PDA

View Full Version : Milviz Beaver - Updated FDE!

stearmandriver
May 24th, 2018, 17:24
All,

I know there have been a few discussions here about the flight dynamics of the MV Beaver. I know that I've been one of the folks who was a little critical of certain aspects of it, particularly elevator effectiveness / tail behavior on the ground. I'm pleased to say MV has heard us, and there is a replacement FDE available on the MV Beaver support forum.

As far as I'm concerned, she's now the perfect flight sim bush plane. This is just what I have been hoping for... not only does her behavior match what you see when you watch real Beavers take off and wheel land, but it FEELS right. I put up a quick video demo (I felt I kind of had to, after being critical of this in my first video). But I encourage anyone who likes this plane to try out the new FDE!

https://youtu.be/7_sW8dF1vRE

fliger747
May 24th, 2018, 20:12
I might comment:

I did the original FDE for the Beaver and have done in real life maybe 2000 takeoff's and landings as one as PIC?

What could I possibly have known?

T

roger-wilco-66
May 24th, 2018, 20:42
That comes a bit as a surprise to me. I didn't feel there was anything wrong with it, quite the contrary. Most of my flying is bush flying and the Beaver has become a favourite for that.

Cheers,
Mark

stearmandriver
May 24th, 2018, 20:58
Tom,

I have a great deal of respect for your work on the FDE, and your experience. I have no wish to sound argumentative. But if I remember right, you're the one who told me tail behavior on takeoff in the sim was the result of the difficulty modeling propwash. Maybe it was someone else, but that came from MV.

It's also obvious to anyone who watches a Beaver take off - no experience required - that the tail comes up easily, instead of wallowing up at 55mph. You can't simply tell us we're all seeing things ;-).

I really do appreciate your work on the model, and MV being responsive to customer input. Thank you!

stearmandriver
May 24th, 2018, 21:00
Mark,

From what I can tell, all that was adjusted was elevator effectiveness on takeoff and wheel landings. She flies the same in every other way, and I agree - that's a good thing.

roger-wilco-66
May 24th, 2018, 21:54
Thanks for the clarification. I'll give it a try over the weekend!

Cheers,
Mark

kdl
May 25th, 2018, 00:48
Am I correct?
This FDE update is only for the "DHC-2 Beaver Milviz" folder. (not for Ski, Tundra, Stol etc)

Dieter

stovall
May 25th, 2018, 05:54
Dieter, partially correct. BASE, STOL and CROPDUSTER are the folders. Any folder with MilvizDHC2_Base.AIR. The others should follow soon.

odourboy
May 25th, 2018, 09:26
Definitely enjoying these tweaks to the FDE! :encouragement:

Rudyjo
May 25th, 2018, 12:50
Dieter, partially correct. BASE, STOL and CROPDUSTER are the folders. Any folder with MilvizDHC2_Base.AIR. The others should follow soon.

Installing the new FDE into the base model will also update the STOL model? The STOL model is the only wheeled version I use.
Thanks to Stearmandriver for the news of this update, I would not have known about it, I would have thought that Milviz would have sent out an e-mail notice to Beaver owners that the update was available for download.
And thanks to Milviz for listening to their customers.

Navy Chief
May 25th, 2018, 13:50
Why does MV make it so difficult to find this forum? I own this model, yet when I sign into the MV forums, I do NOT see the DH-2 listed under Support forums.:banghead: Why? NC

THibben
May 25th, 2018, 14:00
Where is the file located? Would like to download.

Thanks,

Tom

Navy Chief
May 25th, 2018, 14:01

Thanks,

Tom

Yep, that's what I am asking as well. I went to watch that video. In the comments below the video, it references the support forum for the DH-2, but am not seeing that forum listed on the MV forums site. NC

THibben
May 25th, 2018, 14:06
Yep, that's what I am asking as well. I went to watch that video. In the comments below the video, it references the support forum for the DH-2, but am not seeing that forum listed on the MV forums site. NC

I wonder if we just have to re-download the whole file?

Tom

lownslo
May 25th, 2018, 14:09
Link to the FDE thread: https://milviz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=9444

Link to the support forums log-in: https://milviz.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=150

HTH,

Greg

Navy Chief
May 25th, 2018, 14:10
I wonder if we just have to re-download the whole file?

Tom

I thought the MVAMS was supposed to do auto updates for models purchased? NC

Navy Chief
May 25th, 2018, 14:11
Link to the FDE thread: https://milviz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=9444

Link to the support forums log-in: https://milviz.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=150

HTH,

Greg

I get a message popup that says I am not authorized. WTF? NC:banghead:

Rudyjo
May 25th, 2018, 14:14

Thanks,

Tom

The correct path to the new FDE is.....Milviz.com\ forums\support forums\DHC-2Beaver forum\alternative FDE.
You must be logged in to get beyond "FORUMS"
I also could not find it until I realized you must be logged in.

stearmandriver
May 25th, 2018, 14:55
Guys,

My impression is that this is kind of an experimental revision to the FDE, released in a thread on the support forum to see what people think. It's not yet an official update, which is why it's not coming via MVAMS (yet; sounds like it probably will eventually.)

