PDA

View Full Version : Airbases.dat relationship to MB

Ghostrider
February 15th, 2009, 16:19
Hey fellas,

I have been laboring under the assumption that when I added airbase data to my airbases.dat file, and incremented the runway and ID numbers, and kept that little box thingy at the end of the file, that I would have those airbases available to use in MB. I have discovered that this is not the case?

Is there a limit to the number of airbases? My airbases file shows 331 airfields.

The airfields show up in the main sim - free flight, etc..., but not in MB. I'm sure I have done something wrong, just not sure what - any ideas?

Thanks for your help,

GR

jimskifs
February 15th, 2009, 17:15
I have the same problem with about the same number of bases. I suppose we could test the "max number" theory by deleting some in the middle, renumbering, and see if those on the end that were missing will appear in MB.

Jimski

Shadow Wolf 07
February 15th, 2009, 17:19
It used to be a relationship of file size - 63 kb which ususally topped out at about 250 bases. Now with more powerful systems you can ge a lot more. I just checked and I have 342 bases and a file size of 94 kb. My last base on the list - noumea - shows up in MB, so I suppose all the ones before it are good too. I found that if you make a numbering mistake, the list will stop showing entries after the last correct entry. That is if you went from runway # 224 to 226,, all the entries after 224 will not show. Cody Coyote and maskrider know more about this file.

Check the size. you can make it smaller by shrinking the number of characters used. For example MR SI Ballale 27 becomes Ballale 27. You'd be suprised how fast file size shrinks when you edit like that

Ghostrider
February 15th, 2009, 18:00
Thanks guys - will check into that!

GR

Jagdflieger
February 15th, 2009, 20:35
With Windows XP, I'm able to exceede 400 entries in my airfield.dat file without any trouble. In fact, if you list all of Xavier's far east bases, you'll be very close to 400.

There are several airfield.dat files of around 300 to 400 airbases optimized for each theater in my Mega MB Support Package. Try one of those. They all tested out fine with no trouble during the development process.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=13484

miamieagle
February 16th, 2009, 04:13
I have in one of my install over 600 Airbases entries with XP. What you can do is to add on your backup external Hardrive three or four or perhaps more folders with Airbabes collection inside it from different Areas of the World for your different Installs. Write the name of the area you are covering on the folder. For example Airbases for Western Europe on the Folder that has the Airbases covering that Area with in it.You can repeat this process over and over again. Just copy it from the Folder that has the Airbases that you want to fly from for that day and paste it inside the Info folder in the install that you want to use. Thats it.

You can use this method as many time as you like!

I hope you like this information!

Ghostrider
February 16th, 2009, 08:03
Thanks so much guys - I'll try it out tonight!

GR

Devildog73
February 16th, 2009, 09:14
Yeah, I am right there with Jagd. I have between 200 and 400 airbases in each of my installs. The low is 230. The high is 381. I am running XP SP3 and have no problems.

Ghostrider
February 17th, 2009, 16:39
Thanks again Jagd, your .dat worked like a charm!

GR