PDA

View Full Version : My return to photoscenery

grunau_baby
February 16th, 2009, 00:37
After I turned my back on large area photoscenery, due to blurries and autogen-flaws with some of them I got a little fed up with the usual default (or enhanced, being an even bigger framehog) lanclass-placed-objects look of FSX.

I took some time and explored the LOD radius settings for my system and voilá, looks great! Except for very dense areas with too many buildings I get no significant performance hit with a LOD radius of 8.5. Really enjoying the as real as it gets look now!!! With FSX you get to learn one tiny setting can improve so much!:wiggle:

Regards
Alex

Naki
February 16th, 2009, 01:38
Nice -- Godzone Wanaka NZ scenery by the looks?

Ill try out your suggestion of the LOD radius - actually how do you set the LOD radius slider to 8.5 - all I get is small , medium or large? (I have only just got FSX)

harleyman
February 16th, 2009, 02:37
You will find it in the FSX config file.....

Its default valus is 4.5

Try 7.5 and 8.5 as grunau_baby is using to test..

Thats not bad looking photo scenery you got there....

grunau_baby
February 16th, 2009, 02:44
You can only do it in the fsx.cfg, the maxed slider is only a 4.5 setting! Just open your cfg file and look for:
[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=4.500000
in the terrain section, simply edit the value. But remember whenever you change anything in the fsx settings all values return to default, in this case 4.5, so you have to reenter it manually!!!

As my setting varies on the places I fly I got used to editing it often. When I use extensive scenery that makes my rig work fair, but at the limit, I avoid a too high LOD radius.

Yep, it´s Godzone´s Wanaka NZ. Even though the photomesh isn´t highest resolution possible, the look with enhanced LOD radius is crisp and clear and no bad blurries in the distance or even near.

Alex

jimjones
February 16th, 2009, 03:08
Nice pics. Have not tried the LOD thingy. Not sure I want to fool with it if it sets the cfg back to default.

I'm a great Photoscenery fan. Modified the Trike ultralite to have views without seeing the plane or panel. That helps and is an excellent way to view scenery in any direction at high fps and resolution.

In the recent Glacier National Park release, I'm getting as high as 400 fps. Still takes a few seconds to see full resolution sometimes at about 50 knts.

The fps is so dependant on many things, such as the angle of the view (up-down) and the zoom.

How did I get 400 fps. Looking straight down at highest zoom. Zoom to lowest and fps goes to 200. Look toward the horizon and the fps goes to 150.

grunau_baby
February 16th, 2009, 03:14
Not sure I want to fool with it if it sets the cfg back to default
Oooops, nope, vice versa. FSX puts the value back to default 4.5 whenever you move any slider in the ingame settings!!!! No danger of messing your settings with the entry!!!;)

You just have to reset the higher LOD radius in the cfg if you want to use it!

Alex

harleyman
February 16th, 2009, 04:31
Oooops, nope, vice versa. FSX puts the value back to default 4.5 whenever you move any slider in the ingame settings!!!! No danger of messing your settings with the entry!!!;)

You just have to reset the higher LOD radius in the cfg if you want to use it!

Alex

YUP...Thats what I was thinking...i was like HUH ? Oh no...Its defaulting back,I don't remember seeing that..What did I miss...HeHe LOl

I just left mine at 4.5 and its fine for my system......

Also remember this important thing..

ALWAYS rewrite your in game Config File..Never delete it and move a new one in......If need be delete the old and load a flight ...That will give you a virgin one to rewrire to...

I always make a shortcut of it to my desktop for rewriting and testing purposes.......Then when I make an entry change,I just select from file *SAVE* and the FSX ingame gets the rewrites.........

When its all done I save a copy of that it and highlight my changes and delete the shortcut 1........ Last is I reneme it to FSX Config and Driver version and date......Put it away for reference...

Remember...In FSX with a vid driver change,your config may become useless again...And need redone....But you now have a copy of what it is and highlight what was changed,so you know where to change entries very easy....

Cazzie
February 16th, 2009, 05:00
That second Spittie shot is amazing, looks real.

I'll try that, I always have a copy of my FS9 and FSX.cfg on my desktop for esy access, never fear fooling with them. If it slows my rates, I'll drop back to 4.5. no problem. I have more photoreal scenery for FS9 than FSX at present, but I got a flight to the Grand Canyon planned with the new settings, see ya later.

Caz

Brian_Gladden
February 16th, 2009, 07:18
Where is the FSX cfg hiding? It's not where FS9 hid it's cfg files.

Brian

stiz
February 16th, 2009, 08:24
C:\Documents and Settings\**your username**\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

:wave:

kjb
February 16th, 2009, 18:20
Thanks for the post. I had forgotten that tweak.

grunau_baby
February 17th, 2009, 02:34
I tested it on Mega SceneryX Hawai and the texture-brillance made my eyes pop out. Not only it reduces the distance blurries, but also the quality of the textures close to the aircraft (blow) are much much better!!!

My next test will be VFR Germany, because of the custom autogen and large area this generally brings my system to it´s limits, especially with traffic and all turned on. If the tweak really has any effect on my performance I will know after this test. Will keep you informed. Will only need to find the time to reinstall the whole bit!

Regards
Alex

jimjones
February 17th, 2009, 08:36
Alex, I must thank you for this tweak. Just used an LOD of 8.5 and love how the distant mountains show in higher resolution. Really helps with the Glacier National Park scenery, as well as other photoreal sceneries.

tigisfat
February 17th, 2009, 16:19
Where can this scenery be found?

d0mokun
February 17th, 2009, 16:28
www.windowlight.co.nz

jimjones
February 18th, 2009, 00:16
Where can this scenery be found?

Glacier can be found at:

www.blueskyscenery.com (http://www.blueskyscenery.com)