PDA

View Full Version : T-33 upgrade needed

flyingboxcar
June 29th, 2018, 11:20
I am running P3Dv4.2, soon to upgrade to v4.3. I have the T-33 installed, but of course the gauges do not show up. Anyone interested in re doing the gauges for this plane? It is a very nice plane, looks good, flies good, but there are no gauges. It is beyond my capability to do this. Here is a link to the plane in question.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/102729-T-33X_v10152016-zip?highlight=T-33X_v10152016.zip
Thanks.

falcon409
June 29th, 2018, 13:47
I haven't flown this airplane in a long time (got too many others, lol). You did the installation correctly but I believe some of the original gauges may have been "98 gauges which are no longer compatible, also if they were dll gauges, those no longer work in P3D. . .so several things could be the cause.

I wouldn't mind doing the replacement work, but I don't have the time right now. . .heading off to Tennessee for vacation starting Sunday. If someone else picks this up before I get back (July 8th) all well and good. . .otherwise I'll pick it up then.

docjohnson
June 29th, 2018, 16:28
The panel gauge files are in the gauges folder, and unfortunately, they are 32bit .gau files (read they are 32 bit DLLs), so I would need to see the code to recompile them to 64 bit. So if someone can contact the author and allow me to have a copy of the Visual Studio project that they were created with, I'm pretty sure that I could get them to 64 bit or rewrite them to do so.

I compile 32bit and 64 bit DLLs all the time for an upcoming payware aircraft so it all has to do with the author granting access.

falcon409
June 29th, 2018, 19:34
Jim, I'm pretty sure the original gauges were done by Piglet, which precludes being able to get any permission. No one has had any luck finding him and the last contact was when we did the conversion to native FSX. . .Tim gave permission for that to be done to radioman123 and that was about 8 years ago.

docjohnson
June 30th, 2018, 05:52
That's too bad, although I was researching a way to build a 64-bit wrapper/interface around a 32-bit DLL. I'll keep tinkering with it. It's just an idea at this point If I get a chance to test it and it works I'll use the T-33 as a test bed.

flyingboxcar
June 30th, 2018, 08:58
Thanks for the interest, Guys. I sent a private message to 000rick000 and here is his reply.

Thanks for your interest Howard. Unfortunately, I'm not the gauges guy. You might have some luck with asking about this in the general forum. There were only 3 of us who upgraded the package and 2 of us have moved on to DCS as our main combat sim. But I don't think we did anything to the general gauges...a tacpack entry was created using a template to add the guns and rockets. however If they use .dll files they would need to be completely replaced with 64 bit versions. I am not currently working in P3D. Though I wish you luck in finding someone who might be able to help you. You might start with a general posting in the forums asking for a gauges guru. Good luck!
Rick

I don't know if this helps you or not.
Thanks
Howard

cookedinlh
June 30th, 2018, 09:52
By Flyable I mean IFR cockpit. I flew T-33 in Gimli MAN on the Advanced Jet Course waaaay back when . . really would love to see this project work for P3D v43 and use it with Sim Skunk Works G-91 F-104 and others of that vintage. I don't do gauges other than tweeking/testing something that already works pretty much . .. but I do do Special Effects a bit on the side, so if anyone interested needs help there call I'm happy to participate. Good at beta-testing too.
Dave Cooke
<cookedinlh> on skype as well

docjohnson
June 30th, 2018, 20:40
If that's the case than anyone who knows how to use panel studio, XML, and read the SDK can write the gauges.

flyingboxcar
July 4th, 2018, 01:13
I assume you are correct, Jim, but I do not have that talent. Hoping someone will volunteer here.
Howard
:redfire:

falcon409
July 8th, 2018, 08:02
Back from vacation. This is what I put together in about 2hrs. this morning. This was shot in P3D_V4.2

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/T-33A-p3d_v4.2.jpg

semo
July 8th, 2018, 08:08
Looks very nice Falcon. Can it be published?

falcon409
July 8th, 2018, 08:09
There are other switches and warning lights that will go to the right of the Canopy Jettison placard, nothing on the lower panel is functional save the "Parking Brake". The layout and placement of the gauges was taken from a close-up shot of a T-33A cockpit. The center checklist is not shown in that version, however after all the time I spent locating one I could read (it is shown on some versions) and then transcribing it onto something we could actually make out. . .I was putting in there. . .call it artistic license.

falcon409
July 8th, 2018, 08:22
Looks very nice Falcon. Can it be published?

