PDA

View Full Version : Add Afterburner

simtech
May 3rd, 2018, 14:40
In the past six weeks, the flt. sim community has been gifted many first rate products; Dave and Piglet's F-4, Bob Richardson's F-106 and Milton's exceptional
XF-92.:jump:

One of the crowning features of the X-92 is the superb sound...most notably the Burner light and the burner roar. (AB-Bang and AB_Loop). Dave's F-4 and Bob's F-106 could definitely benefit from these two sounds. I have been unsuccessful in upgrading these two aircraft with these particular sounds. I've included the dsd_fsx_xml_sound gauge in the panel and the XF-92A_xml_sounds folder in either aircraft and even edit the corresponding sound config and edited the aircraft config for the AB light vs throttle position. :dizzy: This outstanding effect would greatly enhance the F-4 and the Delta Dart. Is it possible to enhance these two aircraft or am I just whistling Dixie on this one? Any help or enlightenment would be appreciated. Again, not taking anything away from these exceptional models, I fly them daily, it would be just a cherry on top of the icing on the cake. Thank you in advance for your help. Blue skies.. Terry

spokes2112
May 4th, 2018, 10:08
Make sure the path to the sound.ini is correct in the gauge 30 entry.
Gauge 29 is the controller, you must use it to control sounds.

gauge29=xf92a!XF92A_Effects, 0,0,1,1
// P3Dv4 //gauge30=dsd_p3d_xml_sound_x64!Sound, 2,2,2,2, .\SimObjects\Airplanes\XF-92A\XF-92A_XML_Sounds\XF-92A_sound.ini
gauge30=dsd_fsx_xml_sound!Sound, 2,2,2,2, .\SimObjects\Airplanes\XF-92A\XF-92A_XML_Sounds\XF-92A_sound.ini

simtech
May 4th, 2018, 10:33
Spokes2112..Thank you for the reply. I'm starting to think this problem is unsolvable. my entry in the F-106 panel.cfg is:
gauge01=dsd_fsx_xml_sound!Sound, 2,2,2,2, .\SimObjects\Airplanes\XF-92A\XF-92A_XML_Sounds\XF-92A_sound.ini

My tired ole eyes may be missing something, but it looks pretty much as to what you have. This one is a bugger, that's for sure. Any other ideas? http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon28.gif

Milton Shupe
May 8th, 2018, 15:29
Spokes2112..Thank you for the reply. I'm starting to think this problem is unsolvable. my entry in the F-106 panel.cfg is:
gauge01=dsd_fsx_xml_sound!Sound, 2,2,2,2, .\SimObjects\Airplanes\XF-92A\XF-92A_XML_Sounds\XF-92A_sound.ini

My tired ole eyes may be missing something, but it looks pretty much as to what you have. This one is a bugger, that's for sure. Any other ideas? http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon28.gif

I assume you are using FSX, not P3Dv4 based on your statement above. Otherwise the 64-bit dll would be needed.

In this statement, you need to change the aircraft folder name to the one you are working on:

For example:
gauge01=dsd_fsx_xml_sound!Sound, 2,2,2,2, .\SimObjects\Airplanes\F-106\XF-92A_XML_Sounds\XF-92A_sound.ini

The statement should be in the VCockpit section if you have one.

EDIT: As Spokes2112 mentioned above, the gauge29=xf92a!XF92A_Effects, 0,0,1,1 statement must be in play as well. Put it in your panel.cfg with the other statement above.

The XF92A_Effects gauge controls the sounds; it is in the xf92a gauges folder; it must be copied out and placed in a new folder in your panel folder named xf92a. Just create a folder of that name in your panel folder; copy the XF92A_Effects gauge to it.

simtech
May 8th, 2018, 20:21
Milton, Thank you very much for the suggestions. I will get back on it and let you know what happens. Thank you...Terry

I setup the "effects" folder in the panel as you suggested. I also placed the "gauge29=xf92a!XF92A_Effects, 0,0,1,1 statement above the sound.ini. but perhaps it's too late for my eyeballs, upon initialization, a message says it can't find the XF-92A\sound.ini so it's using the "default" dsd_fsx_xml_sound.ini. I will resume my search tomorrow morning. I even placed the XF-92A\sound.ini in the panel folder, but still for some reason fsx wants to default to the dsd..version.

PhantomTweak
May 8th, 2018, 21:08
The trick with adding AB's to a plane isn't just adding an effect, or sound. You need the right entries in the aircraft.cfg and .air files to make them function as well.

aircraft.cfg:

[TurbineEngineData]
afterburner_available = 20 //Afterburner stages available?
afterburner_throttle_threshold = 0.80 //Percent of throttle range where a/b begins
AfterBurnThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 1.74 //TSFC with afterburn/reheat engaged

The .air files entries are a bit more complicated:
Record: 1521 Engine Reheat Available=TRUE (1)
Record: 1524 Turbine Reheat Thrust Factor vs Mach No.
It's best to copy the above record from another plane that already has one.
Then you can adjust the graph's curves as needed to make it accurate.

