PDA

View Full Version : P3D Carrier ops expanded a bit

SiR_RiPPER
May 3rd, 2018, 01:32
Well, FSX too... This weekend we'll be in Portugal for Flight Sim 2018 to present our carrier AI and our plans on how to put it to good use in our future products.

The demo will be done in a CEX version of the Enterprise, kindly provided by Team SDB.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60097&stc=1
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60098&stc=1
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60099&stc=1

fsafranek
May 3rd, 2018, 09:13
Glad to be able to provide the ship and it was a great opportunity for an accelerated workup of the Enterprise into the SWS Carrier Extensions system.
A lot was learned that will be applied to the upcoming versions of the Big-E.
Have a great event.
:ernaehrung004:

SiR_RiPPER
May 3rd, 2018, 09:43
Thank you Frank!

For some reason I don't see my pics?

Navy Chief
May 4th, 2018, 06:13
:encouragement::encouragement::encouragement::enco uragement: GO Simworks!!! Outstanding development, and really, REALLY look forward to this! NC

SiR_RiPPER
May 13th, 2018, 07:09
Bumping this up and while preparing our presentation recap, I'm posting a video of our progress in AI Carrier ops on the Big E.

So far we have managed to implement basic functions such as:

Taxiing
Loading weapons
Launch (with assistance from our deck crew)
Formation flying (needs improvement)
Following waypoints
Marshalling over the carrier
Entering the pattern and arresting (no, they don't always catch the 3-wire)
Waveoffs/bolters due to bad approach/foul deck

We are working on expanding our basic "behaviours" with many more features such as inflight refuelling, changing formations, deploying weapons, AI trucks respotting aircraft on the deck etc.

This will allow us to build a framework in which the aircraft & ships will perform their tasks with no need for the user to push buttons to command them (which feels a bit unnatural). More to come in the future.

OK, here's the juice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GXrjji5-v4

Navy Chief
May 13th, 2018, 10:17
This just keeps getting better and better. I am SO impressed! NC:encouragement:

awstub
May 13th, 2018, 11:57
Hallelujah!
This will enable other things that are in the works to move forward.

Bumping this up and while preparing our presentation recap, I'm posting a video of our progress in AI Carrier ops on the Big E.

So far we have managed to implement basic functions such as:

Taxiing
Loading weapons
Launch (with assistance from our deck crew)
Formation flying (needs improvement)
Following waypoints
Marshalling over the carrier
Entering the pattern and arresting (no, they don't always catch the 3-wire)
Waveoffs/bolters due to bad approach/foul deck

We are working on expanding our basic "behaviours" with many more features such as inflight refuelling, changing formations, deploying weapons, AI trucks respotting aircraft on the deck etc.

This will allow us to build a framework in which the aircraft & ships will perform their tasks with no need for the user to push buttons to command them (which feels a bit unnatural). More to come in the future.

OK, here's the juice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GXrjji5-v4

SiR_RiPPER
May 13th, 2018, 15:54
Is that so?

:P

Navy Chief
May 14th, 2018, 04:35
Hallelujah!
This will enable other things that are in the works to move forward.

Please expound further! NC:encouragement:

Victory103
May 14th, 2018, 10:58
Watched vid on FB, outstanding work and the AI movement was very realistic. This adds so much to the ever-changing environment around the boat, now an AI jet can cause me to wave-off on those extra dark night traps!

Stinger
May 14th, 2018, 14:12
Most definitely we’ll be adding this to our Fleet

strykerpsg
May 14th, 2018, 17:45
Absolutely stunning capabilities demo video Sir Ripper. It will be great just playing the part of the LSO and watching all of this unfold and recover.

Question though, how will our aircraft be choreographed into all of this? Will it be like a conventional airfield where one requests taxi, then put into a prompt and the crew then guides you to the specific catapult?

awstub
May 14th, 2018, 17:50
Yes, but I can't say more....or you'd have to kill me :playful:

Is that so?

:P

Manschy
May 14th, 2018, 22:20
Brilliant art of development....or development of art? A must have addon for sure!

SiR_RiPPER
May 14th, 2018, 22:51
Absolutely stunning capabilities demo video Sir Ripper. It will be great just playing the part of the LSO and watching all of this unfold and recover.

Question though, how will our aircraft be choreographed into all of this? Will it be like a conventional airfield where one requests taxi, then put into a prompt and the crew then guides you to the specific catapult?

Good question Matt. It all starts from the carrier and CEX. We have built-in support for carrier communications which are currently unused but will show their teeth with this product. The AI is kept from crashing into one another through a rudimentary set of rules that we'd like to call ATC.

