PDA

View Full Version : Thought about getting a VR headset, but.....

Navy Chief
March 25th, 2018, 15:36
I was at Best Buy yesterday to return a item, and while there, I decided to take another look at VR headsets. Now I am sure some folks here will either support or dispute what the guy there told me, but according to the information I was given, my system will not run a VR headset setup efficiently.

I am running the following:

Intel i7 X 980 3.33ghz

RAM 16gb

AMD RX480

Everything is running just nice and smooth in P3DV4. My system was built in 2010, but most recently (in the past couple months) I replaced the SSDs. My motherboard, a Rampager III, cannot take a newer processor, or so I am told.

I am NOT hell bent on buying a VR headset, and (from what I hear about prices of graphics cards right now), I am sure as heck not in any hurry to do so, either!

But when the time comes, I hope I can afford another system that WILL handle a VR. Just won't be now!

NC

DennyA
March 25th, 2018, 16:51
Actually, the RX480 is fine for mid-range VR (https://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/radeon-rx-480-2016may31.aspx). You'd just have to drop the detail a bit to get a smooth frame rate. A Best Buy tech will tell you the CPU's not enough, but that's hooey. Based on the manufacturer recommendations, they just go off CPU age. But that processor is fast enough for VR. I'm running a Core i7-3960X, which is older than recommended, but it's fast enough that it's fine.

Amazon has the base Oculus Rift for $249 (https://amzn.to/2I2q2gq) right now without the controllers (you don't need those for flight sims). That's a killer bargain.

You could always pick one up and return it to Amazon if you can't tweak the performance/visuals to your liking.

LouP
March 25th, 2018, 17:41
Should be fine for a rift but be careful with a mixed reality headset, your cpu needs the AVX instruction set. In other words it has to be a newer cpu. One of the reasons I decided to upgrade. I have a Samsung Odysee waiting for my new build to show up.

LouP

PhantomTweak
March 25th, 2018, 22:18
I don't know a thing about VR headsets. You need TWO eyes for VR, and, well, that leaves me out. Only one left after the horse/motorcycle episode...

Sorry, I can't be more help...
Pat☺

DaveWG
March 25th, 2018, 23:18
There's a tool on the Oculus website that will check your system for compatability, but judging by your specs, you would be able to use it but I think your system would struggle a bit and it wouldn't be satisfying experience.

Martyn
March 26th, 2018, 02:09
I'm using an Oculus Rift on this PC hardware and it works perfectly in XP11, P3D v4, Aerofly FS2 and a variety of other VR 'experiences':

i7-6700K @ 4GHz
8GB RAM
Radeon RX 480
SSD hard drive

Navy Chief
March 26th, 2018, 05:34
There's a tool on the Oculus website that will check your system for compatability, but judging by your specs, you would be able to use it but I think your system would struggle a bit and it wouldn't be satisfying experience.

That's pretty much what the guy at Best Buy said.

Navy Chief
March 26th, 2018, 05:36
I'm using an Oculus Rift on this PC hardware and it works perfectly in XP11, P3D v4, Aerofly FS2 and a variety of other VR 'experiences':

i7-6700K @ 4GHz
8GB RAM
Radeon RX 480
SSD hard drive

My processor is older/slower at 3.3ghz. Probably makes a difference.

jmig
March 26th, 2018, 05:41
What is the current resolution on those things? I tried the Riff Development version a few years ago at a cockpit show in Texas. It was cook, however, I thought the resolution needed to be better. It was with the native Maule and although, I could read the gauges, they were not as sharp as I would have liked.

I am considering one but hesitant.

b52bob
March 26th, 2018, 06:39
VR unfortunately has not taken off as hoped probably due to high prices and low resolution. The big sellers in VR are for consoles. I will also wait for resolution to increase and prices to lower.

i have read somewhere that new devices are coming soon. I hope so as everything I have heard about VR says it’s tremendously immersive.

Stickshaker
March 26th, 2018, 11:44
I suppose it depends on the type of flying that you do whether the low resolution is really a problem. In airliners it is much more of a problem than with combat aircraft, and if you have a good programmable joystick and throttle switches that are a bit blurry don’t matter much, at least to me. Compared with the real flying I’ve done in a range of single-engined aircraft, feeling like you sit in the cockpit compensates for any optical limitation of the Rift, compared to looking at a monitor and seeing the cars in your street drive by when you forget to look strictly ahead.

