PDA

View Full Version : FSX Runway Markings Possible to alter the way they look?

BendyFlyer
April 5th, 2018, 03:52
One thing that has always bugged me right from the days of FS98 was the way the program over emphsised the runway outlines with white dashes, either from the air or on the ground. So with great scenery etc these days it looks downright stupid. Yes I am sure a lot of people don't notice or it helps locate the runway for lots of others but in real life a runway does not jump out you like this, the lights may but that grey or red or brown strip jumps out does that just as well. For example if one is taxying for take off I can see the runway beside me or nearby and do not need to have these bright white dashed lines along the runway but they always disappear when you line up but from airborne view or at certain angles I find them annoying and spoil the sim experience.

Does anybody know if this can be changed? or removed altogether without changing the white runway markings or removing them?

expat
April 5th, 2018, 03:59
Not sure what you mean. Can you post a screen shot?

dhazelgrove
April 5th, 2018, 05:30
These things are changeable using REX4 (http://www.rexsimulations.com/texturedirectsc.html).

Dave

Dimus
April 5th, 2018, 05:44
REX indeed has some "no-lines" runway texture choices. However, if the airport AFCAD has defined that the runway should have white lines on the sides then they will be displayed, regardless of any replacement textures one uses, either from REX or another package. The only way to change this is to use ADE to edit the airport file and uncheck the "edge lines" from the runway properties. This however will not be a global solution and it will need to be airport by airport.

I have observed that in full-blown areas, ORBX have done this to many airports and their runways are indeed more subtle.

stearmandriver
April 5th, 2018, 09:18
If I understand correctly, you aren't so much wanting to alter the markings that runways have, so much as alter their appearance to make them less vivid? I agree default runways "pop" a bit too much. If that's the case, definitely check out Rex texture direct... it allows global replacement of textures in the sim. New skies, new water, new grass, pavement... and a bunch of new runway markings. One click can make all your "vivid" runway markings old and faded, with or without tire marks etc. Lots of options, much more realistic looking.

BendyFlyer
April 5th, 2018, 17:43
Okay thanks for the info I will look at the REX textures things I am sure I have it somewhere but have not used it because ORBX does the same thing. Having another look it is not all that do this but some airports that do this (generally default FSX airports and some others).

Thanks for the suggestion re ADE, amending all the ADE's would not be feasible as there are 17,000 plus airports etc in FSX. I guess I could do them one by one as required.