PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Home or Pro

jmig
April 15th, 2018, 16:16
I am ordering components for a new i8700 based PD3 computer. In the past I have always gone with the Pro version of Windows, although I can not for the life of me remember why. So, my question is do I need to order the Pro version or will the Home version work for a PD3 build? I do, on occasion, fly online. However, other than a Home network, I will not be doing anything else with it, other than flight simulation.

Thanks,

UnknownGuest12
April 15th, 2018, 16:23
W10 Home here and perfect for my needs, including all the simulators and some other latest FPS games...
Regards

lownslo
April 15th, 2018, 18:18
One huge advantage of Win10 Pro is that you'll be able to turn-off Automatic Updates. At least until you've decided that you're comfortable allowing a specific update.

Greg

jmig
April 16th, 2018, 04:12
Thanks for the info guys. I will go with the Home version.

I am familiar with Pro's ability to hold off on updates. I use the Pro on this computer (one I am typing on) and I have Pro on my current Flight Sim computer. It only allows you to hold off for 30 days. Pffff. I can do the same thing by unplugging the internet cable.

rcbarend
April 16th, 2018, 08:46
Thanks for the info guys. I will go with the Home version.

I am familiar with Pro's ability to hold off on updates. I use the Pro on this computer (one I am typing on) and I have Pro on my current Flight Sim computer. It only allows you to hold off for 30 days. Pffff. I can do the same thing by unplugging the internet cable.
You can also prevent automatic W10 updates by setting your Internet connection to "Metered".

If it's wise to prevent W10 updates is another story.
But at least it's under your own control then, so you don't run into troubles before making backups.

Rob

alehead
April 16th, 2018, 14:35
Windows 10 Pro allows the use of the group policy editor, gpedit.msc. As a systems manager, this is one of the most important tools, enabling me to turn off a lot of the bloatware. Windows 10 Home does not have this...

A

Andrew Entwistle
Germany

Daube
April 16th, 2018, 17:21
You can also prevent automatic W10 updates by setting your Internet connection to "Metered".

If it's wise to prevent W10 updates is another story.
But at least it's under your own control then, so you don't run into troubles before making backups.

Rob

The "metered" option is only available for Wifi connections.
If you are connected via RJ-45 cable, the metered option is not available.

Appart from that, one of the reasons to choose for example Windows 7 pro instead of Windows 7 home, is the total amount of RAM that the OS is able to handle.
On Windows 7 64 home edition, it wouldn't "see" more than 12 Gb or RAM. The Pro edition would handle up to 128 or 256 Gb, I don't remember exactly.

On Windows 10 64 however, the amounts of "allowed" RAM are significantly higher, so this is not a problem anymore for the home edition.

jmig
April 17th, 2018, 04:46
I went with the Home Version. We will see. It is going to run an i8700 and a ASUS Maximums X Hero motherboard. The current flight sim computer will become my everyday use one. I have been doing this for over twenty years. Every four or five years, I build a new flight sim computer. The old one gets passed down to my everyday computer and my everyday computer gets pased down to either a second flight sim ancillary computer or my wife.

She insisted I build her her own a couple years ago and I don't need a second computer to run the cockpit any longer. So, if anyone is near Lafayette, LA and wants an 17 2700K computer, let me know.