PDA

View Full Version : Tangier Island

falcon409
April 14th, 2018, 06:38
Being uploaded as this is being posted.

Dimus
April 14th, 2018, 10:57
And I am downloading as I type! That is in Virginia right? And in danger of erosion and flooding?

Looks really nice Ed.:applause:

dexthom
April 14th, 2018, 11:01
Good Crab Cakes there!

falcon409
April 14th, 2018, 11:05
And I am downloading as I type! That is in Virginia right? And in danger of erosion and flooding?
Looks really nice Ed.:applause:
Yes, that would be the one Dimus.

roger-wilco-66
April 14th, 2018, 12:36
Great work, that looks fantastic. On my way to get it!

Cheers,
Mark

warchild
April 14th, 2018, 14:29
that looks jaw droppingly beautiful.. Thanks Falcon :)

Roger
April 14th, 2018, 16:13
Nice one Ed:ernaehrung004:

oldmsgt
April 14th, 2018, 17:06
Many thanks for this Ed. Very well done!

The Old MSgt

ToniJH
April 14th, 2018, 20:20
Thank you for this scenery. Looks a very good place to make small flight trip today

stansdds
April 15th, 2018, 03:31
Good Crab Cakes there!
Really good crab cakes can be had on Tangier Island!

I'll try to check out this scenery this afternoon.

aardvark62
April 15th, 2018, 05:37
Fantastic scenery - thanks Ed! But I do seem to have a couple of problems.

My runway is floating 4ft from the ground! :

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59586&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59587&stc=1

I have no other entries for KTGI, and I've tried disabling mesh addons to no avail.

Also seem to have a building (x3) missing a texture? - which is really odd if this is a default scenery object?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59588&stc=1

Any suggestions? - would love to fly this scenery as it's meant to be! And is this just me?

A.

ToniJH
April 15th, 2018, 06:09
Check if there is duplicated KTGI files in your flightsim folder, like ORBX KTGI etc. I disabled FTX KTGI scenery and all works fine :)

aardvark62
April 15th, 2018, 06:30
Thanks, but already looked for other KTGI entries.. although a more thorough search did bring up ONE Orbx file: ABP_KTGI.bgl - but again, disabling this made no difference.

aspen31
April 15th, 2018, 07:09
Hi Ed
So I deleted the Orbx KTGI files but I still have a fellow at the gas pumps talking on his cell. Is this guy not part of your scenery? I also can see a lady standing beside him - looking quite bossy and another fellow roaming around the buildings. perhaps I have missed a file.
Thanks
Warren

falcon409
April 15th, 2018, 08:08
Hi Ed
So I deleted the Orbx KTGI files but I still have a fellow at the gas pumps talking on his cell. Is this guy not part of your scenery? I also can see a lady standing beside him - looking quite bossy and another fellow roaming around the buildings. perhaps I have missed a file.
Thanks
Warren
Those are definitely not from my scenery. In the Orbx scenery there are 3 files that must be removed. . .2 are related to the AFCAD/CVX portion of the scenery and the third is an "object" file.

falcon409
April 15th, 2018, 08:48
Fantastic scenery - thanks Ed! But I do seem to have a couple of problems.

My runway is floating 4ft from the ground! :

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59586&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59587&stc=1

I have no other entries for KTGI, and I've tried disabling mesh addons to no avail.

Also seem to have a building (x3) missing a texture? - which is really odd if this is a default scenery object?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59588&stc=1

Any suggestions? - would love to fly this scenery as it's meant to be! And is this just me?

A.
I agree, the black indicates a missing texture, but why. . .I'm not sure, especially if no one else is having that particular problem. I have a friend on Teamspeak right now who is looking over his copy and all is well with his.

As for the elevation problem. That's a horse of a different color. . .individual slider settings, resolution, etc all play into that especially since I have a flatten as part of the ADE file that should drop everything to ground level. The fact that your's does not seems to point to something in your sim conflicting. As long as the package was installed with no changes I feel it should display correctly. I'm at a loss as to how to fix that though.

falcon409
April 15th, 2018, 09:14
I agree, the black indicates a missing texture, but why. . .I'm not sure, especially if no one else is having that particular problem. I have a friend on Teamspeak right now who is looking over his copy and all is well with his.

As for the elevation problem. That's a horse of a different color. . .individual slider settings, resolution, etc all play into that especially since I have a flatten as part of the ADE file that should drop everything to ground level. The fact that your's does not seems to point to something in your sim conflicting. As long as the package was installed with no changes I feel it should display correctly. I'm at a loss as to how to fix that though.

Ok, how I missed that in P3D_V4.2 I have no idea. I assume that's what you're using, as I see it as well. Let me see what I can adjust to bring it down to earth. I'll let you know after I get back from lunch.

aardvark62
April 15th, 2018, 09:47
Hi Ed, sorry - forget to mention I'm on P3Dv2.5. Don't know if that's going to make a difference...?

Cheers, A.

stansdds
April 15th, 2018, 09:59

I'm using FSX Acceleration, I'm missing that texture as well. I think Ultimate Terrain X is messing with the elevation of the creek area in my install. I also see a number of textures suffering from Z-fighting.

On my install, the creek area and school are several feet below sea level. In the screen shots from Aardvark62, they appear to be pretty close to the level of the rest of the island, as they should be.

I will say that my wife and I were on Tangier about three years ago. You have definitely captured the look of Tangier Island.

Postbaer61
April 15th, 2018, 10:16
Same elevation problem for me with P3D v4.2
ORBX files deactivating makes no difference.
I have no other mesh file installed for that area.
The whole scenery looks very nice, only
the runway hovers.
Tried different mesh settings with no succes.
Seems to be a different mesh for P3D4 as for FSX.

Cheers
Ulrich

stansdds
April 15th, 2018, 10:19
Yep, I tried deactivating UTX and there is still a 15-18 foot below sea level valley between West Ridge and Main Ridge. I also deactivated the scenery with UTX turned off, same problem. I also tried adjusting the mesh complexity slider, problem persists. Looks like Tangier Island needs a mesh fix too. Bummer.

falcon409
April 15th, 2018, 10:54
Currently, I would have to say that Tangier is P3D_V.2 is a mess. . .elevation-wise. By all rights the elevation should control how the ramp and the runway sit relative to the ground beneath. . .in other words everything should sit flat on the ground. However in P3D the ramp and ground meet, but the rwy and the ground are 5' apart and no amount of changes in mesh settings or resolution settings make a bit of difference. If I adjust the flatten to the 5' mark everything sits on a 5' plateau which looks terrible.

I am continuing to look for an answer but it has eluded me thus far and I can only assume that Orbx is the culprit. I do know that I have had elevation problems in the past and asked for help on the Orbx forums where they told me there was nothing special about their mesh, I find that not to be totally true as normal ways of correcting those issues fail miserably.

falcon409
April 15th, 2018, 10:58
Yep, I tried deactivating UTX and there is still a 15-18 foot below sea level valley between West Ridge and Main Ridge. I also deactivated the scenery with UTX turned off, same problem. I also tried adjusting the mesh complexity slider, problem persists. Looks like Tangier Island needs a mesh fix too. Bummer.
Yes, (see my last post). I did some mesh for Tangier years ago and it changed very little from what default gave me. We're talking about maybe 2-3ft adjustment to get this to work and the numbers collected when producing a mesh are so minuscule as to render any mesh a wash. If there were peaks and valleys and major changes in elevation the results might render a better product, but we're talking about an Island that for all intent and purposes is "flat" and almost at sea level as it is.

aardvark62
April 15th, 2018, 13:03
Ed - I don't have any Orbx scenery specific to that area. I do have their global products, but I don't believe they contain any mesh files.

I do have FreeMeshX but disabling that makes no difference.

Many sceneries do come with an additional elevation .bgl that somehow re-enforces any elevation over-ride issue and sits in the Scenery/World/scenery folder.
(although I have no idea how they actually work!)

Might that be something worth looking at?

