PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished another one: RAF King's Cliffe

IanP
April 14th, 2018, 04:57
This one has been sitting around for ages, thanks to my general lack of functionality and operational capability, however I've now finally finished the readme file and uploaded RAF King's Cliffe (X3KC) to my website.

Originally opened as a grass surface satellite field for the very nearby RAF Wittering, in 1940, King's Cliffe / Kings Cliffe / Kingscliffe (it appears to be a 'take your pick' on the name!) was used by a number of Spitfire squadrons, plus the 347th FS visiting with their P-39s prior to moving to North Africa. Zemke's Wolfpack made a brief guest appearance with their P-47s prior to the airfield being formally handed over to the 8th Air Force and being populated by the "Loco Busters" of the 20th Fighter Group, bringing P-38 Lightnings, then P-51B/D/K Mustangs to the Northamptonshire skies. They also, rather belatedly, finally got hard runways installed for them.

This scenery is set during the 20th FG's tenure, with not just the original panhandle dispersals, but also twin-engine fighter revetments and a large number of Extra-Over Blister hangars for your aircraft to occupy. I've also included a SODE file for runway caravans and the landing direction "T".

You can find it here - http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/flight-sim/historical-scenery/usaaf-airfields/raf-kings-cliffe/ - have fun! :)

Ian P.

dhasdell
April 14th, 2018, 06:18
Just to clarify, Ian, are your recent airfields compatible with Orbx England, Orbx Global or only default FSX?

David

SSI01
April 14th, 2018, 08:29
One of my HS history teachers was stationed here as, I think, a gun-camera tech. Some years back I was at a departmental library in the Navy and found an end-of-war 20FG yearbook showing all pilots assigned to the group, who was POW/MIA/KIA. Also practically everyone in the ground staff, including the teacher. And a handsome devil he was, too.

IanP
April 14th, 2018, 10:13
I don't think I dare mention teachers on this thread right now... :bee: :biggrin-new:

David: I develop using FTX England on top of World + Vector + EUR Landclass + PILOTs Global Mesh. It should in theory work just as well with any other even vaguely accurate mesh, or any low-density mesh. Because I put a grass landclass poly under the airfield, to fix the changes made by Orbx to the FSX core files, it should also work with any other texture set and Landclass set. One person I know uses the scenery with the UK VFR Photoscenery and usually sends me sarcastic comments when the taxiways and runways don't quite line up with the photos.

That's the theory... I'm not aware of any issues since I found a way around the Orbx changes, but if anyone finds or knows of any, please let me know.

Cheers,

Ian P,