All this will add the actual thrust and fuel consumption involved. Much better, and more accurate, than just a sound or pretty light.

ALL CREDIT to Rob Barendregt for teaching me about this. It's made SUCH a big difference on any number of planes!
Thank you sir!
Pat☺

simtech
May 8th, 2018, 21:38
Pat, no truer words were ever spoken.. I did modify the aircraft.cfg, but haven't gone to the .air file yet. My main object is to hear and "feel" the lighting of the AB. Once I get that accomplished, I'll fine tune the flight characteristics. You're right, if I don't alter the performance, just like putting lipstick on a pig..it won't mean anything. Thank you for your tips.

simtech
May 9th, 2018, 16:05
After several hours sleuthing, I have been unable to find out why upon aircraft initialization, fsx can not find
the correct sound.ini.http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60261&stc=1
Not sure how to post pix of the folders. I attached them . I'll try..

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60258&stc=1 This is the Convair F-106 simobjects\airplanes folder. I added the XF-92A sound folder directly from the XF-92A

next is thehttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60259&stc=1panel folder where the xf92A effects gauge is located along with the sound gauge from the XF-92.
I'll try to post the panel config..http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60260&stc=1 The highlighted area is where I understood a suggestion that the folder should be the current working aircraft. I have also tried directly using "XF-92A" in lieu of this no difference. FSX can't seem to find the XF-92A\sound.ini and it's located in the aircraft's "XF-92A_xml_sounds" folder. I apologize for being dense, but I'm missing something key. FSX always defaults to the dsd sound ini, but doesn't see the XF-92. Whereas the XF-92a aircraft works great.. any ideas?? Thank you in advance. Terry

Milton Shupe
May 9th, 2018, 16:51
The gauge01 statement is incorrect.
It should read xf92a folder instead of Convair F106A.
The gauge01 statement says, " find the gauge in the panel folder inside the xf92a folder."

Ensure that the sound.ini is in fact in the XF-92A_XML_sounds folder.

Also, try putting a copy of the sound folder in the panel folder as well to see what happens.

EDIT:

BTW, did you change the sound.ini file to point to the F106?

[Sounds]
Sound00=./SimObjects/Airplanes/Convair F106A/XF-92A_XML_Sounds/AB_Loop.wav
Sound01=./SimObjects/Airplanes/Convair F106A/XF-92A_XML_Sounds/AB_Click.wav, -200
Sound02=./SimObjects/Airplanes/Convair F106A/XF-92A_XML_Sounds/AB_Bang.wav
Sound03=./SimObjects/Airplanes/Convair F106A/XF-92A_XML_Sounds/Buffet_Loop.wav
Sound04=./SimObjects/Airplanes/Convair F106A/XF-92A_XML_Sounds/Gear_Wind_Loop.wav
Sound05=./SimObjects/Airplanes/Convair F106A/XF-92A_XML_Sounds/VC_Avionics_Loop.wav
Sound06=./SimObjects/Airplanes/Convair F106A/XF-92A_XML_Sounds/AB_Clack.wav, -500
Sound07=./SimObjects/Airplanes/Convair F106A/XF-92A_XML_Sounds/VC_Battery_Loop.wav

simtech
May 9th, 2018, 19:54
Milton,..hmmmm. oops..I guess I was under the wrong impression that if I pointed to the XF-92a folder (aircraft) it would suffice. Obviously, I am mistaken. I started with the the XF-92A name for the effects folder. I just changed it to read F-106. But I had NOT changed the ini file to reflect anything regarding F-106. I'll give that a shot. I'll also put a copy of the sound folder in the panel and see what happens.. Thank you for the tips...I shall return.....:running:

I'm back:
Ok, I put all references to sounds 00 to sounds 07 to F-106 as you suggested, and even put the XF-92a_xml_sounds\xf-92A_sound.ini in the panel folder but the aircraft still wants to init on the dsd_fsx_xml_sound.ini instead of the xf-92A_sound.ini. I can't prevent that, even if I rename the dsd_fsx_xml_sound.ini.
Almost time to put this to bed tonight, and fly your havoc or the XF-92. That's a hoot. I need a break..

Milton Shupe
May 10th, 2018, 04:06
Milton,..hmmmm. oops..I guess I was under the wrong impression that if I pointed to the XF-92a folder (aircraft) it would suffice. Obviously, I am mistaken. I started with the the XF-92A name for the effects folder. I just changed it to read F-106. But I had NOT changed the ini file to reflect anything regarding F-106. I'll give that a shot. I'll also put a copy of the sound folder in the panel and see what happens.. Thank you for the tips...I shall return.....:running:

I'm back:
Ok, I put all references to sounds 00 to sounds 07 to F-106 as you suggested, and even put the XF-92a_xml_sounds\xf-92A_sound.ini in the panel folder but the aircraft still wants to init on the dsd_fsx_xml_sound.ini instead of the xf-92A_sound.ini. I can't prevent that, even if I rename the dsd_fsx_xml_sound.ini.
Almost time to put this to bed tonight, and fly your havoc or the XF-92. That's a hoot. I need a break..

No, there is nothing wrong with pointing to the XF-92A. Just thought that if you ever move the XF-92A to the back of the hangar, you might want the other aircraft using its features to still work. :-)

simtech
May 10th, 2018, 13:36
Well, the plot thickens. Having :banghead: for several days in getting the F-106 to init on the XF-92a\sound.ini instead of dsd_fsx_xml_sound.ini without any luck whatsoever, further investigation reveals that :: wait for it ....both files are identical. So there appears to be another reason why I can't get AB_Bang and AB_Loop to play within the aircraft. They work fine outside the sim. I haven't been able to find any good tutorials in adding these kinds of sounds to an aircraft. I tried my hand at modifying the sound.cfg, but I did something the sim didn't like. It wouldn't load. So I reinstated the orig. At least it loads again. Back to the drawing board. Again, thanks for any and all suggestions.

After further exploration, I've decided rather than insert gauges into the panel, I've moved the AB_Bang and AB_Loop wave files into the sound folder and attempted to modify the sound.cfg. Well, at least I hear the AB light and the subsequent roar, however, for some reason unlike the AB_Bang.wav that makes a ONE SHOT Bang, when AB is selected, it repeats inside the ac. I've linked the AB_Loop and it works, I even tried commenting it out, but for some reason the wave of the AB_Bang keeps repeating about every five seconds. Before I wasn't getting the AB light, now I'm getting too much. Gee, I guess I can't be satisfied.

Milton Shupe
May 10th, 2018, 16:07
The sounds need better control in volume depending on what view you are in, and/or whether you should hear them or not. That's why the gauge is there.

I have installed the package in the X-3 and tailored it, or simplified it.

If you want to try it, you will need to remove all the stuff you did and go back to your basic F-106 setup.

It's a simple two-step install.

I have uploaded it for you to try.

Check your PMs for the link.

simtech
May 10th, 2018, 16:12
Thank you, Milton. I'll jump right on it and let you know how it works out..I appreciate your help. I definitely realize you have a lot more pressing issues than my trivial sound issues. Thank you..

:applause: A final update, Mr. Shupe's guidance knocked it out of the park again. His suggestions worked great. When the F-106's AB kicks in, you almost think you really riding it. Thank you, Sir. You're a legend in your own time.

Milton Shupe
May 10th, 2018, 16:35
Thank you, Milton. I'll jump right on it and let you know how it works out..I appreciate your help. I definitely realize you have a lot more pressing issues than my trivial sound issues. Thank you..

EDIT: Glad you got that working with the necessary corrections.

BTW, most of these effects and sounds were not done by me, but by Brian Alexson. He brought the XF-92A to life with the sounds setup and controls.

Also, there are other features in that gauge that uses smoke entrees so be aware they will likely not coincide with whatever smoke system you are using in other aircraft, and may in fact, change what was originally intended by your aircraft author. So, you are using this feature at your own risk.

simtech
May 10th, 2018, 17:13
:jump: Definitely understand that. I did notice that the Dart suddenly had smoke enabled. No biggie. I'm having fun just running that throttle through AB. Best part, the entire sound package transitioned, throttle clack and click. Thank you.. I'm like a kid in a candy store. I wonder if I can get Piglet's F-4 to use this?? hmmmmm.

Just a final update... this package works fine in the F-4. It's like Christmas in May.. thank you Mr. Alexson, and Mr. Shupe..for taking our hobby to unprecedented levels...

blkbart
May 12th, 2018, 10:46
The sounds need better control in volume depending on what view you are in, and/or whether you should hear them or not. That's why the gauge is there.

I have installed the package in the X-3 and tailored it, or simplified it.

If you want to try it, you will need to remove all the stuff you did and go back to your basic F-106 setup.

It's a simple two-step install.

I have uploaded it for you to try.

Check your PMs for the link.

Hi Milton. I have been following this thread with great interest and trying all the techniques but as yet without success. If you have an opportunity, I would appreciate access to the link from the X-3 package and see if I can get where simtech is.

Thanks
Regards, Sam Barrick.

Milton Shupe
May 12th, 2018, 17:30
Hi Sam,

This package is not really meant for general application as it contains things that are not implemented in other aircraft, uses effects placement that are not in sync with other models, and may cause any smoke system entries you currently have to work based on other criteria or not work at all. You are after the sounds but the effects are built in as well and may cause unexpected issues.

With that said, check your PMs.

blkbart
May 14th, 2018, 02:52
Hi Sam,

This package is not really meant for general application as it contains things that are not implemented in other aircraft, uses effects placement that are not in sync with other models, and may cause any smoke system entries you currently have to work based on other criteria or not work at all. You are after the sounds but the effects are built in as well and may cause unexpected issues.

With that said, check your PMs.

The package is just what the doctor ordered. The booms and bangs work perfectly and I am pleased to say the smoke entries also work on my system. Thanks for sharing the package and kudos for all that you do for this community.

Sam Barrick