PDA

View Full Version : Rev 1.50 Issues........

Saxon_Krieger
May 8th, 2018, 17:40
I have the ETO files on a backup HD, that I have trying to get installed. I get up to Rev 1.4 Hofix and everything works fine. ERA Swapper works, ETO Flies, starts, shuts down fine. When I install Rev 1.50 (following instructions) and try to start ETO, get error msg "Windows can not find cfs3". This has happened 3 times. I think either I have a corrupted install file or the install instructions are bad (instructions dated 2016). I am following them to the letter. They direct to unzip the '1.50 Obsolete File Remover.bat' and copy into the main ETO Folder, change the Compatibility to XP SP3 and run it. Then run the 1.50 Update. I am ensuring the ERA is in 1 and the Spawns are in 1. I delete the View.UI file and test each update in ERA 1 plus one other ERA.
It hoses things up so bad the ORIF Fix does not work, and I must rip the entire install out and start over. Any ideas???

Thanks,

Saxon_Krieger
May 8th, 2018, 18:39
OK, my ETO Rev 1.5 is working fine, but here is what I found:

After I ran the ETO 1.5 Remover .bat file, it removed all of the edits I made to the ETOGLSwapper.bat file, changing the file path back to C:\Program Files\Microsoft....removing the (x86). The check-mark for "Read Only" was in place ?? The same edits were made to the MASTERSATRUP.bat file, Read-Only Check-Mark in place, as well ??

Why didn't the ETO Remover .bat file for Rev 1.4 have this effect? ETO started just fine after running that file.
Is there something in the instructions regarding copying the zipped .bat file into the main ETO folder and then running it?

Any insight would be comforting...

mongoose
May 9th, 2018, 05:32
I would say it's quite hard for someone else to pin point what's happening in this case on an individual install; in spite of your quite clear explanations. It's been quite a while since I installed ETO and now I always keep a clean 1.5 versions for future needs. Have you unzipped the zip file elsewhere to see if only a batch file and if so, checked what it says? Compared with the 1.4 version? What changes to the other catch files, other than drive, did you make?

Saxon_Krieger
May 9th, 2018, 14:23
Thanks for the response mongoose,
The ETO Rev 1.50 Install Pack contains 19 separate files/folders. One being the ETO 1.50 Rev File Remover .zip file. This .zip file contains 3 files, the .bat File Remover, a .txt file and a .rtf file. The instructions for running the .bat file are the same in both the .txt and .rtf files: Unzip the file, copy/paste the .bat file into the main ETO folder and run. Then apply the Rev 1.5 Update, run the .bdpzapper, ect. During the ETO install, I followed available printed and youtube instructions as perfectly as possible. Keep in mind, my ETO install files have been stored on a back-HD since 2016. With the OZx site down, I can not download anything new.

I am curious as to why the 1.40 Remover .bat file did not make these changes to my .bat files.
I know some may question my personal installation steps (did he really replace the check mark in the Read Only box?); Since this occurred on 3 consecutive install attempts, and ETO worked fine after the 1.40 Hotfix, I believe it implausible that I would make the same error 3 times in a row.

When I get time, I will perform a new ETO install, and save the changed files outside of ETO, so I can just re-install them. However, making the edits over is not a big deal. Figuring out if the ETO 1.50 File Remover.bat file is defective would be nice.
Maybe I just have a corrupt file.

mongoose
May 9th, 2018, 14:44
This is what my copy of the batch file says. No mention of altering anything else.

@ECHO OFF
CLS
REM REMOVE ETO OBSOLETE FILES FROM INSTALL 30-12-2014
ECHO.
ECHO THIS PROGRAM WILL REMOVE OBSOLETE FILES FROM ETO EXPANSION rev 1.40 INSTALL's in prepration for 1.50 installation.
ECHO.

rem ETO Expansion rev 1.40 files to be removed

DEL /s /f /q "aircraft\DR_Engine_Sounds\BR_Engine_Napier_Sabre_2 4_cylinder_open_pit\Sound\sound\*.*"
RMDIR "aircraft\DR_Engine_Sounds\BR_Engine_Napier_Sabre_2 4_cylinder_open_pit\Sound\sound"

DEL /s /f /q "aircraft\W40_H75A3\*.*"
RMDIR "aircraft\W40_H75A3"

DEL /s /f /q "vehicles\g_jagdpanzeriv\*.*"
RMDIR "vehicles\g_jagdpanzeriv"

DEL /s /f /q "CFS3 ETO Expansion ORIFs Re-Install Cumulative Rev 1.40.exe"
DEL /s /f /q "CFS3 ETO Expansion Update Rev 1.40 fileremover.bat"

Saxon_Krieger
May 10th, 2018, 16:07
Well....
After another clean install, I found the culprit; The 1.5 Remover.bat was NOT the offender after all. I checked the ETOGLSwapper.bat file after the 1.40 Hotfix install and the (x86) edits and Read Only check-mark were in place. Per instructions, I ran the Remover.bat, then deleted it from the main ETO folder. Checked the said file again, edits still in place. Cool. I ran the 1.50 Update, the bdzapper, ect, tried to start ETO, ERROR MSG: Can not find cfs3.exe...REALLY :banghead: . Checked the Swapper.bat file...Read Only check mark in place...(x86) edits GONE :pop4:.

I started with a clean CFS3 3.1 copy, tested each Rev in more than ERA, followed the written and TAilwind's youtube instructions to-the-letter. Reedited the swapper.bat file and it works fine.

Not a catastrophe-my ETO works, but this is WEIRD.

Daiwilletti
May 10th, 2018, 23:13
Well....
After another clean install, I found the culprit; The 1.5 Remover.bat was NOT the offender after all. I checked the ETOGLSwapper.bat file after the 1.40 Hotfix install and the (x86) edits and Read Only check-mark were in place. Per instructions, I ran the Remover.bat, then deleted it from the main ETO folder. Checked the said file again, edits still in place. Cool. I ran the 1.50 Update, the bdzapper, ect, tried to start ETO, ERROR MSG: Can not find cfs3.exe...REALLY :banghead: . Checked the Swapper.bat file...Read Only check mark in place...(x86) edits GONE :pop4:.

I started with a clean CFS3 3.1 copy, tested each Rev in more than ERA, followed the written and TAilwind's youtube instructions to-the-letter. Reedited the swapper.bat file and it works fine.

Not a catastrophe-my ETO works, but this is WEIRD.

I suspect that if you look at the last line of the ETOGLswapper.bat it refers to starting cfs3.exe. Hence the message "can't find cfs3.exe" is only because of the read only issue you have discovered. All this reinstalling becomes unnecessary once you have identified what is going on. Good catch on finding the read only notation - very strange for a file that may need editing.

mongoose
May 11th, 2018, 06:27
AFAIK all the batch files have the read only box ticked as I know I have to un-tick it each time I mess with the batch files.

Saxon_Krieger
May 11th, 2018, 07:47
Exactly mongoose, but why is the 1.5 Update Editing a Read Only file ? Not that really matters (I guess), now the problem is id'd, but it is perplexing:dizzy: non the less.