PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Comptatabiity Telemetry

gman5250
April 14th, 2018, 08:07
As many of you know, I have had serious issues with Windows 10 ever since I installed the OS. I have lost programs, and more importantly I have lost hundreds of hours of work either resulting from or during Windows updates or telemetry transmissions. I didn't know that much about the latter until I did some serious digging.

Most common were the dozens of crashes during my work day that occurred when my HD would begin banging and grinding, typically while I had work open in both 3DS Max and PhotoshopCS6. Many, many times I have lost work when Max would seize during these events and the work would be either corrupted or lost. Same for Photoshop.

After consulting my task manager during one event last week, I found the telemetry app consuming 99% of my CPU resources. I did some research and removed the telemetry function completely from my system. As a result, I have had no crashes for the last four days.

Here's the reality. Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, has made it a priority to run volumes of invasive checks and functions that track your data...in order to share it with various clients who are interested in your data. There are numerous triggers built into the OS that will initiate these invasive and costly functions which often lead to loss of data. One link describes a partial list of these data mining invasions which include:
http://www.investmentwatchblog.com/a-traffic-analysis-of-windows-10-2/

Typed text on keyboard sent every 30 minutes

Anything you say into a microphone is transmitted

Transcripts of things you say while using Cortana

Index of all media files on your computer

When your webcam is first enabled, 35mb of data

Telemetry data

It's no wonder my system goes into seizure a gozillion times a day. Only speaking for myself here, but F.....Microsoft and their clients. I have work to do.

IF...you are running in to problems with Win10, as outlined in numerous posts on this site I highly recommend looking into disabling these ridiculous apps before taking a baseball bat to your box.

Roger
April 14th, 2018, 08:10
Hi Gordon, this program is worth looking at "SpybotAntiBeacon-1.6" It turns off a whole lot of MS spyware.

zswobbie1
April 14th, 2018, 08:16
That link you gave is dead.
Maybe your install is faulty, I have never had any issues either on this laptop I'm using, nor my older laptop that I upgraded fron Windows 7 to 8.1 then to Windows 10.

fliger747
April 14th, 2018, 08:26
Easy solution? Unplug from the internet... I do a lot of work using my last remaining hard copy of photoshop, which is inconveniently not supporting newer camera RAW modes, but there are workarounds. I use it with Win 7 more than I use the Win 10 and Mac's with CC.

I think even my thermostat has the capability to spy on me via my eye pad...

gman5250
April 14th, 2018, 10:07
That link you gave is dead.
Maybe your install is faulty, I have never had any issues either on this laptop I'm using, nor my older laptop that I upgraded fron Windows 7 to 8.1 then to Windows 10.

Try that link again.

There have been multiple installs, all with the telemetry having the same effect. I'll be going to a new version of Windows in the next couple of weeks. First thing I'll do is remove telemetry. :encouragement:

gman5250
April 14th, 2018, 10:10
Easy solution? Unplug from the internet... I do a lot of work using my last remaining hard copy of photoshop, which is inconveniently not supporting newer camera RAW modes, but there are workarounds. I use it with Win 7 more than I use the Win 10 and Mac's with CC.

I think even my thermostat has the capability to spy on me via my eye pad...

Ultimately I'll have a dedicated work box...no internet. At present, I only have one working box and isolating from the internet is not feasible. Removing telemetry made a big difference, so I'll work with that until I can build an isolated work box.

PhantomTweak
April 14th, 2018, 10:14
IF...you are running in to problems with Win10, as outlined in numerous posts on this site I highly recommend looking into disabling these ridiculous apps before taking a baseball bat to your box.
Of course, the "bigger hammer" scenario WILL work. Makes using the computer a trifle more difficult, but it WOULD keep Windoze from spying on you. Same for your thermostat, Fliger. I would keep an eye on your toaster, too. Untrustworthy things!

Like the saying goes: "That's like swatting a gnat with a sledge hammer!" "Yes, but a sledge hammer WILL kill a gnat..."
:biggrin-new: :pop4: :173go1::beaten:

Have fun, all!
Pat☺

gman5250
April 14th, 2018, 10:56
Of course, the "bigger hammer" scenario WILL work. Makes using the computer a trifle more difficult, but it WOULD keep Windoze from spying on you. Same for your thermostat, Fliger. I would keep an eye on your toaster, too. Untrustworthy things!

Like the saying goes: "That's like swatting a gnat with a sledge hammer!" "Yes, but a sledge hammer WILL kill a gnat..."
:biggrin-new: :pop4: :173go1::beaten:

Have fun, all!
Pat☺

Those video compilations of people going ballistic at the office illustrate the bigger hammer solution in a humorous, but strangely satisfying manner. :biggrin-new:

IanP
April 14th, 2018, 12:49
As of a couple of patches ago (probably four months, maybe longer?) most of the telemetry could be turned off - Microsoft fell foul of the law in the US, let alone in the EU, regarding privacy.

They even put up instructions showing you how to do it.

The biggest problem with Windows 10 is still the automatic updating which, it must be stressed, ONLY happens on the free or paid "Home" versions of Windows 10. On Professional, it can be turned off completely as businesses told Microsoft even before Win 10 was released that they want control over what updates get rolled out and when, after testing of the effects. My wife has set up and runs a number of Win10 networks in the area and they all use Professional. The biggest problems they have are with hardware failing, not the OS. That and the fact that people are still obsessed with having and networking iPads!

Ian P.

hairyspin
April 14th, 2018, 12:55
To turn off the telemetry, this link tells how:– https://www.maketecheasier.com/telemetry-settings-windows-10/

mikewmac
April 14th, 2018, 13:22
Looks to me like Microsoft has been testing Zuckerberg's Facebook business model with Windows 10 by mining as much of the Windows 10 users' personal data as possible and then selling it to other interested parties.

It's sure worked well for Zuckerberg so far. :pirate: :pirate: :pirate:

Penzoil3
April 14th, 2018, 19:58
Downloaded and installed SpybotAntiBeacon-1.6 !
Windows 7 Ultimate is telemetry ridden too !
Bleeping Microsoft.
Sue

Brian_Gladden
April 15th, 2018, 04:21
Bleeping Microsoft.
Sue

I just tried it as well. I've been having problems lately on boot up of heavy hard drive usage on my Win 7 64 bit system. Hopefully it fixes it.

Penzoil3
April 15th, 2018, 10:03
Worked for me. I was getting 50-60% usage sometimes with nothing running. Playing some games my cpu would get hot. This fixed it.
Sue

mikewmac
April 15th, 2018, 10:31
Bleeping Microsoft.
Sue

Thanks Sue. It worked great on Windows 7 Pro. :encouragement:

Roger
April 15th, 2018, 11:34
Hi Gordon, this program is worth looking at "SpybotAntiBeacon-1.6" It turns off a whole lot of MS spyware.

I have it on all my win7 machines and seems to work as advertised. It also works with win10 but it seems that only win7 users have replied to my post.

Bjoern
April 15th, 2018, 14:05
I've locked down Win 10 as much as possible, including telemetry, and never ran into any problems whatosever.

gman5250
April 15th, 2018, 17:10
I have it on all my win7 machines and seems to work as advertised. It also works with win10 but it seems that only win7 users have replied to my post.

Thanks for the link Roger. I downloaded and installed it this afternoon. I'll keep an eye on those processes and see how it affects the system.
:very_drunk: