this:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64795&stc=1

Not huge, maybe 1/8 of the screen's total size.

Like I said, I won't swear that you must have TP to get the weapons to show, but I think you do. I think all that the non-TP version will allow is the fuel tanks. I can't be certain, though. I don't have P3D in any form.

Also: Are you certain you got the correct version for P3DV4? It matters. There are two downloads on page 1 of the thread, one for P3DV4 and up, one for FSX and P3DV3 and below. Also, bear in mind, v18.4 is a PROTOTYPE. It may not perform as expected, at least not completely. Did you try another version? V18.3, V18.1, whatever?
Once again, though, ensure you download and install the correct version for your sim.

Finally, then I'll shut up, did you let the installer run through completely? Including allowing the .NET Framework install? That can seem to stop running, but it's not. It can look stopped, frozen, whatever you want to call it, for up to 15 or 20 minutes. Just let it run. It WILL finish, I promise.

Let me know how it goes :D
Pat☺

ejoiner
November 16th, 2018, 10:45
Hi. Thanks. that worked. and I am using the 18.465 beta in P3Dv4.

Duckie
November 16th, 2018, 10:57
Sorry if this is not the place to post this but I have a question for all you FSXBA-FA-18 pilots. I have the latest update installed and working (FSXA). Using weapons config is no problem for me.

However, I find the roll axis is very "loose" and fast. I have a 3% dead zone set in my stick in that axis but find it extremely difficult for me to control a hard bank in this Bug. It is very slow to respond to aileron input once a roll has begun resulting in over rotation almost every attempt. It's also very difficult to hold wings level when hand flying even in calm weather. I can make steady gentle banks if I concentrate. Is this the way this bird is supposed to handle in FSX or are there adjustments that can be made for this?

Thanks,

Steve

ejoiner
November 16th, 2018, 12:27
Sorry if this is not the place to post this but I have a question for all you FSXBA-FA-18 pilots. I have the latest update installed and working (FSXA). Using weapons config is no problem for me.

However, I find the roll axis is very "loose" and fast. I have a 3% dead zone set in my stick in that axis but find it extremely difficult for me to control a hard bank in this Bug. It is very slow to respond to aileron input once a roll has begun resulting in over rotation almost every attempt. It's also very difficult to hold wings level when hand flying even in calm weather. I can make steady gentle banks if I concentrate. Is this the way this bird is supposed to handle in FSX or are there adjustments that can be made for this?

Thanks,

Steve

I actually find it sort of the same way in P3D. However, I hadnt really thought about the behavior until you articulated it. I do know the FA-18 has some behaviors that are unique to it based on flap configurations and when you put the gear down etc. I am told it handles well around the boat, but I found it tricky first few times doing carrier landings because it does handle differently.

Victory103
November 16th, 2018, 14:18
I know Jimi+crew are working hard to get the FCS logic accurate for the UA and PA modes of flight, as you are correct the Hornet FCS computers change the flight behavior throughout the evelope. I'm also in P3D now and still need to install it, but my earlier flights in FSX produced that rapid pitch rate the F-18 is known for. I dare not compare the FSXBA to another Hornet on a different platform I'm spending hours in these days, but I'm off to d\l the latest FSXBA P3D beta with Tacpack. Will report back.

PhantomTweak
November 17th, 2018, 11:21
I have a 3% dead zone set in my stick in that axis but find it extremely difficult for me to control a hard bank in this Bug. It is very slow to respond to aileron input once a roll has begun resulting in over rotation almost every attempt. It's also very difficult to hold wings level when hand flying even in calm weather. I can make steady gentle banks if I concentrate. Is this the way this bird is supposed to handle in FSX or are there adjustments that can be made for this?
The dead zones for the controller axes should all be 0 (full left). The FCS' PID controller handles the rest. The only axis this may not apply to is the Rudder axis. That can have a small deadzone to prevent inadvertent actuation of the rudders during other maneuvers. This plane requires no rudder use during most normal maneuvering. There are a few exceptions, like the Pirouette maneuver, that require rudder input, but most don't. It's known in the Navy as a "feet on the floor" aircraft. You don't really keep your feet off the rudder pedals, but you normally don't use them.