I am checking to be sure the gauges are all freeware. Some are suspect and if I can find freeware alternatives I will replace them. Problem is, as with most of us, over time we add and delete so many aircraft that the origins of many of the gauges becomes a guessing game.

These are the gauges used for the VC Shown:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/T-33A_gauges.jpg

Victory103
July 8th, 2018, 15:04
Thanks falcon409 for the work on this, I'm adding "Piglet" favorites into 4.2 and so far as long I put the gauges in right, they work. Skyraider, Super Taco, and F-5 in, looking at the T-33, OV-10, and of course the Loach/Little Bird (OH-6).

docjohnson
July 8th, 2018, 15:46
Good work Falcon409!

docjohnson
July 8th, 2018, 15:50
Wow it turns out someone over in Europe figured out a way to do it.

http://www.dllwrapper.com/dllwrapper_services.htm

Too bad its that expensive.

falcon409
July 9th, 2018, 14:54
Gauge update has been uploaded to the SOH downloads section. This also includes new Hi-Res VC textures and VC updates. These are the textures that were included when the original updated Native FSX version was released about 8 years ago. Over time they were apparently dropped for textures someone else deemed better, Ha!

One note on the textures included. . .I condensed my texture folders to include only the exterior texture and a texture.cfg file. . .all remaining textures were moved to a common texture folder. If you've done the same then dropping the two new textures into that one texture folder is all that's needed. If you kept the original configuration (all texture folders containing all the files) then you'll need to drop those two new textures into each of your texture folders to ensure they show correctly.

semo
July 10th, 2018, 09:41
Thank you very much for this excellent work!! Now I can start making lobster runs in vv7L940 from NAS Glenview to NAS Brunswick again.

falcon409
July 10th, 2018, 10:05
Thank you very much for this excellent work!! Now I can start making lobster runs in vv7L940 from NAS Glenview to NAS Brunswick again.
Glad it's working for you. I have since added one thing to the lower panel. . .a speed brake light to indicate when it's deployed and also replaced one of the two VSI gauges (Bill "WND" noted that discrepancy). I left the one up by the ASI and replaced the one on the right side of the panel with an RMI.

Victory103
July 10th, 2018, 15:24
falcon409, just climbing down from my 1st test flight. Great job on this and the Piglet T-33 is in P3Dv4.2. I'm using Tacpack, so all worked there, I just noticed the tool tips for the fuel gauge continually showed "Zero" lbs. The fuel gauge never seemed to move, but this is probably an airfile adjustment, a non-afterburning early turbojet like the J-33 should be a little more thirsty.

falcon409
July 10th, 2018, 16:07
falcon409, just climbing down from my 1st test flight. Great job on this and the Piglet T-33 is in P3Dv4.2. I'm using Tacpack, so all worked there, I just noticed the tool tips for the fuel gauge continually showed "Zero" lbs. The fuel gauge never seemed to move, but this is probably an airfile adjustment, a non-afterburning early turbojet like the J-33 should be a little more thirsty.
I saw the discrepancy with the fuel gauge as well. I had another in it's place that worked very well, but turned out it was from a payware airplane from way back when and so I pulled that out and dropped this one in thinking it would be fine . . . .obviously not.

flyingboxcar
July 11th, 2018, 07:57
Falcon409,
Thanks for your efforts. I have installed your files where I think they should go, but no joy.
I am running P3Dv4.3, not v4.2, if that makes a difference.
I installed your gauges into my main gauges folder.
I have not created a common texture folder.
I am trying to get things working in the model called USAF and I installed your new textures into that planes texture.usaf folder.
In the original panel folder I renamed the panel.cfg to panel.old.cfg and installed your new panel.cfg
I installed your t33_r-con.bmp into the panel folder
No joy. I still see the panel the way it was when I started all this.
I noticed that inside the planes panel folder, there is a file called gauges with a ton of gauge files inside, so I thought maybe your new gauges should go there and I installed them.
No joy.
Am I doing something wrong here? Or maybe your update will not work in P3Dv4.3, only in v4.2?
Ant help here will be greatly appreciated as I do not pretend to know what I am doing. Just trying to follow instaructions.
Thanks again.
Howard

falcon409
July 11th, 2018, 10:08
Falcon409,
Thanks for your efforts. I have installed your files where I think they should go, but no joy.
I am running P3Dv4.3, not v4.2, if that makes a difference.
Howard, at this point I suppose anything is possible, however, the gauges I supplied are the only gauges needed and must be used with the panel folder and panel.cfg file I supplied. Anything else should be removed to eliminate any possible conflicts.

