PDA

View Full Version : I dislike Firefox right now!

falcon409
March 29th, 2018, 03:59
For some reason, after working in Paint Shop Pro, I opened Firefox to check something and it locked up. I rebooted and NOW. . .ugh. . .I can click on the icon for Firefox, but nothing displays. Task Manager shows that it's using CPU resources (27%), but it won't show on the screen. It wanted to do an update a few days ago and I passed on that. Just wondering now if it went ahead anyway. Grrrr!

Presently I'm using Microsoft Edge.

zswobbie1
March 29th, 2018, 04:18
My Edge stopped working... it told me it was not connected, so I changed to Firefox.
Try going to Task Manager, CTL-ALT-DEL & see if there is a Firefox process running, & delete/stop it.
Maybe that will help.

falcon409
March 29th, 2018, 05:32
Thanks, but as I mentioned in my post above, that's just what I did. I've tried ending those services and then rebooting, but after half a dozen boots, there seems to be no solution. I will continue to use Edge for now and unless I can find a corrective action for Firefox, I'll send them a nastygram and then stay with Edge.

Desert Rat
March 29th, 2018, 05:46
Opera.com (https://www.opera.com) Been my goto browser for well over a decade. Never had a single bit of trouble.

falcon409
March 29th, 2018, 06:16
Opera.com (https://www.opera.com) Been my goto browser for well over a decade. Never had a single bit of trouble.
Thanks, working in Opera right now. I uninstalled Firefox, which I planned to do anyway just to see if a fresh install would clear the problem. I didn't like the fact that Firefox started dropping some plugins and apps from their setup and instead forced you into workarounds to get things to work.

For now I'll stay with Opera and give it a shot.

gman5250
March 29th, 2018, 07:29
Lots of tweaks and algorithms being shuffled around in all of the usual places Ed. Browsers are at the top of the daisy chain.

Yesterday I lost ModelConverterX. Last week I lost GMAX. 3DStudio got broke, but I fixed it...kind of. As far as Firefox or Edge...I don't like them but use them in a limited capacity. Also TOR, but that is sketchy in my book for reasons I won't cover here. lol

I'm seriously thinking about going back to smoke signals....:pirate:

glh
March 29th, 2018, 07:52
I will ditto JD's comments. No problems with Opera.

Bjoern
March 29th, 2018, 14:07
Start Firefox in safe mode, close it, then try again in regular mode. If this won't work, install the latest version using the installer from the homepage.

Yesterday I lost ModelConverterX. Last week I lost GMAX. 3DStudio got broke, but I fixed it...kind of. As far as Firefox or Edge...I don't like them but use them in a limited capacity. Also TOR, but that is sketchy in my book for reasons I won't cover here. lol

If even ModelConverter won't work, shoot your PC in the mainboard. I can understand if 3ds Max gets a hiccup here and there because it brings just so much sideline BS, and GMax is a bit-...ter pain in the posterior on Win 10 anyway, but MCX is so lo-fi that it might even run on a 486.

gman5250
March 29th, 2018, 20:15
If even ModelConverter won't work, shoot your PC in the mainboard. I can understand if 3ds Max gets a hiccup here and there because it brings just so much sideline BS, and GMax is a bit-...ter pain in the posterior on Win 10 anyway, but MCX is so lo-fi that it might even run on a 486.

Things have been breaking following Win10 updates. I don't blame it specifically on those updates, but the architecture could allow some nasties to backdoor their way in. I had the problem in Photoshop a couple of weeks ago, and lots of blue screen crashes since. I updated all of my drivers and chased out any possibilities from DPC Watchdog related issues.
I solved the 3Ds Max issue by deleting the AppData/Roaming/Autodesk folder and letting it rebuild.

Sure...Gmax is always on shaky ground in Win10, but when MCX went TU I started seeing a pattern. The icons refuse to boot the programs. I downloaded Arno's latest build for MCX...no joy.

The stuff I've been studying the last couple of weeks persuades me that certain dark web entities, bots, AI and "Anonymous" crypto-acolytes are causing a lot of "ripples in the force". That's my opinion, but there is a pattern developing...and I follow patterns.

When this post popped up, I saw things similar to the patterns I am experiencing...specifically the icon failing to boot a program.
I am not certain that a mainboard problem is at the heart of this, but I've been busy working with the tools that do work, and leaving the forensics for when I'm not up to my eyeballs in work. :very_drunk:

vortex
March 30th, 2018, 02:29
Gman, problems with so many different apps would tend to indicate a hardware, rather than software, problem. It's easy to think that something sinister has got into your system but if you've got decent antivirus protection that's unlikely. Are your system temps OK? Is the RAM seated correctly? Have you run a disk check on your drives? Gradual PSU problems can also cause random crashes and app failures.

gman5250
March 30th, 2018, 05:42
Gman, problems with so many different apps would tend to indicate a hardware, rather than software, problem. It's easy to think that something sinister has got into your system but if you've got decent antivirus protection that's unlikely. Are your system temps OK? Is the RAM seated correctly? Have you run a disk check on your drives? Gradual PSU problems can also cause random crashes and app failures.

That's the logical reasoning, and I check out all of those possibilities. The box is clean, all of the system components are up to date and show that they are running with no issues. Temps are fine...according to the resources I have to monitor.

When Ed posted his issue with the icon not booting, my red flags went up, so I did some experimenting this AM.

My most recent "loss" was MCX...which I upgrade almost daily as Arno releases his updated builds. Out of curiosity, I went to my backup archives and tried to open an earlier version of MCX, dating about six months ago. It opened fine, so the only version not booting is the most recent in my registry.

I know that my system is running within spec...at least as far as I can ascertain. So, I look for other possibilities.

I know that MS, Google, YouTube, Twitter and the other monopoly entities are working overtime, tweaking algorithms. That's hard data.
I know that crypto mining is breaking out on the exponential to the upside, to the point where "mining" will seek to utilize one hundred percent of the available power availability by 2020...according to multiple experts.

I know that the price of hardware is skyrocketing because of the demands of the crypto miners.

I come to the reasonable assumption that a certain percentage of the coders, hackers and other nefarious individuals...i.e. Steemit/Ponzi schemes will seek to gain advantage using any means available. That includes bots and AI if you read their boards.

I arrive at the reasonable logic that it is possible that the "dark web" has reached numbers significant to influence the web, in general and that the coincidental failure of my various tools coincides with MS updates that provide access...check the EULA...to just about anyone willing to pay for my data.

I come away with the realization that my OS is no longer my proprietary tool and that when things break I'll crunch all of the available possibilities and default to Occam's Razor.

I may be completely out in left field...but I've been right about a lot of things over the years, and I'm following my gut.

BTW...I sincerely appreciate the input in this, and my intent was to offer Ed a possible explanation as to why Firefox went AWOL. :encouragement: