PDA

View Full Version : Does Virtavia still supply support?

Navy Chief
May 1st, 2018, 11:29
I am once again having problems reinstalling my Virtavia Sea King helo back into Prepar3DV4.2. The same issue with missing textures, etc..., due to their anti-piracy installer. I have emailed them twice. No reply yet. Just hoping they haven't stopped customer support.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60067&stc=1

I have tried using their installer (which installs to my FSX installation path); then copying files over to my V4 installation. Does not work. Any help here folks? Grrrr......:banghead::banghead::banghead:

NC

DaveWG
May 1st, 2018, 12:12
Virtavia did P3d installers for the Seaking, but you had to request them via their tech support.

From the website:

The SH-3 Sea King is now available in P3D format ! Now fully optimised for P3D, with a new set of camera views and an updated user manual. The P3D Sea King package has been released to vendors as a normal full-price product, so it will not appear in your account as an update, but we are making them available free of charge to existing owners of the models, just contact us on the usual tech support e-mail. Proof of purchase will be required although regulars will likely be recognised by their name if docs are no longer available.

I contacted them via tech.support(at)virtavia.com but if they're not answering e-mails I think you may be out of luck.

Navy Chief
May 1st, 2018, 12:22
Virtavia did P3d installers for the Seaking, but you had to request them via their tech support.

From the website:

I contacted them via tech.support(at)virtavia.com but if they're not answering e-mails I think you may be out of luck.

Just swell. I did contact them at the above listed email last year, and they were quick. Not so, this time. Crap. Thanks. NC

RobM
May 1st, 2018, 12:58
No problem here with my FSX Virtavia Sea King in 4.2, Chief. I just took a couple of different paints out for some quick flights. I have the
Sea King in an outboard .xml folder. So it might not be security.

I remember Ed (Falcon409) had a problem with a plane once (I forget which one) where it was only half appearing, like your Sea King.
The fix turned out to be to delete the P3Dv4 Shader folder, and let P3Dv4 rebuild it. The plane then appeared in full.

I don't know if that might be any help or not.

- Rob

Navy Chief
May 1st, 2018, 13:00
No problem here with my FSX Virtavia Sea King in 4.2, Chief. I just took a couple of different paints out for some quick flights. I have the
Sea King in an outboard .xml folder. So it might not be security.

I remember Ed (Falcon409) had a problem with a plane once (I forget which one) where it was only half appearing, like your Sea King.
The fix turned out to be to delete the P3Dv4 Shader folder, and let P3Dv4 rebuild it. The plane then appeared in full.

I don't know if that might be any help or not.

- Rob

Rob,

Thanks for your suggestion. Forgive me for my ignorance, but I have no idea what you mean by a outboard .xml folder.

To be clear, I DID have it installed in V4, but uninstalled V4 and did a clean reinstall. But before I DID that, I did a complete back up of ALL folders. I tried simply copying the Sea King files to the new install, but no go. NC

falcon409
May 1st, 2018, 14:50
Rob,

Thanks for your suggestion. Forgive me for my ignorance, but I have no idea what you mean by a outboard .xml folder.

To be clear, I DID have it installed in V4, but uninstalled V4 and did a clean reinstall. But before I DID that, I did a complete back up of ALL folders. I tried simply copying the Sea King files to the new install, but no go. NC
Pete, I think the "outboard.xml file he's talking about is the new way LM suggests you handle scenery installations and aircraft. . .by placing it outside the main Sim folder and writing an xml file that gives the path. I don't use it, never have. . .the old way is still the best as far as I'm concerned.

His suggestion to delete the shaders is correct for how I eventually fixed my "half" an airplane. Give it a try, as it seems nothing else is working for you right now.

Navy Chief
May 1st, 2018, 15:43
Well thanks for your replies and suggestions. I have no clue how to mess with .xml files, so that's out of the question. I did delete the Shader directory, which P3D did rebuild, but had zero effect on the Sea King textures. I guess unless and until I get a reply from Virtavia, I am screwed. :banghead: NC

Navy Chief
May 1st, 2018, 15:55
It would be nice if Virtavia would simply remove their support email on their website if support is no longer available.....NC

RobM
May 1st, 2018, 16:39
I installed the Sea King in P3Dv4 sometime ago, and I had forgotten how the installer worked. So I just re-ran it.

I think you may be right, it is a security issue, but after re-running the installer, I think it's easily fixed. I think
all you need to do is to re-run the Sea King installer and uninstall/re-install into P3Dv4 again (click "remove" if
you get the three options to modify, repair, or remove).

I hope that helps.

- Rob

Navy Chief
May 1st, 2018, 19:06
Well, I finally gave up and bought the P3D version from PCPilotshop. I had originally been provided a download installer from Virtavia, which worked for P3D. But apparently it doesn't anymore. Sometimes ya just gotta bite the bullet.

Just gotta have the Sea King! A must have for this old CPO. Thanks for all your suggestions folks. At least I got it back in P3DV4. NC:encouragement:

jmig
May 2nd, 2018, 06:11
Because of the lack of communication on support requests from vendors and developers, I have quit buying add-ons. The final straw was some scenery that I purchased from PC Aviator. Two of the files had broken links and would give you a 404 error code. I never could get PC Aviator to respond. I finally was able to get the developer's attention by posting on their Facebook page. Some there helped me get the files.

Sadly, I used to buy a lot of add-ons that I really never used and knew I wouldn't use. I bought them to help and encourage the developers. I know I can be an "*******" customer at times. I come from a generation where your word was, to a great extent how you were judged character wise. If you didn't keep your word, you were written off by others. If you don't provide what you say you will, I will hold your feet to the fire. Some developers don't want that. They tell me all the reasons they can't and how hard life is for them as developers. I can understand that and sympathize. However, a developer's problems should't become my problems. Do what you say you will do.

I am tired of excuses and lack of communication. I have airplanes I have never flown, or flown only once. I have airports I have never flown into. I am learning to model and build my own airports (another lack of follow through). I have plenty to do to keep me occupied and busy. I don't need developers or vendors who can't be bothered with a legitimate question, or some jump through your ass, turn around three times and say the magic words, anti-theft system.

Just an old curmudgeon's opinion.

Navy Chief
May 2nd, 2018, 06:19
Because of the lack of communication on support requests from vendors and developers, I have quit buying add-ons. The final straw was some scenery that I purchased from PC Aviator. Two of the files had broken links and would give you a 404 error code. I never could get PC Aviator to respond. I finally was able to get the developer's attention by posting on their Facebook page. Some there helped me get the files.

Sadly, I used to buy a lot of add-ons that I really never used and knew I wouldn't use. I bought them to help and encourage the developers. I know I can be an "*******" customer at times. I come from a generation where your word was, to a great extent how you were judged character wise. If you didn't keep your word, you were written off by others. If you don't provide what you say you will, I will hold your feet to the fire. Some developers don't want that. They tell me all the reasons they can't and how hard life is for them as developers. I can understand that and sympathize. However, a developer's problems should't become my problems. Do what you say you will do.

I am tired of excuses and lack of communication. I have airplanes I have never flown, or flown only once. I have airports I have never flown into. I am learning to model and build my own airports (another lack of follow through). I have plenty to do to keep me occupied and busy. I don't need developers or vendors who can't be bothered with a legitimate question, or some jump through your ass, turn around three times and say the magic words, anti-theft system.

Just an old curmudgeon's opinion.

I would've posted on Virtavia's FB page, but it appears they don't have one. Oh well, water under the "Rotors", as it were. NC

fsafranek
May 2nd, 2018, 12:05
I would've posted on Virtavia's FB page, but it appears they don't have one. Oh well, water under the "Rotors", as it were. NC
No, Virtavia has never bothered with a facebook page. From our messenger conversation last night it sounded like you had it sorted. No?

I sent an email to Phil as I said I would and mentioned that you had already repurchased from elsewhere to solve the problem so I don't expect a reply.
:ernaehrung004:

Navy Chief
May 2nd, 2018, 13:31
No, Virtavia has never bothered with a facebook page. From our messenger conversation last night it sounded like you had it sorted. No?

I sent an email to Phil as I said I would and mentioned that you had already repurchased from elsewhere to solve the problem so I don't expect a reply.
:ernaehrung004:

Yes, thank you for your reply! I ended up repurchasing. So no problem. All fixed. Didn't want to have to buy again, but just wanted that Sea King back! Thanks. NC