DaveWG
March 26th, 2018, 12:18
I don't try and fly anything like the NGX or Dash 8 in VR. It's not just the low resolution, it's also operating all the switches, FMCs etc. It is doable but fiddly. Something like a Spitfire or a Sopwith Camel though is superb.

scotth6
March 27th, 2018, 06:36
Hi Chief,

My PC specs didn't pass the Rift Compatibility requirements, but I bought one anyway. I actually paid $650 USD (and I'm NOT a rich man) because I pre ordered before they were first released, and it is honestly the best investment I have made for my flight simming, along with the HOTAS Warthog. I still use a 2D monitor too, probably more than 50% of the time but the VR experience is really cool. I can't believe they are now so cheap! As stated, you would not need the Touch controllers (although it is annoying that they are making so many games that only use the Touch controllers).

What I did was just compare my hardware to the minimum and recommended specs for the Rift, and I was satisfied that my performance would be OK. Research is the key, which is why you asked here I suppose :encouragement:.

I just had a look at my specs vs your specs on "CPU Benchmark" and "Video card Benchmark" and mine are a bit higher than yours.

I have an Intel i7-2700k O/C to 4.5GHz and an Asus Strix GTX980 which score 8732 (for the 3.5GHz) and 9586 respectively.

In comparison your scores for CPU and Video card are 8721 (for the Intel Core i7-980) and 8113.

IMHO I think you would run Aerofly FS2 and DCS World comfortably, and also P3D V4 with lower to mid settings and in the right situation. My performance is great in DCS World and Aerofly FS2, and many other Oculus games such as EVE Valkyrie and Project Cars 2. For P3D (V3 and V4) and FSX I need to adjust my settings and/or fly in isolated areas away from heavily populated scenery. Before I got the Rift I remember commenting that I didn't think I would be able to fly the PMDG 747 out of Sydney, but would be very happy to do touch and goes in a Cessna at a remote bush strip, and that is pretty much how I have used it for the most part. I have however flown the PMDG 747 in FSX from Luxembourg to Frankfurt (not a long trip :untroubled:), both with addon airports and over full photoreal, and with the right settings that is a great flight.

I do however get much better performance, and I can pump my settings up, at places like Seychelles, the Carribean, American Samoa, Nantucket, Alaska etc....

Even just flying over photoreal states or countries I can get really high frames with many aircraft, so it's all just a matter of choosing the right aircraft, scenery and settings.

All just food for thought:encouragement:

Cheers,

triflyman
March 27th, 2018, 12:48
Apologize for hijacking this but I also have been considering getting VR. First, thanks for letting me know about Oculus Website to determine if my set-up can handle it...will look at that.

I did notice it said that I don't need the "controllers"...so I don't understand how I would control switches, power levers, flight controls, etc. since I can't see my current controls (if this question shows a lack of my research...your correct). Can someone enlighten me on this?

Thanks,

Navy Chief
March 27th, 2018, 18:25
Thanks all for your input/replies.

I am tempted to get a VR headset, but may wait a little bit. Yes, the prices have come way down. For that matter, I would like to try one, just to see if I would even like it. NC

scotth6
March 27th, 2018, 18:30
Apologize for hijacking this but I also have been considering getting VR. First, thanks for letting me know about Oculus Website to determine if my set-up can handle it...will look at that.

I did notice it said that I don't need the "controllers"...so I don't understand how I would control switches, power levers, flight controls, etc. since I can't see my current controls (if this question shows a lack of my research...your correct). Can someone enlighten me on this?

Thanks,

Hi,

The controllers Oculus refer to would be the Touch controllers. You don't need these for flight sim, although they can be used. Control in the sim (s) is with the same equipment as on a monitor. Joystick, throttle, rudder, keyboard and mouse.

triflyman
March 28th, 2018, 16:04
The controllers Oculus refer to would be the Touch controllers. You don't need these for flight sim, although they can be used. Control in the sim (s) is with the same equipment as on a monitor. Joystick, throttle, rudder, keyboard and mouse.[/QUOTE]

Great...thanks. But how do you see your controllers with the headset completely covering your eyes...is it a matter of having to remove the headset every time you want to hit a new switch? I use a CH Yoke and Throttle Quadrant with all the switches assigned to a function.