For the player to get in the mix, we will develop a proper ATC & Deck crew system based on real-world procedures. Initially it will offer the bare essentials to comms, but our goal is to gradually expand the available actions and animations with new versions. This system will ensure safe coexistence of the player and AI-controlled vehicles, with each one going about their business. As I wrote above, we are already working on some mission-related behaviours for the aircraft, such as Inflight Refuelling - the AI aircraft shouldn't just do joyrides on and off the ship.

It is a big and ambitious project but will be worth it in the end. We intend to post regular updates on it so keep an eye on our Facebook, Youtube and here (if I'm not spamming :) ).

strykerpsg
May 15th, 2018, 00:46
Good question Matt. It all starts from the carrier and CEX. We have built-in support for carrier communications which are currently unused but will show their teeth with this product. The AI is kept from crashing into one another through a rudimentary set of rules that we'd like to call ATC.

For the player to get in the mix, we will develop a proper ATC & Deck crew system based on real-world procedures. Initially it will offer the bare essentials to comms, but our goal is to gradually expand the available actions and animations with new versions. This system will ensure safe coexistence of the player and AI-controlled vehicles, with each one going about their business. As I wrote above, we are already working on some mission-related behaviours for the aircraft, such as Inflight Refuelling - the AI aircraft shouldn't just do joyrides on and off the ship.

It is a big and ambitious project but will be worth it in the end. We intend to post regular updates on it so keep an eye on our Facebook, Youtube and here (if I'm not spamming :) ).

Thank you so much for the clarification. As before, this too will be an immediate purchase once available. Your work is immersive beyond anything seen thus far. Looking forward to updates and the release.

expat
May 15th, 2018, 01:22
The realism has left me a bit speechless. Not expecting anything quite this good!

Victory103
May 15th, 2018, 10:02
Comm wise not a lot radio traffic as the majority is hand signals and the ever present yellow shirts guiding the jets around. Now Case 3 and have the AI flying a proper marshal stack, jaw dropping either way I’ll let them land while I hold in the stack. If you’re using the Raz A-7 for AI, other models like the Tomcat I assume are in work?

awstub
May 15th, 2018, 11:27
....and what is shown is only the alpha version.

The realism has left me a bit speechless. Not expecting anything quite this good!

SiR_RiPPER
May 15th, 2018, 12:09
....and what is shown is only the alpha version.
Nope, not even there yet. It's a prototype of a piece of the package. Alpha would mean that features are implemented -the planes doing something of use.

Comm wise not a lot radio traffic as the majority is hand signals and the ever present yellow shirts guiding the jets around. Now Case 3 and have the AI flying a proper marshal stack, jaw dropping either way I’ll let them land while I hold in the stack. If you’re using the Raz A-7 for AI, other models like the Tomcat I assume are in work?

For communications on the deck there will be hand signals and the little chatter when needed. Most of the voice comms will be with your wingmen, AWACS, CATCC and so on -per the relevant reference.

The Razbam A-7 is used as AI because we had permission to show it and in lieu of a purpose-built AI Aircraft. Putting four of our Phantoms with four Raz A-7s will strain most systems a lot, so there's only one way forward: we will need (create, I guess) dedicated AI aircraft packages. We are using a new technique in order to maximise performance while keeping the aircraft "highly presentable". That will come after the tech hits alpha and I'm free from my USS Nimitz model.

Navy Chief
May 15th, 2018, 14:13
This is really going to change things. I am looking forward to the added realism!!! NC:encouragement::applause:

sp762
May 15th, 2018, 18:26
This is incredible. Will the scripting be available so we can make other carriers work with the same logic? Some of us prefer to fly off postage stamps... :)

SiR_RiPPER
May 16th, 2018, 03:13
This is incredible. Will the scripting be available so we can make other carriers work with the same logic? Some of us prefer to fly off postage stamps... :)

Yes, and here's how:

Carriers Extended (CEX) will release as a standalone version that will be usable with any carrier (right now it's restricted to our Midway/Coral Sea package). If someone has CEXed up a carrier, any user that has the CEX add-on will have whatever the developer added: animated arrestor cable, changeable statics, custom animations, custom landing physics, pitching & rolling physics based on weather, custom traction (helps with pitching decks) etc. With CEX you also add radio & TACAN frequencies and pretty much creating an AFCAD system for the carrier, as if it is a fully-fledged airport.

Furthermore, by CEXing a carrier, you are automatically making it compatible with the AI package. The SDK exists at our wiki page (http://wiki.simworksstudios.com/index.php?title=Main_Page) and isn't difficult to follow from what we're told. We are also developing a visual editor similar to MCX which will allow you to have CEX on a carrier without all the text editing.