May I ask at what speeds and altitudes you experience the "slow-roll" effect? It matters. Normally, btw, once a roll is started, it must then be cancelled. IOW: You move the stick in roll, the plane starts rolling. You center the stick, and the plane will keep on rolling at the rate you commanded, until you throw the stick the other way, thus stopping the roll. The best speeds for cornering are 300-350 KIAS, at altitudes below 25,000' MSL. Rolls in excess of 360° at one time are prohibited.
Also, you want to keep the roll trim set to 0, unless you have un-even wing loads, due to unbalanced ordnance on them.
Presuming the FCS is functioning correctly, it will keep the plane wings level, nose level during flight, with no pilot inputs. You must ensure that you press the FCS Reset button during your normal post-start checks. It will automatically return to the UP position after 1 second.
Like you get the engines fired up, good generator operation, good hydraulic pressure in all 3 systems, press the FCS Reset button, then go to Flaps 1 (or 1/2 if you prefer, different words for the same setting), and press the Pitch Launch Trim button on the Rudder Trim knob, etc etc, before you launch.

Finally, if you suspect the FCS is having trouble, you can reset it with the FCS Rest button, or the Spin Recovery Switch. A 1 second ON-OFF actuation of either will reset the FCS to all 0 settings, and then it begins building the PID settings from a fresh, clean state. Not generally a real good idea during ACM/BFM maneuvering, just fyi. Things might get real interesting for a few seconds :biggrin-new:

I never have any trouble during straight and level flight, or making turns, like a nice sharp break for an overhead recovery, ship or shore. The plane does as I require, when and how I ask it to.

I hope this helps a little...
Pat☺

Duckie
November 17th, 2018, 12:48
Hi Pat. Thanks for the response. Not doing snap roles or other "aerobatics", just want to be able to perform a crisp break turn. The roll rate is not a problem. I have a sturdy (CH) HOTAS with rudders. I've gone to extremes and even slammed the stick to the stops and I just can't keep up with the roll in a sharp break in either direction. Before I can catch the roll it has exceeded 90 degrees and when I do catch the roll it it rolls opposite thru 90 before settling. Maybe its a practice makes perfect kinda thing but I've not had this happen with other virtual jets, pay or free.

Also, couple things I've noticed. The flap switch shows a poke point but does not operate. It shows to be in the "auto" mode all the time (full up). You mention keeping roll trim set to ZERO. I assume you mean-------- the rudder trim knob because I can find no "ROLL TRIM" knob/wheel.

The jet will not fly straight and level for me. I'm constantly "driving" the airplane. And, at all speeds, without constant attention to NU stick pressure, the nose eventually drops after a few seconds, and unless manually corrected with the stick the houses keep getting bigger until you join someone for dinner!

The FCS button does reset but seems to have no affect. BTW, I haven't been able to start the jet manually yet. Is that possible? Battery - ON, APU - ON, Gens - ON, Throttle cracked, Eng Crank (left or right, tried both ways but no matter) spool to 25% and stays. However, CNTRL - E start every time. After start up, press take off trim button.

I have read the manual.

Great looking jet, just haven't been able to have any fun in it yet.

Steve.

PhantomTweak
November 17th, 2018, 23:03
The roll rate is not a problem. I have a sturdy (CH) HOTAS with rudders. I've gone to extremes and even slammed the stick to the stops and I just can't keep up with the roll in a sharp break in either direction. Before I can catch the roll it has exceeded 90 degrees and when I do catch the roll it it rolls opposite thru 90 before settling. Maybe its a practice makes perfect kinda thing but I've not had this happen with other virtual jets, pay or free.
Do you have the stick's Sensitivity full right? And the Null Zones full left, except maybe the rudder?
Do you calibrate the stick with CH software of some sort, or do you use some kind of FSUIPC settings? It's best, if you have the payware version of FSUIPC, to ensure all the joystick settings are default, or not changed in any way. It's also best not to use any sort of CH software to align the joystick. Only use the SIM's Controls menu, the Calibrate button, to do the stick's calibration.

Finally, and this may shoot down two birds with one AIM-9X: Are you using the default, default flight? It's best to allow the default flight that came with the sim to load in to the Free Flight menu window, THEN select the location, and Aircraft.
At worst, use the default flight's plane, the trike in FSX, in cold-n-dark, Avionics ON, magnetos ON and, most important, Mixture full rich.
Once you have the default plane saved off that way in a saved flight, still use the sim's default, default flight, and once the Free Flight window loads up, load up the default plane in the cold-n-dark configuration saved flight you created.
If you prefer, you can use the default C-172 to establish the cold-n-dark configuration. Save it off as a flight, but not the default flight. Let the sim's default, default flight load up in the Free-flight window, the load the cold-n-dark C-172 you created. Once it's fully loaded into the world, switch to the Hornet.

