PDA

View Full Version : A question about Acceleration Hornet speed brake...

Navy Chief
February 16th, 2009, 16:23
Ahoy all.

I have been wanting to post this question, and keep forgetting.

Here goes. When I deploy the speed brake on the FSX Accel. Hornet, it does not seem to slow the aircraft down quickly at all.

Maybe I am just used to things happening faster in simulation, is this actually the normal flight characteristic for this aircraft?

Thanks.

NC

Boomer
February 16th, 2009, 17:07
They seem about right to me.

You have to bear in mind that speed brakes offer diminishing returns. The faster you are the more effective, the slower the less.

Also realize that some virtual aircraft have over modeled the speed brakes. I have seen some that will almost come to a stop in mid air.

Navy Chief
February 16th, 2009, 17:40
Hey Boomer,

I am sure you are correct in all aspects! That in mind, how would I go about modifying the effectiveness of the speed brake in this model to increase its effectiveness?

Thanks.

NC

AckAck
February 16th, 2009, 19:08
I would imagine that you would need to edit the AIR file (using AirED or AirWrench, or similar). There is a section under 1101 Primary Aerodynamics that is Cd_ds Drag Coefficient - Spoiler (set to 98 as the default value). You should be able to bump that up to increase the drag of the spoiler. (Flaps are 164, so it will go at least that high.)

You may want to try several values to see what feels right to you. I don't know if that will effect other handling characteristics, although I wouldn't think so.

And as always - create a backup version first. (and why is that always the LAST thing someone says?)

Brian

Navy Chief
February 16th, 2009, 19:25
And as always - create a backup version first. (and why is that always the LAST thing someone says?)

Brian

Yes, and I am guilty of NOT doing exactly that!!

NC