The AI tech will be a separate purchase and will allow aircraft to launch and recover from CEX carriers, ATC and more things. You may use any aircraft that you have available (i.e. MAIW aircraft, FSXBA Hornet etc), which can be made compatible in a couple of minutes if we don't already do it ourselves, or get a dedicated AI air wing from us or someone who may develop one (freeware or payware).

The CEX base and AI package will be payware, but the SDK tools are (and will remain) free so that any object can be adapted to work with it, freeware or payware.

Victory103
May 16th, 2018, 10:32
: we will need (create, I guess) dedicated AI aircraft packages. We are using a new technique in order to maximise performance while keeping the aircraft "highly presentable". That will come after the tech hits alpha and I'm free from my USS Nimitz model.

The guys over at MAIW have been busy finally converting the FS9 models to P3D, currently the F14,F18 are done. AI F-4B, A-7,A-4, and others exist just not converted. A few models have an air file for use on a static carrier scenery and overlapped AFCAD, 1st gen compared to this WIP!

sp762
May 16th, 2018, 13:23
That’s just too cool. Thanks!

Navy Chief
May 16th, 2018, 14:54
The guys over at MAIW have been busy finally converting the FS9 models to P3D, currently the F14,F18 are done. AI F-4B, A-7,A-4, and others exist just not converted. A few models have an air file for use on a static carrier scenery and overlapped AFCAD, 1st gen compared to this WIP!

REALLY looking forward to the conversion of the A-7s! NC

strykerpsg
May 16th, 2018, 17:42

Great news as well! Thanks for that info tidbit. Admittedly, I have long been a fan of their work but also admittedly, I was a bit too lazy to try to figure out how to convert them to FSX. Their products were always payware worthy for AI traffic and would gladly pay to support their efforts at most any cost.

Looking forward to this update too...

lequinne
May 16th, 2018, 19:27
Comm wise not a lot radio traffic as the majority is hand signals and the ever present yellow shirts guiding the jets around. Now Case 3 and have the AI flying a proper marshal stack, jaw dropping either way I’ll let them land while I hold in the stack.

Not a lot of radio in case I, but case III is a different beast. Can confirm that we are going all-out with regards to landing, launching, marshal, and approach procedures, for case I, II, and III. So yes, there will be full marshal stacks, push times, deltas, the works, both for the AI and for you. Plus full CATC/CCA procedures (ms speech recognition and FSX-style menu control), including PALS/ACLS/ICLS approaches for compatible aircraft, and mode III approaches for all. Plus recovery tanking, including realistic "hawking" of low-state aircraft - the next video we put up will include this last bit, among other things. :)

Farley

SiR_RiPPER
May 16th, 2018, 23:46

When we are ready, we will update our SDK with guidelines on how to create AI Aircraft for our intents and purposes. MAIW models are great and I want to get in touch, but we are not ready yet for them.

Great news as well! Thanks for that info tidbit. Admittedly, I have long been a fan of their work but also admittedly, I was a bit too lazy to try to figure out how to convert them to FSX. Their products were always payware worthy for AI traffic and would gladly pay to support their efforts at most any cost.

Looking forward to this update too...

Me too. I have been waiting a long time to see their aircraft in FSX. Thankfully, they took the leap of faith with P3Dv4 and soon we'll all be happy!

Manschy
May 17th, 2018, 02:04
Definitely a must buy - best sim revolution for a long time :applause:

DC1973
May 23rd, 2018, 05:07
MAIW models are great and I want to get in touch, but we are not ready yet for them.

Me too. I have been waiting a long time to see their aircraft in FSX. Thankfully, they took the leap of faith with P3Dv4 and soon we'll all be happy!

Hi,

I'm the developer who took on the conversion of the MAIW F-14 Tomcat for FSX / P3D. Do drop us a line when the time comes. I'd be more than happy to help sort out the AI Tomcats so that they work with CEX carriers! :)

Victory103
May 24th, 2018, 13:36
Definitely a must buy - best sim revolution for a long time :applause:

1000% agree as an AI user to the extreme (longtime MAIW user) and fan of Naval Aviation. Now if only we can convince SiR_RiPPER and company to model an A-4 series (to the level of the F-4) and get the rights to finish the Tacpack A-7 Beta from Razbam! I'm tracking and exciting for SWS future aircraft projects, I'll purchase them all.

Can one tow AI aircraft? Weirdly, I've had more laughs for something "non-flyable" as I try to move the F-4 around, not going to make it as a blue shirt!

SiR_RiPPER
May 24th, 2018, 22:05
get the rights to finish the Tacpack A-7 Beta from Razbam!

I want to, but...

Can one tow AI aircraft?
Yes.