To start, Battery ON, Generators ON, APU started, and allowed to stabilize at it's full speed. Select the Right engine start with the Engine Crank switch by the APU panel. You want the right engine first, because the HYD2 system, which operates the Parking Brake, among other things, is run off the Right AMAD. Watch the Engine page on an MFD, and when the N2 comes up to 20%, then crack the throttle out of the Cut-Off position to Ground idle. Notice, you need to wait for the APU to spin the engine up to 20% N2 before you open the throttle. Also note that it's at this point the reason for having the Mixture Full Rich on the cold-n-dark plane you first loaded becomes apparent. On jets, the Mixture is the Fuel Control. If the engines don't start spooling up once you open the throttle, try hitting CTRL+SHFT+F4. You may not have saved your cold-n-dark flight in the C-172, or whatever plane you chose, with the Mixture Full Rich.
Once the engine spools up to a stable 65% (approx), the Crank Switch will automatically go to OFF. You can then start the Left Engine. Once they are both running stably, hit the FCS Rest switch. Then continue with the Before Taxi checklist.

Yes, the Flaps switch in the VC is non-functional. It's just eye-candy, ATM. You need to use the F5-F8 buttons on your KB. F7 advances the flaps to 1/2, for Take-off for example, then to full, say for landing. F6 will decrease the flaps one setting. F5 is Full Up, and F8 is full down. Handy in the break to select full flaps quickly and easily.
You may also use joystick buttons, of course, to accomplish the same thing.

Roll Trim: There isn't a switch or knob modeled in the VC. In the real plane, it's the Hat Switch on the stick. In the sim, it's CTRL+NumPad 4 or 5 for left or right. Naturally, you can assign the Roll Trim to two buttons on your joystick.
Normally no Roll Trim is needed, though. Just make sure it's set to 0° before you load the Hornet up.
As far as your pitch Trim, check the MFD Checklist page, and make sure it's at 0° Nose Up/Down before you take off. I suspect that either your saved off default flight has the pitch trim set to some nose low degree, or you accidentally trim nose down manually during some phase of your ground checks or take-off procedure. You shouldn't need to touch the Pitch Trim, on the keyboard OR joystick, at any time. The Pitch Take-Off Trim button on the Rudder Trim knob SHOULD be the only pitch trim you ever need to use.
It's automatically set by the FCS when switching to PA mode. IE: Slowing to 250 KIAS, dropping the gear, and going to Full Flaps, while continuing to slow to about 135 KIAS, depending on the Plane's Gross Weight. The FCS will set the Pitch Trim to +8.1°, as displayed on the HUD.

Finally, make sure you wipe the controls just before you start your take-off roll. Last thing to do before you advance the throttles, or before the cat is triggered. This ensures nothing is stuck where it shouldn't be.

Oh, make absolutely certain your cold-n-dark saved flight has no form of Autopilot setting engaged. No FD, AT, Heading Hold, nothing. Not even the Yaw Damper.

Now my fingers are cramping. I hope all this helps somehow!!
Pat☺

Duckie
November 18th, 2018, 08:43
Thanks Pat. Already know/do most of that. The only thing left is to set up a new profile for my stick with no roll or pitch axis dead zones for the jet.

Duckie
November 18th, 2018, 09:54
OK, Pat, setting up the default C172, and adjusting the stick sensitivity to 100% with no pitch or roll dead zones took care of it all. I now have a Bug that starts and flies reasonably well (100% better than it did!).

Thank you for taking the time to offer your suggestions and set me straight. :encouragement::encouragement:

Steve

PhantomTweak
November 18th, 2018, 10:26
Thanks Pat. Already know/do most of that.
I apologise if I give too much information sometimes. I always think "Well, they may know this, but if I don't mention it, they won't, and it will fix the trouble...".
I mean no insult by over-informing. Better to say too much, than not enough :D

Thank you for taking the time to offer your suggestions and set me straight. :encouragement::encouragement:

Yaaay!!
:applause:

Very glad you got it going. Now, one last requirement I may have forgotten to mention, and this is vital: Go enjoy the plane!
That's a requirement of the EULA :biggrin-new:

Pat☺

Duckie
November 18th, 2018, 10:36
I apologize if I give too much information sometimes. I always think "Well, they may know this, but if I don't mention it, they won't, and it will fix the trouble...".
I mean no insult by over-informing. Better to say too much, than not enough :D

No apology necessary. Like an old high school friend used to constantly remind me,"better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." :untroubled:

...Very glad you got it going. Now, one last requirement I may have forgotten to mention, and this is vital: Go enjoy the plane!
That's a requirement of the EULA :biggrin-new:

Pat☺

I plan to do just that!

Thank you, again, for your help.

Steve

MZee1960
January 28th, 2019, 20:45
Hi !

