PDA

View Full Version : navigation lights

Spad54
June 26th, 2018, 05:59
We're hoping that someone will be able to shed light on a solution to a problem we've encountered with our next project, the Boeing Stearman fully compatible with P3D V4. One of our testers is reporting that he is able to get navigation lights visible in his installation. The lights are 3D modeled using an attachpoint to cause the lighting effect to be visible at the light lens location. It uses effects files that are located in the main Effects folder in P3D and a .bmp file that is located in the Effects Texture folder. Others on our team using P3D V4 are not able to reproduce this problem, reporting that lights are working on their installs. Do any of you know of what might block the lighting effect in P3D V4? Your assistance will be greatly appreciated and if one of you points us in the direction of a solution we'll comp with a copy of the completed project. By the way he has the add-on Chase Plane installed as well Thanks

Dimus
June 26th, 2018, 06:16
P3D is using a different order of priority than FSX when common folders are concerned. As you mention that a bmp file in the effects folder is used, you may wish to check if there is a conflict of filenemes with a bitmap present in another folder having the same filename. To rule this out I would suggest renaming the bmp to something very unique and specific and make sure the correct filename is referenced in the effects text file.

Spad54
June 26th, 2018, 07:57
P3D is using a different order of priority than FSX when common folders are concerned. As you mention that a bmp file in the effects folder is used, you may wish to check if there is a conflict of filenemes with a bitmap present in another folder having the same filename. To rule this out I would suggest renaming the bmp to something very unique and specific and make sure the correct filename is referenced in the effects text file.

That's a great thought and I'll try that straight away. I'll let you know the outcome

Spad54
June 26th, 2018, 08:58
That's a great thought and I'll try that straight away. I'll let you know the outcome

That did not correct the problem but in testing helped me discover the effect file may have been the problem all along. I need to test further but if indeed that turns out to be the case, we have solved the problem and I'll be sure to let you know when the model is ready and get you a copy. Many thanks

RobM
June 26th, 2018, 09:36
Just another thought, I don't know how useful: does the person with the problem have the plane installed in an
outboard .xml folder, whereas all the other testers have theirs installed in the v4 main folder?

I ask because I had a problem with the vc click sounds not working in the Phantom when I tried to install in my
outboard .xml folder. Moving to the v4 main folder solved that.

- RobM

Spad54
June 26th, 2018, 10:13
Just another thought, I don't know how useful: does the person with the problem have the plane installed in an
outboard .xml folder, whereas all the other testers have theirs installed in the v4 main folder?

I ask because I had a problem with the vc click sounds not working in the Phantom when I tried to install in my
outboard .xml folder. Moving to the v4 main folder solved that.

- RobM

No that was not the case. Turns out that when I did as suggested and modified the bmp file to a unique identifier and then modified that fx file it killed the effect. That making no sense caused me to go back to my PartsDataDef file to crosscheck the effect name associate with the attachpoint and low and behold it was not the effect I was using. The red herring that preventing my discovery is that other than this one tester all others have all of the previous effects files installed from previous projects that this tester did not. Changing the .bmp file name sent me down the path to solution. Just waiting to hear from the fellow with the issue to see if he indeed now has the effect working. If not I'll be back Thanks