PDA

View Full Version : P3D 4v which version?

Steven190
April 23rd, 2018, 08:01
New to the P3D version of FSX. I have a general question as to what version I should get. I just fly FSX and do not do any modeling, but some personnel skins.

What would be the best version for me to use? Thanks

zswobbie1
April 23rd, 2018, 08:59
Academically speaking.... the one that suits you best!

blanston12
April 23rd, 2018, 09:10
I would always get the latest, once you buy the major version (4) all the minor updates (4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3...) are included, I am not even certain you can get the older minor versions. The current version is 4.2. If you have some 32bit add ons that you can't live with out and don't work in 4.2 you can get 3.4 but that will be a separate purchase.

I am currently using 4.2 academic.

Steven190
April 23rd, 2018, 09:51
Do most get the academic version or up to the professional? I think that there is one in between too. And how from? Martin?

blanston12
April 23rd, 2018, 10:42
As far as I know the only difference between academic, professional and developer is that professional does not have a watermark in the upper right corner that says academic/developer. The program itself is the same.

Some add on developers charge different prices if you want to install on academic or professional and some (tacpac) only sells an academic version.

You can get it here:

https://www.prepar3d.com/

Daube
April 23rd, 2018, 15:21
Just get the Academic version if you are not planning on generating money from your sim (by professional activities).

Mach3DS
April 23rd, 2018, 15:37
P3D is NOT a "version" of FSX.

Academic and professional are essentially the same thing. Academic gives you a small water mark to RH corner. You can't use it for generating profit.

I use Academic v4.2

Steven190
April 24th, 2018, 03:02
P3D is NOT a "version" of FSX.

Academic and professional are essentially the same thing. Academic gives you a small water mark to RH corner. You can't use it for generating profit.

I use Academic v4.2

I quest what I meant was the P3D version used with FSX.

Thanks for the input all, I will try the academic version.

Mach3DS
April 24th, 2018, 07:12
I need to clarify...none of us here are in a position to tell you what option you should take or can define what any of the options actually mean. I don't wan to break any of the rules here. So just to clarify. You'll have to make the decision based on the nice chart that LM provides that makes it super easy to see what features belong to what option.