Thanks,

wombat666
March 28th, 2018, 17:49
Just FTR, I was able to get a 'test run' with a couple of VR sets (including RIFT) at the last IT trade show with the use of VR in Race Sims in mind.
Not for me.
My PC will run one without breaking a sweat but I do not like the bulk of the head set at all, rather do without as I was unimpressed by the lack of 'immersion'.
I'd go so far as to say that the target market is the console shooter kiddies.............:173go1:

Dangerous Beans
March 29th, 2018, 12:47
Just FTR, I was able to get a 'test run' with a couple of VR sets )including RIFT) at the last IT trade show with the use of VR in Race Sims in mind.
Not for me.
My PC will run one without breaking a sweat but I do not like the bulk of the head set at all, rather do without as I was unimpressed by the lack of 'immersion'.
I'd go so far as to say that the target market is the console shooter kiddies.............:173go1:

What games or Sims did you get to try VR with ?

For me at least the immersion is through the roof in VR, I find it hard to go back to flying or racing in a flat non VR world now.
Although it definitely has its place in shooters, I'm currently having a lot of fun playing Fallout 4 VR. Race and Flight Sims is where it really shines.
The sense of actually being in the cockpit is totally convincing. In fact I'v nearly fallen off my chair a few times now trying to lean on some bulkhead or whatever that wasn't really there while looking around in a new plane or car :)

strykerpsg
March 29th, 2018, 15:18

For me at least the immersion is through the roof in VR, I find it hard to go back to flying or racing in a flat non VR world now.
Although it definitely has its place in shooters, I'm currently having a lot of fun playing Fallout 4 VR. Race and Flight Sims is where it really shines.
The sense of actually being in the cockpit is totally convincing. In fact I'v nearly fallen off my chair a few times now trying to lean on some bulkhead or whatever that wasn't really there while looking around in a new plane or car :)

I agree 100% with the above statement. While it's not for everyone for obvious reasons, I do not think the intended audience are the console gamers. They already have some nice VR assets. I think OR and Vive are truly trying to find that next level of immersion, as much as the multi-screen spanned monitors, 4K, Track IR and HOTAS have tried to bring simmers to the next level of realism. However, it's hard to feel immersed when you are flying, driving or fighting in a 2D world. Enter then 3D that reacts to your head movements and hand gestures. Just a whole other level of experience that is now hitting the entry level consumer price range based on supply and demand. It will only get better as time marches forward.

scotth6
March 30th, 2018, 04:00
Great...thanks. But how do you see your controllers with the headset completely covering your eyes...is it a matter of having to remove the headset every time you want to hit a new switch? I use a CH Yoke and Throttle Quadrant with all the switches assigned to a function.

Thanks,

Hi,

I'm not sure how, but it just works :biggrin-new:

I use a HOTAS setup with rudder pedals, and have some functions such as flaps, spoiler, mixture, and prop assigned to my throttle base. In FSX/P3D I don't find myself using that many more controls. Using Flyinside or P3D V4 VR you can use the mouse the same as you do on a monitor to click or turn any switches or knobs in your cockpit. Apart from that, you can still just peek down at your keyboard if it is right in front of you, as there is a slight gap at the bottom of the HMD which allows you to see down. I still use the G key for gear, Tilde key (~) for ATC and more, and it is very easy.

With sims such as DCS World I have many more functions assigned to my HOTAS controllers, and try as much as possible to replicate the real world HOTAS setup for each aircraft. I will still have to use the keyboard and mouse for a lot of functions, but it is very natural.

Cheers,

Stickshaker
March 31st, 2018, 02:07
Just FTR, I was able to get a 'test run' with a couple of VR sets (including RIFT) at the last IT trade show with the use of VR in Race Sims in mind.
Not for me.

I agree the headset is a bit bulky, but in real military planes you wear a helmet, sometimes a HMD, and an oxygen mask which, I think, are even more bulky. And I got used to the HMD quite quickly. It may be different when you prefer civilian planes. My motorcycle helmet is way more uncomfortable to wear.

HyFlyer
March 31st, 2018, 03:58
I was at Best Buy yesterday to return a item, and while there, I decided to take another look at VR headsets. Now I am sure some folks here will either support or dispute what the guy there told me, but according to the information I was given, my system will not run a VR headset setup efficiently.

I am running the following:

Intel i7 X 980 3.33ghz

RAM 16gb

AMD RX480

Everything is running just nice and smooth in P3DV4. My system was built in 2010, but most recently (in the past couple months) I replaced the SSDs. My motherboard, a Rampager III, cannot take a newer processor, or so I am told.