I just installed version 18.3 in my FSX.
The question I have is how to get the ladder, wheel chocks to show ?
Is there a way of removing the pilot also, when aircraft is parked ?
I wish there was an aircraft config panel popup available where these options could be checked.
Shift-e opens /closes canopy for me. Shift-e + 2/3/4 etc. does nothing.

PhantomTweak
January 28th, 2019, 21:57
Well, according to manual, included in the Extras\Documents folder:

6.3.17 Ladder, Chocks & Covers. Effect is tied to an exit function and can be activated/deactivated by pressing Shift-E + 3.

I believe you mus also have both engines shut down completely, with all the hyd pressure drained off, and the battery and both generators to the OFF position on the right side panel.

I am pretty sure that should do it. If it doesn't, it's because Jimi and Team are to busy getting all the other features under control. I'll ask, if you want...

Good luck!
Pat☺

MZee1960
January 29th, 2019, 13:25
Well, according to manual, included in the Extras\Documents folder:

I believe you mus also have both engines shut down completely, with all the hyd pressure drained off, and the battery and both generators to the OFF position on the right side panel.

I am pretty sure that should do it. If it doesn't, it's because Jimi and Team are to busy getting all the other features under control. I'll ask, if you want...

Good luck!
Pat☺

Thank-you, Pat, for the prompt reply. I tried shutting down both engines, hyd pressure drained (saw wing flaps drop down similar to my A2A Mustang when hyd pressure drained), bat. and both generators 'off', and parking brake set - repeated this scenario several times - only once was successful seeing the ladder, wheel chocks and engine exhaust covers show - that was on the Blue Angels trainer version, the other (military) versions were a 'no go'. I am running FSX with SP 1 and 2 (no acceleration). Not concerned with tacpak or weapon deployment etc. - just wanted an 'airshow' type of jet with working autopilot, garmin to fly from point A to B - like civilian jets in FSX. Perhaps a recommendation would be to have the aircraft configuration (ladder, wheel chocks, pilot etc.) show up as a pop up window - same as the 'payload configuration' window for the military version ? On my last flight today with the 'Golden Dragons' repaint, I got an error in FSX : " This graphic card does not meet minimum requirements for shader support. This product requires a geForce3/Radeon8500 class or better graphics card. Flight Simulator will now exit. ". I have had FSX for over 9 years, and never any such error. Running i7 2600k, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7900 GPU, DirectX 11, although FSX is DX9 (not DX10 preview). I temporarily removed this aircraft from FSX , and all is back to normal. Wonder if this 'error' has anything to do with this aircraft being an FSX Acceleration model (hope not, fingers crossed, perhaps a fluke error after playing with it for a long time, changing repaints etc.? ). For my purposes in FSX all seemed to be fine, all VC gauges worked AFAIK, except for the shutdown issues with the ladder,chocks etc. - and also how to make pilot disappear (if possible) from parked aircraft ? If u could check re this further, I would very much appreciate it. I realize this one is still in a 'beta' test phase and hence don't expect everything 100%, just want to know if these are known issues or if these are 'only at my end' - so to speak. Lastly, I just want to say that this is turning out to be one beautiful aircraft, and congratulations to all involved.

Thank-you,
MZ.

MZee1960
June 11th, 2019, 19:41
Just wondering if this project is finished, or ? Haven't heard any news for a while here at SOH. I just wish this aircraft could be packaged in a simple, no frills, no weapons, no tacpack airshow 'Blue Angels' only repaint for the thousands of FSX SP1 and 2 users who do not have the Acceleration addon. Perhaps Jimi could do one ?

ZsoltB
September 11th, 2019, 01:47
How can I remove a pilot?

stovall
September 11th, 2019, 05:48

Zsolt, you can use Model Converter X to remove most anything you wish including the pilot. I have also used MCX to add pilots as well.

ZsoltB
September 11th, 2019, 07:43
Zsolt, you can use Model Converter X to remove most anything you wish including the pilot. I have also used MCX to add pilots as well.

I mean, in a parking position

johndetrick
September 11th, 2019, 14:36

Tell them there is free food at the hotel.

awstub
September 11th, 2019, 15:33
I've never tried it, but if I were to try to make the pilot disappear when parked....I suppose I would use MCX to assign a visibility condition to the pilot parts, like "lever_parking_brake" or something like that.

ZsoltB
September 11th, 2019, 21:49

That I didn't think so...
Are you there?

ZsoltB
September 12th, 2019, 00:24

"free food at the hotel" :wiggle:

https://i.postimg.cc/bY5GcQTw/2019-9-12-10-22-4-983.jpg

PhantomTweak
September 12th, 2019, 11:17
Son-uv-a-gun!
It worked!