A.

ps. and then there's still the mystery of the missing texture...could that be a texture file not present in P3Dv2.5 and, according to stansdds post,
FSX Acceleration ? Weird thing is, the object is there ...along with some of its texturing.

falcon409
April 15th, 2018, 13:42
Ed - I don't have any Orbx scenery specific to that area. I do have their global products, but I don't believe they contain any mesh files.

I do have FreeMeshX but disabling that makes no difference.

Many sceneries do come with an additional elevation .bgl that somehow re-enforces any elevation over-ride issue and sits in the Scenery/World/scenery folder.
(although I have no idea how they actually work!)

Might that be something worth looking at?

A.

ps. and then there's still the mystery of the missing texture...could that be a texture file not present in P3Dv2.5 and, according to stansdds post,
FSX Acceleration ? Weird thing is, the object is there ...along with some of its texturing.

I will look into the elevation problem. As for the texture that's missing. It is possible that some see it and others don't because they have previous airports of mine that have that texture as well and so it pulls that texture for this scenery. When I put the package together I located the various objects and their associated textures and loaded everything needed into this one zip file so that no one would have to go searching for other object/texture files. If you can, please do a "top-down" screen of that object so I can see where it is on the airport and locate it so I can see what texture it needs. Thanks.

Dimus
April 15th, 2018, 13:44
Ed, I had a brief look in 4.2 with ORBX on. It seems that there is a flatten on the parking area and the taxiway next to runway 20 end that puts it on a plateau in relation to another flatten for the rest of the runway. It seems that the runway flatten is the correct one as it coincides with the airport altitude I see in ADE when I open your bgl.

https://i.imgur.com/cUv81IR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/boreJtF.jpg

Maybe you did not make that flatten and it comes up by an ORBX file and needs to be found and deactivated.

aardvark62
April 15th, 2018, 14:44
If you can, please do a "top-down" screen of that object so I can see where it is on the airport and locate it so I can see what texture it needs.

Hi Ed. As requested, I have attached a screen highlighting the 3 buildings that seem to be missing the same texture:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59597&stc=1

Hope this is of some help,

Cheers, A.

ps. I've never worked out how to get my uploaded screens any larger, apologies for any forced squinting!

Postbaer61
April 15th, 2018, 15:06
I solved my elevation problem, by installing Tangier Island scenery directly above Edwards_AFB and under all ORBX scenery entries.
It seems Dimus is right and the culprit comes with ORBX sceneries.

https://i.imgur.com/SLwfGoQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/snyIs3T.jpg

falcon409
April 15th, 2018, 17:59
Ed, I had a brief look in 4.2 with ORBX on. It seems that there is a flatten on the parking area and the taxiway next to runway 20 end that puts it on a plateau in relation to another flatten for the rest of the runway. It seems that the runway flatten is the correct one as it coincides with the airport altitude I see in ADE when I open your bgl.
Maybe you did not make that flatten and it comes up by an ORBX file and needs to be found and deactivated.
Dimus I did one full flatten that follows the outer edges of the parking ramp and the runway. . .all one poly. As an aside, moving Tangier down in the scenery library position did nothing to fix the problem. Odd that in FSX with full Orbx scenery everything is perfect. . .go to P3D and everything goes to hell in a hand basket. Is it any wonder I have more scenery projects that I've never released than those that I do? It's ridiculous stuff like this.

I'm looking for the lone texture needed to fix those homes.:banghead:

Dimus
April 16th, 2018, 00:26
Dimus I did one full flatten that follows the outer edges of the parking ramp and the runway. . .all one poly. As an aside, moving Tangier down in the scenery library position did nothing to fix the problem. Odd that in FSX with full Orbx scenery everything is perfect. . .go to P3D and everything goes to hell in a hand basket. Is it any wonder I have more scenery projects that I've never released than those that I do? It's ridiculous stuff like this.

I'm looking for the lone texture needed to fix those homes.:banghead:

I have observed that prioritization is different in P3D than FSX on many things. I'm sure you've done your flatten correctly, this plateau is probably caused by something that is somehow prioritized above yours.

Edit: Just saw your other post and the fact that you have forgotten a flatten file. Nice it is solved.