I am NOT hell bent on buying a VR headset, and (from what I hear about prices of graphics cards right now), I am sure as heck not in any hurry to do so, either!

But when the time comes, I hope I can afford another system that WILL handle a VR. Just won't be now!

NC

Run the free Steam Vr performance test: http://store.steampowered.com/app/323910/SteamVR_Performance_Test/

LouP
March 31st, 2018, 05:18
My processor is older/slower at 3.3ghz. Probably makes a difference.

It's not the speed of the CPU. I was running a i7 980x at 4.2 ghz that failed mixed reality. A Vive or Rift would work as I had a Vive up and running aok no problem. I wanted to upgrade to the Vive Pro but when I saw the pricing from HTC for the upgrade I couldn't and wouldn't support that product any more. I returned the Vive and went and bought the Samsung Odyssey that has similar specs as the Vive Pro. That's when I found out the CPU NEEDS to support the AVX instruction set for Mixed Reality to work. In other words, it has to be a newer CPU. I had a new PC built for this reason and just because it was time to and I am glad I did. I cannibalized what I could out of my old system which was basically the GTX 1080, the SSDs, and hard drives and am now running a i7 8700 with 64 gig RAM and everything works great.

The guy at Best Buy was probably lining himself up to sell you a Mixed Reality version of the headset when he said a 980x would not work.

LouP

Navy Chief
March 31st, 2018, 05:35
Run the free Steam Vr performance test: http://store.steampowered.com/app/323910/SteamVR_Performance_Test/

Yep, it confirmed what the guy at Best Buy said. Marginal performance at best. Oh well. Other things to spend my cash on for now. When my system crashes again, then I will consider building another, but graphics cards are just too costly right now. NC

wombat666
March 31st, 2018, 07:03

I avoid the 'Shooters' and such but I was able to get a run in Project Cars 2 and an 'early' release of the TT Isle of Man, along with one of the variations of DCS.
It was interesting BUT: In car sim(s) I just did not get the vibration, G-forces, road impacts and 'seat of the bum' driving experience, which I can compare to RL driving aboard my Ford GT40 replica and a variety of Porsche 911 flavors, from straight up road cars through to a Carerra Cup hairy beast.
A total 'meh' on the IOM, pretty much as for the cars but even worse if one has been riding bikes IRL.
The Flight Sim experience probably comes out best, but I to me (just me, myself) it seems like trying to use a Warthog control package in Rise of Flight.
Ergo, not high or not even on my priority list.
:encouragement:

Dangerous Beans
March 31st, 2018, 14:10
I avoid the 'Shooters' and such but I was able to get a run in Project Cars 2 and an 'early' release of the TT Isle of Man, along with one of the variations of DCS.
It was interesting BUT: In car sim(s) I just did not get the vibration, G-forces, road impacts and 'seat of the bum' driving experience, which I can compare to RL driving aboard my Ford GT40 replica and a variety of Porsche 911 flavors, from straight up road cars through to a Carerra Cup hairy beast.
A total 'meh' on the IOM, pretty much as for the cars but even worse if one has been riding bikes IRL.
The Flight Sim experience probably comes out best, but I to me (just me, myself) it seems like trying to use a Warthog control package in Rise of Flight.
Ergo, not high or not even on my priority list.

Well your not going to get that on a monitor either, your going to need a full motion platform for that and thats mega bucks.

I havnt tried PCars 2 yet but in Asetto Corsa the biggest difference I notice besides the WOW I'm sitting in the car factor is that the cambers and elevations of the tracks feel right and I can judge distances far better then on a monitor.

In flight sims The whole distance and perspective thing has made a huge difference in my landings. Before I was always a bit of a heavy lander but in VR I can nail it pretty much all the time. Hedi in the A2A Cub dosnt bitch and moan and me any more :)

wombat666
March 31st, 2018, 18:39
Well your not going to get that on a monitor either, your going to need a full motion platform for that and thats mega bucks.

I havnt tried PCars 2 yet but in Asetto Corsa the biggest difference I notice besides the WOW I'm sitting in the car factor is that the cambers and elevations of the tracks feel right and I can judge distances far better then on a monitor.

In flight sims The whole distance and perspective thing has made a huge difference in my landings. Before I was always a bit of a heavy lander but in VR I can nail it pretty much all the time. Hedi in the A2A Cub dosnt bitch and moan and me any more :)

Actually I don't expect to get the VR effect on a monitor and I (just me, myself) don't need it.
Agreed, it probably handles the Flight Sim(s) experience better but I'm not that bothered as I tend to just kick the tyres and light the fires.
And I own my own 'full motion platforms'.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/992x744q90/r/923/BceIDB.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/992x744q90/r/924/UcrmjD.jpg

Like I said, not for me, I prefer genuine 'reality.

LouP
March 31st, 2018, 20:28
You left out the pitcure of your girlfriend who also happens to be a model. :-)

LouP

wombat666
March 31st, 2018, 23:39
You left out the pitcure of your girlfriend who also happens to be a model. :-)

LouP

Nah! My wife would perform really unpleasant medical procedures on me without using an anesthetic!
:a1089:

Victory103
April 1st, 2018, 06:02
You had me at "GT40"! Nice/rare RC8, just test rode the Panigale V4, but can't part with my 1098 just yet. VR is probably on the horizon for me given a few models for DCS coming and even if I do find that RW airplane purchase in the next year or 2, can't see a fulltime sim replacement.

strykerpsg
April 1st, 2018, 15:06
You had me at "GT40"! Nice/rare RC8, just test rode the Panigale V4, but can't part with my 1098 just yet. VR is probably on the horizon for me given a few models for DCS coming and even if I do find that RW airplane purchase in the next year or 2, can't see a fulltime sim replacement.

Thought about the X Diavel S? A bit more of a relaxed riding position but all the brute power Ducati's are known for and can still get the aggressive leaning you found on your 1098. I had a BMW K1300s prior and loved it for long trips, but the X Diavel will be my new long distance cruiser/bruiser.

I finally got my OR installed this weekend and am awaiting the next DCS update before giving her a try. I will also look at Fly Inside to see how it enhances FSX/P3D. I had initially considered leasing a plane a few years back, but there were quite a few here that spoke about some additional thoughts and costs to ponder before doing so. For those that have can indeed buy the real thing, my hats off to you.

DennyA
April 1st, 2018, 21:04
The AVX instruction set's been around since 2011, though, so most PCs that have the oomph to run P3D4 at a decent speed have a decent chance of having that chipset.

For Mixed Reality, just download and run this and it will tell you yea or nay. My 2011-era Core i7-3960X passes:

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NZVL19N7CNC

(Man. Remember back in the 90s and early-2000-oughts when you had to upgrade your CPU every two years for flight sims?)

LouP
April 2nd, 2018, 05:00
The AVX instruction set's been around since 2011, though, so most PCs that have the oomph to run P3D4 at a decent speed have a decent chance of having that chipset.

For Mixed Reality, just download and run this and it will tell you yea or nay. My 2011-era Core i7-3960X passes:

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NZVL19N7CNC

(Man. Remember back in the 90s and early-2000-oughts when you had to upgrade your CPU every two years for flight sims?)

Don't assume you have it. As I said, I was running a very robust 6 core i7 980x @ 4.2 ghz that was handling everything I was throwing at it but it did not have AVX. Another way to tell is to run CPUz, it lists out all the instruction sets on the chip. Also, I was running a Vive with no issues, this applies to Mixed Reality. My guess is that a Rift would have worked, too, but never ran one myself.

LouP

wombat666
April 2nd, 2018, 06:05

Keep your Duke!! The 1098 is the real deal and I wouldn't part with my 996. :encouragement:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/889x667q90/r/540/8rElqg.jpg

Victory103
April 2nd, 2018, 07:08
Now several threads going on VR on other sim sites, but I like reading what others are running to enhance your home sim. My quest to replace my 17'' gaming laptop may go to the wayside as I didn't feel like lugging it during overseas travel. Searching online for a desktop to maximize the VR set up and bang for the $$$. After I purchased my TM Warthog, I realized I was serious about sims again, but not looking at any Level D full motion stuff.

@wombat666, on the hunt now for my collection of 90s superbikes. I've got my ZX-7RR, looking for a 996/8, RC-51, and the rare R7 (a guy here in AZ has one, doesn't return my calls!). @strykerpsg I test rode the Diavel during launch and ever since, I ride the fleet on Ducati sponsored demo days as I did with this last one, even got on the Hypermotard! I used mil sales to get a HD bagger, but sadly my wandering eyes look back over to the sexy Italian at times.

IanHenry
April 2nd, 2018, 09:17
What's the difference between Virtual Reality and Mixed Reality, and can you use Mixed Reality for flight sim?

