PDA

View Full Version : Review - ORBX TrueEarth EU Netherlands

Christian Bahr
June 8th, 2018, 13:42
Hello all.

The Gunter Schneider aka Viking01 and Klaus aka Ubootwilli have sat at a review for TrueEarth Netherlands of ORBX and now summarized their assessments and published. Anyone wishing to read this informative and critical report can do so here: EU Netherlands TrueEarth (ORBX)

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60915&stc=1 (http://review.friendlyflusi.de/2018/06/08/orbx-netherlands-trueearth-hd-english-version/)
Schiermonnigkoog, Picture: (c) 2018 Klaus und Gunter

A German version of the report is available here: EU Niederlande TrueEarth von ORBX (http://review.friendlyflusi.de/2018/06/08/orbx-netherlands-trueearth-hd/)

Roger
June 8th, 2018, 15:15
Looks great in P3D, but since that review, John Venema has announced that the version planned for FsX has been cancelled as it needs a 64 bit simulator to run well.

wombat666
June 8th, 2018, 22:59
I'm a sucker for ORBX and am really impressed with the Netherlands.
Makes sense to pick this as their 'prototype' TrueEarth country, no great elevation changes, lots of water(!) and very scenic.
And just FTR my P3D4.2 installation is just South of 400G!
I blame it on ORBX.
:biggrin-new:

jmig
June 10th, 2018, 04:37
Looks great in P3D, but since that review, John Venema has announced that the version planned for FsX has been cancelled as it needs a 64 bit simulator to run well.

That doesn't sound good for FSX only boys and girls. The last two Milviz betas were first built for PD3 V4 and then FSX. I think PD3 V4 is becoming the standard platform for developers. There are things that can be done in PD3 V4 that can't easily be done, or done at all in FSX.

scotth6
June 10th, 2018, 05:29
To be more precise, FTX Netherlands for FSX and 32 bit versions of P3D hasn't been completely cancelled, but it has been put on hold indefinitely due to issues with OOMs. If a solution to the OOMs is found then the product will be released for those sims. It is a long standing issue with 32 bit sims, and anyone who uses photoscenery over large areas would no doubt have come across the issue.

In general, there have been a number of well known developers who have stated from the time of P3DV4's release that they would only be developing for 64 bit going forward.

jeansy
June 12th, 2018, 00:45
That doesn't sound good for FSX only boys and girls. The last two Milviz betas were first built for PD3 V4 and then FSX. I think PD3 V4 is becoming the standard platform for developers. There are things that can be done in PD3 V4 that can't easily be done, or done at all in FSX.

several scenery devs have already stated they have ceased fsx development, there are will more to follow including aircraft devs

Mach3DS
June 12th, 2018, 04:52
The future of flight sim is 64 bit. That is a certainty. For devs, having to hold on to 3 platforms that are 32 bit is crazy! FSX, FSXSE and P3Dv1-3, is asinine. I can tell you having beta tested during this crazy period that trying to keep up with all those platforms is an utter NIGHTMARE. WE the consumer will get FAR BETTER products when the devs can focus on a single platform and spend all their energy on that platform only. It really causes burn out when you develop something for one platform, iron out most of the bugs in it, then basically start from scratch with the FSX's and discover the same problems and the solutions are not the same...It will be better for all once we have consensus among most devs that P3Dv4+ is the future and we can leave the past in the past.

Javis
June 12th, 2018, 05:39
Well said, Rick ! :encouragement:

During the coming of age of MSFS it has always been the same procedure: with every new version of FS you simply scrapped the current version and upgraded your computer or bought a new one. Still the same now with exception of having to buy a new computer (in general terms) and instead of MSFS it's now called P3Dv4.

MSFS has run its course. P3Dv4 is the Mother Of All Flightsims. Madness for devs to keep dragging on with FSX, a thing of the past.

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

Still valid :smile: