PDA

View Full Version : WWII fighter simulator

LouP
June 13th, 2018, 19:36
Hi Guys,

What's the best one these days? Still CFS3??

LouP

Daube
June 13th, 2018, 21:40
CFS3 ?
Isn't the IL-2 series the best since more than 10 years or so ?

Dimus
June 13th, 2018, 22:38
Several modern options to choose from. My current favorite is the newest Sturmovik series:

https://il2sturmovik.com/

A Battle of Bodenplatte is upcoming which will include a western Europe map.

For Battle of Britain scenarios there is Cliffs of Dover/Blitz, which has evolved a lot:

https://il2sturmovik.com/store/cliffs-of-dover/

COD is the most cost effective as you pay once and you get all the flyable planes in the package. The others include some planes but offer additional ones separately as "collector planes", although the prices are reasonable.

Both these sims have amazing modern graphics and good flight and damage models that literally blow you away.

Finally, if you are into DCS, there are WWII planes and the Normandy map. Although the planes, like the Spitfire MkIX that I bought are really good, the map was a disappointment for me and the AI are not that good. It seems WWII is currently a sidetrack for DCS but may evolve in the future. Pricing in DCS is quite high IMHO compared with the previous ones mentioned.

Naismith
June 13th, 2018, 23:52
Check out some of Bismarck's videos to give a good example of Il2 these days.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Bis18marck70/videos
Great history site too btw.

LouP
June 14th, 2018, 18:49
Thanks Dimus, IL2 Cliffs of Dover is really cool. Great graphics and runs really smooth. It may take a bit to get everything set up just right but no hurry. Like what I'm seeing so far. Now only if I can get better at spotting the enemy. All I shot down so far was a couple of CR42s. Once I get this nailed sown, I'll probably get the whole eastern front next.

LouP :-)

Dimus
June 14th, 2018, 22:08
Thanks Dimus, IL2 Cliffs of Dover is really cool. Great graphics and runs really smooth. It may take a bit to get everything set up just right but no hurry. Like what I'm seeing so far. Now only if I can get better at spotting the enemy. All I shot down so far was a couple of CR42s. Once I get this nailed sown, I'll probably get the whole eastern front next.

LouP :-)

That is great! If you're flying Hurri's or Spits, it is of great importance to set up your gun convergence distance at the one you most often use to shoot. They had just .303 machine guns and no cannon so it is important to get all 8 of them firing the mass of bullets at your target in order to have effect. I like getting up close so I have this set to 180 meters. Unfortunately you have to set this for each gun separately and for each plane subtype so it takes a while.

The eastern front series (which will ultimately also have west Europe and Pacific included) is more modern in terms of graphics engine and even better optimized for performance. The COD series will soon also include a North Africa map and related plane set. Different dev teams but both marketed through 1C.