PDA

View Full Version : Orbx Oshkosh

MustangL2W
July 2nd, 2018, 20:02
Why hasn't Orbx tackled Oshkosh yet??? The busiest, most famous Airport in the United States for one week a year!

wombat666
July 3rd, 2018, 00:34
Why hasn't Orbx tackled Oshkosh yet??? The busiest, most famous Airport in the United States for one week a year!

Your answer is probably in your question.
:173go1:

Josh Patterson
July 3rd, 2018, 03:40
Why hasn't Orbx tackled Oshkosh yet??? The busiest, most famous Airport in the United States for one week a year! I feel your pain.... There is one good freeware out there that populates Aeroshell Square (or whatever they call it this year) the warbirds area and ultralight field. Also, dots on the runway!

KChapman
July 9th, 2018, 11:46
I remember either John Venema or Holger said on the FSBreak podcast (episode 61, I think) that ORBX doesn?t wish to work on airports outside their regional coverage areas.

Bomber_12th
July 9th, 2018, 12:10
I agree, I've long hoped for a detailed, lifelike presentation of Wittman Field/Oshkosh. ORBX aren't the only ones that could do it well - thinking the likes of Turbulent and Flightbeam just to name a couple.

For this year's show, coming up in a couple weeks, I had high hopes that the P-47 "Dottie Mae" and the newly finished Jim Slattery Brewster F3A-1 Corsair would be going, but both have been confirmed as not attending this year. The Texas Flying Legends newly restored P-51C "Lope's Hope 3rd" will be there (one of the top two most authentic P-51's flying today - the other of the two, "Sierra Sue II", will be there as well), as will the Texas Flying Legend's newly restored Bearcat (at least that is the plan). Tom Reilly's XP-82, which is scheduled to attend, should have its first test flight sometime this week. Although the Brewster Corsair won't be there, there are quite a number of other Corsairs that should be there this year, including John O'Conner's F4U-7, recently completely refurbished and refinished as a mid-50's Marine AU-1, in the unique grey/white Quantico scheme never seen before on a restored Corsair. There are quite a few Spitfires scheduled to attend too (at least for a US show) - including Ron Lauder's Spitfire Mk.1 P9374, Vintage Wings of Canada's newly restored Spitfire Mk.IX, and the CAF SoCal Wing's Spitfire Mk.XIV. Both of Jim Slattery's matching Tigercats are scheduled to be there as is the recently painted "Special Kay" Counter Invader. The B-29 "Doc" will be back at Oshkosh again this year, "several" P-40's are scheduled, the recently painted "That's All Brother" D-Day C-47 will be there, both of the two oldest jet aircraft flying today, the F-86A and a Gloster Meteor, are scheduled to be there - in addition to of course the regulars (always the 20+ Mustangs, 70+ AT-6's, good number of B-25's, DC-3's, etc., and so many other types).

dhasdell
July 9th, 2018, 12:35
I remember either John Venema or Holger said on the FSBreak podcast (episode 61, I think) that ORBX doesn?t wish to work on airports outside their regional coverage areas.
That's as may be, but they have done Bar Harbor in Maine.
https://orbxdirect.com/product/kbhb

IanP
July 9th, 2018, 13:02
Don't forget that sometimes, especially when they bring on new designers, the scenery developers do what they want, it gets past the Orbx acceptance procedure and is published by them - it's not been "commissioned" by Orbx, just published by them.

Not sure if that's the case with Bar Harbor or not...

Ian P.

Josh Patterson
July 9th, 2018, 13:16
I agree, I've long hoped for a detailed, lifelike presentation of Wittman Field/Oshkosh. ORBX aren't the only ones that could do it well - thinking the likes of Turbulent and Flightbeam just to name a couple.

