PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Arriving

jmfabio
June 27th, 2018, 08:42
HI All,

I have not posted in a while as springtime and summer are a busy time for me outdoors, with more work than I have time for.

I have, however, managed to order a new computer. The 8 year old one has served me well but no longer up to the demands I want to place on it.

Some specs i7 8700K, 16GB Single Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X and windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

I plan to use FSX Gold (or FSX-SE) and possibly Prepar3d V 4.x and I am thinking maybe DCS.

Questions;

1. I should update windows before I do anything else, Right.

2. If I use both FSX and Prepar3d what do I do with my ORBX? Can I use it in both at the same time by pointing scenery library to one location.

3. If I go with Steam only, the folder structure is the same as FSX right? except for maybe putting it into a steam folder.

4. My windows 7 is OEM and tied to the MoBo. If I clone that drive could I install on the new machine for dual boot and have it work?

These are all that I can think of at the moment. I know about not putting FSX in Program Files.

Any other tips, hints, advice are welcome.

I am still working on the Morotai scenery and progress is slow because of other work considerations.

Thanks,

Joe

blanston12
June 27th, 2018, 09:27
Of the question I can answer:

2. If I use both FSX and Prepar3d what do I do with my ORBX? Can I use it in both at the same time by pointing scenery library to one location.

Not sure if you can have both use the same folders, you can have orbx in both at the same time, I installed in one, copied the folder into the other and ftx central picked it up so you don't have to re-download all the content again.

3. If I go with Steam only, the folder structure is the same as FSX right? except for maybe putting it into a steam folder.

Yes, if you get any steam DLC it goes into a different folder but the normal stuff is where you expect.

Priller
June 27th, 2018, 10:19
Hi,

1. Yes you should
2. you can install ORBX in both
3. The folder structure is the same, but the root is different: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
4. That might create some problems, because if you clone the whole drive, the drivers of the old comp will be in there.

Cheers,

Priller

hairyspin
June 27th, 2018, 13:08
4. You might find the new rig doesn't fully support Windows 7.

Craig Taylor
June 27th, 2018, 13:49
You might want to consider moving Steam in its entirety out from under the default Program Files location. I don't know if FSX-SE will install outside of steamapps/common, and this would eliminate issues with FSX and Program Files (x86).

Stefano Zibell
June 27th, 2018, 14:25
You might want to consider moving Steam in its entirety out from under the default Program Files location. I don't know if FSX-SE will install outside of steamapps/common, and this would eliminate issues with FSX and Program Files (x86).

Steam can only manage one folder per drive. So if the plan is to move FSX to another drive then yes. I'm not sure if you can change the default location (for C drive).

blanston12
June 27th, 2018, 14:34

You can always create a link (shortcut) from where it should be to where steam put it, that way most apps won't know the difference.

blanston12
June 27th, 2018, 14:34
Steam can only manage one folder per drive. So if the plan is to move FSX to another drive then yes. I'm not sure if you can change the default location (for C drive).

You can change where the base steam folder is or at least which drive it installs on, I have mine to the second disk.

jmfabio
June 28th, 2018, 05:32
Of the question I can answer:

Not sure if you can have both use the same folders, you can have orbx in both at the same time, I installed in one, copied the folder into the other and ftx central picked it up so you don't have to re-download all the content again.

Yes, if you get any steam DLC it goes into a different folder but the normal stuff is where you expect.

Thanks Joe, That clears things up. The rig arrives today but it will be a long slog getting it set up.

Joe.

jmfabio
June 28th, 2018, 05:33
Hi,

1. Yes you should
2. you can install ORBX in both
3. The folder structure is the same, but the root is different: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
4. That might create some problems, because if you clone the whole drive, the drivers of the old comp will be in there.

Cheers,

Priller

Thanks Priller, never even thought about the drivers.

Joe

jmfabio
June 28th, 2018, 05:36
4. You might find the new rig doesn't fully support Windows 7.

Hairyspin, Now this thread is a good example of "two heads are better than one", in that you and Priller have both suggested possible problems that have not even occurred to me.

Thanks much,
Joe

Priller
June 28th, 2018, 09:47
Hey Joe,

Not wanting to sound like a Mr. Knowitall, I'm just wondering why you would clone a Windows 7 installation on a Windows 10 install. Windows 10 is a far superior operating system and makes better, more efficient use of the available resources.

If and when you need help in setting up the rig and the installation, a lot of us here would be more than willing to provide pointers and help.

Cheers,

Priller

Desert Rat
June 28th, 2018, 13:26

Wasn't aware of this, nice to know, thanks.

Steam can be set up to use more than one location though. I have 4 physical drives on my rig, C: for windows, programs, etc. G: for games, default steam location. F: for my dedicated flight sims including a Steam flight sim location and D: for my documents. works okay.

Jamie

blanston12
June 28th, 2018, 14:22
Actually I think it can, when you first select to download a package I believe it gives you a choice of drive or locations, but its been some time since I did that.

jmfabio
June 29th, 2018, 05:49
Hey Joe,

Not wanting to sound like a Mr. Knowitall, I'm just wondering why you would clone a Windows 7 installation on a Windows 10 install. Windows 10 is a far superior operating system and makes better, more efficient use of the available resources.

If and when you need help in setting up the rig and the installation, a lot of us here would be more than willing to provide pointers and help.

Cheers,

Priller

I think just as a short cut to not have to reinstall everything. I know everyone would be willing to help, that's why I love this forum.

The computer arrived yesterday AND my wife returned from a 2-1/2 month stay with one of her son's to help with grandkids. Really tough decision which one to spend more time with.:semi-twins:

I shall return.

Joe

Navy Chief
June 29th, 2018, 08:48
I ordered a system almost identical to the one you just bought. Already acquired a Samsung Odyssey VR headset, and am getting fitted for contacts so I can use the headset without scratching the lenses with my glasses. My system should be here in about another week. NC