I installed your gauges into my main gauges folder.
I have not created a common texture folder.
All that is fine, so no problems there.

I am trying to get things working in the model called USAF and I installed your new textures into that planes texture.usaf folder.
In the original panel folder I renamed the panel.cfg to panel.old.cfg and installed your new panel.cfg
I installed your t33_r-con.bmp into the panel folder
Still don't see anything amiss at this point

No joy. I still see the panel the way it was when I started all this.
That shouldn't be happening if there's no common folder. It tells me that the Sim is calling the textures from some other folder other than the "texture.usaf" folder. If you placed the two textures I sent (t33_02 and t33_03) into that folder for that airplane then when it loads it should, by rights load the textures in that folder. . . .odd indeed

I noticed that inside the planes panel folder, there is a file called gauges with a ton of gauge files inside, so I thought maybe your new gauges should go there and I installed them.
No, as mentioned above, no other gauges should be in your panel folder. If you've already placed the gauges I sent (all cab files and not to be unzipped) into the main gauges folder then no other gauges are necessary. You placed my panel.cfg in the panel folder and renamed the old one and placed the supplied gauges into the main gauges folder. . .that's all that was necessary aside from placing the two textures into each of your texture folders. Actually, if you haven't already. . .do just that to eliminate any conflicts. . .place those same two textures into all of your texture folders, that way, there is no possible way you should still see any old textures.

I've heard from several others who have had no problems thus far, but as we know every setup is different and what works for one may not work for others.

flyingboxcar
July 11th, 2018, 11:35
Well I have tried everything I can think of and no joy yet.
Lets make sure I am using the right airplane to start with. This is the title of the plane I downloaded.
T-33X_v10152016.zip
I am slightly confused by something you said in your last reply. In one area you said to put all the gauges into the main P3D gauges file. Then later you say to put the gauges (not unzipped) into the main P3D gauges file. There is no gauges.zip in the download. There is a gauges file inside the main zip file, but no gauges.zip as such.
Are we sure this should work in P3Dv4.3?
Here is a shot of what I am seeing, which has not changed from the first time I viewed the plane and panel.
Thanks,
Howard

falcon409
July 11th, 2018, 12:25
Well I have tried everything I can think of and no joy yet.
Lets make sure I am using the right airplane to start with. This is the title of the plane I downloaded.
T-33X_v10152016.zip
I am slightly confused by something you said in your last reply. In one area you said to put all the gauges into the main P3D gauges file. Then later you say to put the gauges (not unzipped) into the main P3D gauges file. There is no gauges.zip in the download. There is a gauges file inside the main zip file, but no gauges.zip as such.
Are we sure this should work in P3Dv4.3?
Here is a shot of what I am seeing, which has not changed from the first time I viewed the plane and panel.
Thanks,
Howard
Ok, judging from the picture, the textures I sent are displaying correctly. . .the only thing not showing are the gauges. I apologize for the confusion. . .so going back to square one:
There is a zipfile named T-33_Panel. Inside that zip are two folders ("Gauges" and "Panel"). All the cab files in the gauges folder go to the main P3D gauges folder. That takes care of the gauges. Inside the panel folder is the panel.cfg file and a pop-up bitmap. That panel.cfg file must be used in order for the correct gauges to show in their proper positions. The bitmap. . .at this point is of no concern.

No other gauges should be in the panel folder. If those two steps are followed you should have the update in place.

Priller
July 11th, 2018, 13:32
Falcon,

Even if the older gauges are still present, your (brilliant I might add) update works like a charm!

Thanks for bringing back the T-33 back into P3Dv4.3!!

Priller

flyingboxcar
July 13th, 2018, 09:55
Falcon409,
We are making progress.
A friend that I fly with on DC3airways.com, a VA primarily for DC-3 lovers, has solved the problem with the gauges not showing up. Here is his text:
Howard, this is what I get so far. It's been difficult . Like you I followed all instructions with a result only two gauges showing. Files overwriting each other, how to know what to keep. Then I noticed that in the aircraft.cfg for every plane it reads: panel=tacpack. My panel had no name, so for one plane I changed it into panel= (just removed tacpack) with the result as shown on the screenshot. I’m not there yet: not all buttons work (should they?) and there’s no sound.
Since we do not even know what tacpack is, obviously that was the problem. I have made that change to all the planes and now they all have the panel as shown in your earlier post. And the important gauges work. So now we have a working panel.
I have a problem with the flaps. They are either full up or full down. I assume there should be incremental positions but cant make that happen no matter which key I press they go full down or full up. I programme that function to two buttons on my joystick but cant get the desired incremental positions.
I have since added the sound file from j33sndfs.zip and we have good sounds.
There is an auto pilot and it works, but the next problem is that there are no radios. Should there be? If they are already there, how do we activate them to see the heads and change frequencies? Can we add some if there are none?
The plane flies and looks great. Thanks for your help so far.
Howard

falcon409
July 13th, 2018, 13:01
Glad to hear, I don't have Tackpac so that wasn't even on my mind with all this. As for the radios, I mention in the readme that I removed the pop-up for the radios because they were payware items and I didn't have anything V4.2 compatible in freeware to replace them with. There are radios on the LH console however.