MV requires authorization to access the support forum. If I remember right, when you open MVAMS, there's an email address at the bottom of the splash screen you have to email with proof of purchase to get access to the support forum, as an additional anti piracy measure. Kind of a pain, but you only have to do it once, and you can't blame developers for wanting to safeguard their work.

speedy70
May 25th, 2018, 15:18
Chief when you buy a new product from milviz you should contact oisin at milviz and register the product.He will then include you on that products forum.
This FDE has not gone through MVAMS because it is not a new FDE but an adjusted FDE alternative to the existing one for those that found the existing one unsatisfactory.
I did not experience this and have not bothered installing the alternative one.
Cheers Chris

Navy Chief
May 25th, 2018, 16:50
Chief when you buy a new product from milviz you should contact oisin at milviz and register the product.He will then include you on that products forum.
This FDE has not gone through MVAMS because it is not a new FDE but an adjusted FDE alternative to the existing one for those that found the existing one unsatisfactory.
I did not experience this and have not bothered installing the alternative one.
Cheers Chris

Chris, thanks for the explanation! NC

n4gix
May 26th, 2018, 06:37
Milviz will not push out experimental 'fixes' until they have been fully vetted. It would not be fair to customers. :applause:

lownslo
May 26th, 2018, 09:11
Milviz will not push out experimental 'fixes' until they have been fully vetted. It would not be fair to customers. :applause:

Thank you! :encouragement:

Greg

BendyFlyer
May 26th, 2018, 15:52
I noted the mod via the MV Forums on a visit there but have not tried it.

I would like to make a general observation about some so called mods in general with respect to controls and their responsiveness or not which is the result of some very good advice given by A2A (along with a video as proof of concept) that a lot of so called control issues users and customers experience, actually go back to the control sensitivity settings being used by them and most in FSX. In summary they recommend the sensitivity sliders for all the controls to full right and the null zones back to zero or nil. You can see the difference in the videos in the way the control surfaces move and respond to stick inputs.

Here is the link: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=47744

My only observation is this - the advice is correct if the model, air file etc are well done (most of them are) and all my control issues or response problems have disappeared. This is not to say that some models may need a little tweak but for a variety of types, tail draggers, tricycle undercarriage, one or several engines, big and or heavy I now find thanks to A2A and this much unknown aspect of tuning the sim, I have few if any problems at all.

manfredc3
May 26th, 2018, 16:00
Not sure what's all changed in the alternate FDE, but after installing it I crashed during take-off.

Guess I over-compensated with right rudder. Third attempt was finally successful.

2 times a charm, I guess :jump:

Enjoying this FDE.

stearmandriver
May 26th, 2018, 18:31
I I agree, A2A's advice is good about controller sensitivity and null zones. I've just started flying the VRS Superbug and they emphasize this as well. I tried resetting sensitivity to default out of curiosity and find it makes a big difference with the bug.

None of that helped in getting the Beaver's tail off the ground though... But this FDE does ;-).

cavaricooper
May 27th, 2018, 00:12
Andrew-

Based solely on your posting, I've reinstalled the Beaver (my tail wheel is intact) and am heading out of Bowerman this morning... fingers x'ed!

https://i.imgur.com/a4jz64f.jpg

Thanks for the heads up, I'm cautiously optimistic :). BTW, the clipping of the radio digits in the panel were not fixed, but there was a helpful post here (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/105880-MV-DHC-2-Beaver-released!/page5) at SOH that took care of that.

C

Timmy74
May 28th, 2018, 00:33
Hello gentlemen. Could someone please post what the load outs should be for the tail to come up as promised from this new FDE? I have installed it but i am not getting any difference in take off..!?!

Thank you.

LouP
May 28th, 2018, 05:59
The installer prob has the original FDE, just a guess though. Why not apply the update after backing up your original files and see what happens?

LouP

stearmandriver
May 28th, 2018, 08:56
To clarify, this alternate FDE doesn't come via an update. It's available for download on the Milviz Beaver support forum, and consists of a .cfg file and a .air file which must be manually replaced. If you haven't done that, you don't have the new FDE.

You'll know when you do, it's extremely noticeable on takeoff and landing ;-).

kiki
October 23rd, 2018, 23:08
Why the link to the discussion takes me to a page stating: "
You are not authorised to read this forum."?? And yes, I am logged in.