I really shouldn't be surprized, I guess. When I went up to Las Vegas with VMFAT-401's Kfirs for a Red Flag one year, in a little hotel, farthest end of the Strip from Nellis they could put us, the pilots, who were staying at a much nicer hotel much farther up the Strip, would show up at our little cheapie hotel every day at about 1700. Why? They put a free sandwich buffet out in the lounge for us to nibble before dinner.

Free food?? Color the pilots there! :running:

I must've gained 10 lbs that 2 week det. While most would go running around the Strip, finding different, good restaurants to eat at, I just walked over next door to the Pelaggio. The place with the super fancy fountains? Yeah, there. They had a HUGE buffet out every night, super good food, about $10.00 per meal. Back then, food in Vegas was very cheap, and plentiful. Now, not nearly so, either cheap, OR nearly as plentiful, ahhhh, but back in the late '80's...
I could gorge on spectacular food, prime rib cut at my direction, lobster tails, you name it, they had it. We worked hard every day at the base, but I guess I ate more than I worked off... :redfire:

Have fun, all!
Pat☺

ZsoltB
September 12th, 2019, 11:54
:biggrin-new::encouragement::ernaehrung004:

MrZippy
September 12th, 2019, 13:31
The only thing better than Pat's freebie was about 15 years ago I went to a 2 week training class in Sandy Eggo and we were put up in a Comfort Inn suites. Free breakfast (not much more than cereal and muffins, but a Denny's in the parking lot). Now the good thing was a free Happy Hour every evening...beer, wine and a few mixed cocktails. Training class?? I don't even remember that part of it:very_drunk:

goshawk45
September 12th, 2019, 18:14
Love the jet, but I have fps issues whenever I get into the air, no clue why. Does anyone else have these problems with it?

PhantomTweak
September 13th, 2019, 09:55
No, Gosh (Gosh no??? :biggrin-new: ), I don't know many, if any, with an FPS hit from this bird.
Do you have the latest version? Do you have the proper version for your sim, IE: do you have the FSX/P3DV3 and below version, not the P3DV4 version? Do you have the DX10 Preview ticked? Do you maybe have an older system? Or perhaps have too numerous a set of background tasks running? A lot of windows open?
Do you have the sim in Windowed mode, not Fullscreen?
Maybe a high FPS load scenery installed where you're flying? Sliders for the various AI stuff too high? Like, try turning the slider for Airport vehicles down a ways, along with Street vehicles, or 3D Clouds, those give a big processor load...

I'm just trying to think of possibilities here, shotgunning, as we used to say...

Good luck!
Pat☺

goshawk45
September 13th, 2019, 13:46
I have good system specs, 3.5ghz processor, 2gb vram, 8gb ram, and I've tried turning the settings way down, but it doesn't seem to help. Maybe I don't have the latest model, can you share the link to the latest model?

PhantomTweak
September 14th, 2019, 11:29
Just to be certain, you're running FSX Accel, and want the latest confirmed version, or the latest BETA version?
Needless to say, the Beta version isn't perfect yet.

Anywho, you can find the latest, non-beta version, V18.3, here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wpfjdjyaaLfuDdxOMk7VLdVrG0koa2jM
The BETA version, V18.4, is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qn3y2uldzgZrPJbth2uW9S5GlgrBiykh

If you have TacPack, I'm currently working on adding AGM-88 HARM missiles to it. Mainly working on the fine details, now. I have the missiles on the plane, and they can be fired, as long as you're pointed somewhere near the SAM site that's painting you. Now, I'm working on the MFD pages unique to the HARMs, like the automatic Pullback mode, where if the plane detects an active SAM site painting you, it selects HARM missile, regardless of whatever else you may have selected, so all you have to do is fire one or two off to protect yourself.
Fun stuff like that. Not super easy for an XML tyro like me, but it's coming along :D

Like I mentioned, make sure you're not flying in a dense scenery area, or an area with a complex, high-CPS usage, setup. A lot of add-on scenery can really load the CPU.
Same with 3D clouds. They will eat FPS faster then nothin' else.
Finally, make sure you don't have a lot of background apps running.

A 3.5 GHz processor is a bit slow, but should do the job fairly well, as long as you don't load it up too bad. You can try locking your FPS at 30, also. It often helps the CPU by making a lighter load overall for it.

Hope something in here helps a little...
Pat☺

goshawk45
September 15th, 2019, 06:13
Thanks Pat, I'll give it a try!

Ganter
November 20th, 2021, 10:59
So. Lot's to do to the Super Hornet in MSFS.

When are you guys getting started?

I want to go fly.