Switches, buttons, sounds, etc, that don't work are beyond the scope of my update, which was only concerned with new gauges and textures. If you've succeeded in getting those back, then you're good to go.

DennyA
July 13th, 2018, 14:06
Thank your for the work, Falcon409!

If anyone gets everything fully debugged, can you post the changes/tweaks here, to save us all reinventing the wheel? Hoping to install later this weekend!

Cheers!

falcon409
July 13th, 2018, 15:25
Thank your for the work, Falcon409!
If anyone gets everything fully debugged, can you post the changes/tweaks here, to save us all reinventing the wheel? Hoping to install later this weekend!
Cheers!
I've only heard from 4 or 5 people out of the 78 that have downloaded the update, of those that responded, flyingboxcar has been the only one to have this sort of problem. . .which appears to have been caused by an incorrect "panel=" setting in the aircraft.cfg file. Beyond that, at least for my part of the update, nothing else has shown itself to be a problem really. I guess if others have tweaks or changes to share please feel free to add them to the conversation.

flyingboxcar
July 14th, 2018, 04:05
Hi Falcon,
OK, getting more things figured out here.
For some reason when I next loaded up the plane in P3Dv4.3, more things worked. The flaps now have three positions, up, half, and down and they work with the F5, 6,7, and 8 keys as they should, and I programed them in my options/controls with two buttons on my joystick.
Found the radios in the left side panel view and they work. I saw them before, but didn't put my curser on the right spot to change the frequencies. Will have to see if we can find a second NAV and an ADF to add. Found the auto pilot up in the top menu bar inside Vehicle/Instrument Panel/Auto Pilot and it works well. I just did a couple of ILS landings using the autopilot Approach feature and that works. Shot a couple ILS uncoupled and the gauge and plane work well. There is also a Garmin 500 there and the right side panel.
So, all things considered, we now have a usable T-33 for P3Dv4 to use, thanks to you.
I guess maybe someone will tweek the panel farther with added radios and a usable fuel quantity gauge, etc., but for now we can go flying.
Thanks for your help. You get 3 Atta Boys for this.
Howard

blanston12
July 14th, 2018, 07:30
Hi Falcon, I just downloaded and installed your update and used the same version of Piglets T-33 as FlyingBoxcar (filename: T-33X_v10152016.zip) and initially had the same problem with the panel. Here are all the modifications I made to get it to my liking in P3D v4.3. Now so you know where I am coming from I always make every effort to install all add-ons OUTSIDE the main P3D folder and try to keep them as self contained as possible. The T-33A is now in the add-on folder I use for Tim's aircraft. Note all the changes I had to make were in Rick's aircraft conversion not Falcons panel.

So here is what I did

1) Copied all of Falcons gauges and panel files into the main panel folder

2) In the aircraft.cfg file changed the titles from

title = T-33A ...

to

title = Lockheed T-33A ...
(I am very fussy about my titles, this change is optional)

3) And changed all the panel=tacpack or panel=ew133 to panel=

4) The sound file in Ricks packaged aliased the lear45 so I found the sound files from the Alpha P-80 and copied those into the sound folder replacing the existing sound.cfg file. (If you don't have that conversion find something else similar.)

And now I am happily flying Piglets fantastic T-33 in P3D v4.3, thanks for everyone's efforts.

flyingboxcar
July 28th, 2018, 08:03
Maybe someone could add more radios to this panel? There is only one now. A pop up window would do for selecting the frequencies as long as there is a OBS or some other direction gauge on the panel.
My neighbor was T-33 instructor in the Air Force back in the late 1950s and I have his original check list and his original Dash One book with lots of pictures and descriptions of every gauge on the fron and rear panelas and both front and back right and left side panels. Of course the Dash One book explaines in detail all the different systems. I can scan anything you might need and post or send it to anyone who can contribute to this cause.
Thanks
Howard