For this year's show, coming up in a couple weeks, I had high hopes that the P-47 "Dottie Mae" and the newly finished Jim Slattery Brewster F3A-1 Corsair would be going, but both have been confirmed as not attending this year. The Texas Flying Legends newly restored P-51C "Lope's Hope 3rd" will be there (one of the top two most authentic P-51's flying today - the other of the two, "Sierra Sue II", will be there as well), as will the Texas Flying Legend's newly restored Bearcat (at least that is the plan). Tom Reilly's XP-82, which is scheduled to attend, should have its first test flight sometime this week. Although the Brewster Corsair won't be there, there are quite a number of other Corsairs that should be there this year, including John O'Conner's F4U-7, recently completely refurbished and refinished as a mid-50's Marine AU-1, in the unique grey/white Quantico scheme never seen before on a restored Corsair. There are quite a few Spitfires scheduled to attend too (at least for a US show) - including Ron Lauder's Spitfire Mk.1 P9374, Vintage Wings of Canada's newly restored Spitfire Mk.IX, and the CAF SoCal Wing's Spitfire Mk.XIV. Both of Jim Slattery's matching Tigercats are scheduled to be there as is the recently painted "Special Kay" Counter Invader. The B-29 "Doc" will be back at Oshkosh again this year, "several" P-40's are scheduled, the recently painted "That's All Brother" D-Day C-47 will be there, both of the two oldest jet aircraft flying today, the F-86A and a Gloster Meteor, are scheduled to be there - in addition to of course the regulars (always the 20+ Mustangs, 70+ AT-6's, good number of B-25's, DC-3's, etc., and so many other types). Are you going? Let's meet up for a day!

MustangL2W
July 13th, 2018, 17:13
[QUOTE=Bomber_12th;1145836] P-47 "Dottie Mae" and the newly finished Jim Slattery Brewster F3A-1 Corsair would be going, but both have been confirmed as not attending this year.

Ugh!!! Say it isn't so!!! I wanted to see "Dottie Mae" so bad!!!

fsafranek
August 1st, 2018, 12:33
This might be the scenery Josh was referring to. Until someone does better it should suffice, at least for that one week.

https://www.theskylounge.tv/files/file/39-fsxa-oshkosh-airventure-2016-kosh/ (might require signing in)

:ernaehrung004:

Josh Patterson
August 1st, 2018, 12:52
This might be the scenery Josh was referring to. Until someone does better it should suffice, at least for that one week.

https://www.theskylounge.tv/files/file/39-fsxa-oshkosh-airventure-2016-kosh/ (might require signing in)

:ernaehrung004:
No, that's not what I have. It's better! The flight line looks a little more populated. Would like to see warbirds parking and north 40 so Ima gittin' it!
Edit. Just installed it. Warbirds is empty and the north 40 is sparse, but the Sportair workshop pavillions look really good and it has the old tower if you're feeling nostalgic. (I really do miss it myself.) The file I have is KOSH_v2_2015b. Google it and you should find it easy. The only thing I don't like about it it the tower view is insanely high off the ground but I have yet to learn how to change it. (I would like my viewpoint to be about six feet off the ground at show center on the flight line!)

wombat666
August 1st, 2018, 20:47
Don't forget that sometimes, especially when they bring on new designers, the scenery developers do what they want, it gets past the Orbx acceptance procedure and is published by them - it's not been "commissioned" by Orbx, just published by them.Not sure if that's the case with Bar Harbor or not...
Ian P.

I'm not an 'insider' but I do keep track of what's discussed on the forum and it would appear that many of the development teams (or individuals) do just that, they have a pet project and it generally suits the ORBX philosophy.
Then you have co-operative projects like Turbulent Designs Big Bear scenery combined with ORBX goodies and available via the ORBX site.
Bill Womack rejoined some short time ago with a couple of 'his' projects and this announcement appeared just yesterday-"ORBX Simulation Systems has recently purchased all digital assets from Earth Simulations Ltd, which ceased trading in 2015".
Oshkosh would be a welcome addition but is relatively insignificant in the overall ORBX scheme of things (given they are covering the planet), while the obvious question might be 'Why has Oshkosh been ignored by the American developers?".
Answers on a postcard please.
:applouse: