PDA

View Full Version : SKUNKNET a new SSW project

SSW1
May 1st, 2018, 02:46
Sim Skunk Works is proud to announce the development of a new project for a multiplayer software based on client-server and peer-to-peer architecture,
The new project called SkunkNet wants to be the heir to the best known IBNet used on FS9.
Currently it is in an experimental phase, tests conducted showed excellent fluidity and a position error contained in the tenth of a foot.
vACMI, SSW CombatZone, vACMI Web and SkunkNet should provide simmers with a world-wide, realistic and freely available multiplayers combat environment.
Here are some technical features of SkunkNet:
- multi-channel, more than one player can connect from the same public IP
- multiplatform, can connect between them both 32 bit sim (FSX / P3D 3) and 64 bit sim (P3d 4)
- based on client-server architecture, UDP protocol, the clients will also be connected to each other through peer-to-peer connections.
- SkunkNet client is an external process that does not affect the sim performances
- the server can be installed on any PC connected to the network
- technology based on Kalman filter will be used to minimize the drawbacks of unstable or slow connections.
- most probably SkunkNet client will be freely distributed, SkunkNet server will operate on H24 basis freely available for users.
- a support forum will be available upon request when a beta version will be distributed.

We will keep you updated on developments.
SSW

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60054&stc=1

Navy Chief
May 1st, 2018, 10:58
Interesting news! Thanks SSW! NC

awstub
May 2nd, 2018, 07:55
Great news.

I have two questions...

Will it be compatible with Tacpack?

Will it be compatible with FSX@War

SSW1
May 2nd, 2018, 11:30
Great news.
I have two questions...
Will it be compatible with Tacpack?
Will it be compatible with FSX@War
SkunkNet does not interfere with TackPack, however, as already asserted by VRS it has problems with all "external" multiplayer software, like JoinFS, it is reasonable to think that it is the same for SkunkNet that has a similar architecture.
There should be no problem with FSX@War as it injects objects locally.
However SkunkNet will be fully compatible with vACMI and the SSW aircraft in the sense that:
- "congruence" will be assured, that is to say that the external stores loaded by the player are propagated and visible to all the other players in the net, something not guaranteed by any other multiplayer software so far.
- all weapons and objects of vACMI, SAM sites, AAA sites, targets. naval convoys etc .. will be supported in full by SkunkNet
hope this helps
/SSW

scotth6
May 3rd, 2018, 03:52
It sounds very interesting and ambitious. I really don't use multiplayer, but for those that do this sounds pretty impressive.

Cheers,

Dimus
May 3rd, 2018, 04:33
As I do no fly military missions with weapons use in P3D/FSX, if your software, as promised, allows cross platform connectivity and at the same time have no lag issues allowing jitter free formation flying, it will be a winner in my book.

Mach3DS
May 3rd, 2018, 05:03
my experience is that cross platform connectivity usually results in the aircraft flying as if it's "on rails" and loses some of it's flying characteristics. The other aircraft also loses data through interpolation. Causing jitters or random slewed movement. Makes formation flight almost impossible at close range. If you've solved this, that is an accomplishment.

SSW1
May 6th, 2018, 23:53
my experience is that cross platform connectivity usually results in the aircraft flying as if it's "on rails" and loses some of it's flying characteristics. The other aircraft also loses data through interpolation. Causing jitters or random slewed movement. Makes formation flight almost impossible at close range. If you've solved this, that is an accomplishment.

Hi,
this should not be the case, SimConnect extracts the informations needed to guide the aircraft in the third person, this should ensure the correctness of the data.
Having adopted the UDP protocol and P2P connections ensures us the best performance, driving the third person aircraft not with the position but manipulating the speeds/rotation on the 3 axes ensures maximum fluidity.
It seems we have also solved the problem of interpolation and network latency, our tests show an accuracy of the position contained within 2-3 feet at high speed (> 600 kias) and excellent fluidity, Kalman filter enters on play on unstable/very slow connections.
The fluidity in the formation flight shows to be equal or perhaps better than that ensured by the P3D multiplayer.
The bandwidth is contained within 1.5 kilobyte per player at the maximum transmission frequency (30 PFS), scaled down depending on the distance between players.
We are very confident of the success, even the achieved congruity is very important.
At the moment tests conducted are limited to 4 players, soon we will start a beta test with 8-10 players on the net.
cheers
/SSW

SSW1
May 13th, 2018, 08:49
May be i have made a typo error,
position correctness is within 2/3 of foot.
/SSW

tgycgijoes
December 20th, 2018, 12:49
Lag was always a problem for me in the 91st BG and had to drop out because of problems flying formations. This definitely sounds fantastic and really promising. Waiting for more updates.

Daube
December 20th, 2018, 13:43
Sounds great, thanks for the news.
Currently I'm using only JoinFS and FFS2Play, but both have their limitations. It will be very interesting to compare them with your new software.

Two questions though:

1- Does it require the FPS to be limited ? We fly in VR so limited FPS are not an option. I know that FFS2Play doesn't like unlimited FPS at all, and JoinFS also creates some jitters in close formation. What about Skunknet ?

2- Does it allow to propagate spawned objects to other players ? For example, an aircraft carrier using AICarriers ? Will other pilots see that carrier ?