Ian

awstub
April 2nd, 2018, 09:52
With Virtual Reality, you only see and interact with things that are in the virtual space (world).
With Mixed Reality you see and interact with both the virtual space and reality.

One of the best forms of Mixed Reality I have see is with the (now defunct) CastAR platform.
It allowed you to see VR objects as well as real objects (and people) at the same time via the use of their glasses and photo-reflective screens.

If it had been able to stay afloat CastAR would have been a HUGE game changer for simulators in general.
Here is a CastAR demo using a simple flight sim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3HGrclGkIE

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3HGrclGkIE)

What's the difference between Virtual Reality and Mixed Reality, and can you use Mixed Reality for flight sim?

Ian

strykerpsg
April 2nd, 2018, 15:20
Now several threads going on VR on other sim sites, but I like reading what others are running to enhance your home sim. My quest to replace my 17'' gaming laptop may go to the wayside as I didn't feel like lugging it during overseas travel. Searching online for a desktop to maximize the VR set up and bang for the $$$. After I purchased my TM Warthog, I realized I was serious about sims again, but not looking at any Level D full motion stuff.

After retiring 2 years ago (01 April to be exact), I too had lumbered around a purpose built gaming laptop during my last few years of service. It was indeed nice and able to run VR, but it was a bit heavy to lug around on my various TDY's and post Army trips, so I went with a Surface Book for travel/work and bought a dedicated desktop (Area 51) to run VR. What I found is that while the original laptop could handle OR/Vive without issues, I then lost the additional monitor support and peripheries such as my HOTAS would have to be run through a USB extension. Doable, but not ideal. Out of the box, OR headset requires an HDMI port and ideally 3 USB 3.0 ports, though will work with 1 x USB 3.0 and 2 x USB 2.0 ports. Even my current Area 51 struggles to maintain enough ports with HOTAS (2xUSB), rudder pedals (1xUSB), keyboard (1xUSB), mouse (1xUSB), headset (1xUSB), and Occulus Rift (3xUSB). As you can see, they stack up rather quickly. So, I offer you some new found advice since I just hooked it all up Saturday....buy a very robust desktop with lots of USB 2.0 and 3.0. They will definitely get eaten up rather quickly.

@wombat666, on the hunt now for my collection of 90s superbikes. I've got my ZX-7RR, looking for a 996/8, RC-51, and the rare R7 (a guy here in AZ has one, doesn't return my calls!). @strykerpsg I test rode the Diavel during launch and ever since, I ride the fleet on Ducati sponsored demo days as I did with this last one, even got on the Hypermotard! I used mil sales to get a HD bagger, but sadly my wandering eyes look back over to the sexy Italian at times.

I also test rode the Diavel before I left for Korea...very nice but bought the X Diavel S last fall. A bit different ride with your feet forward but has no issues taking a 40 degree lean in a curve. I would argue the power band is more responsive too as are the ergonomics a bit more refined over the Diavel. I love the XDS, but girlfriend hates the very small patch of a seat, so now considering either an HD or BMW's new K1600 B, which has very rakish lines and the nicer comforts of touring for two. I will get another K1300s as I think it was done very nicely, good compromise of speed, handling and comfort. I so wish mil sales sold non-US made models too, unfortunately, HD is all they have.

IanHenry
April 3rd, 2018, 00:01
With Virtual Reality, you only see and interact with things that are in the virtual space (world).
With Mixed Reality you see and interact with both the virtual space and reality.

One of the best forms of Mixed Reality I have see is with the (now defunct) CastAR platform.
It allowed you to see VR objects as well as real objects (and people) at the same time via the use of their glasses and photo-reflective screens.

If it had been able to stay afloat CastAR would have been a HUGE game changer for simulators in general.
Here is a CastAR demo using a simple flight sim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3HGrclGkIE

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3HGrclGkIE)

Thanks for the answer. Does that not make Mixed Reality a better option than VR?

Regards,
Ian

LouP
April 3rd, 2018, 06:49
Mixed Reality is Microsoft's name for vr. From what I read, the plan is to incorporate the real world into vr but at this point, there is no difference other than the name and sysrem requirements. The cameras on my Samsung Odyssey are used for tracking the wands which I don't even use while in the sim. I hooked up Leap Motion for that interaction. I am very happy with my Odyssey right now as the gauges are much easier to read vs. the Vive I returned. The setup for the Odyssey seemed a little more difficult but I went out and bought myself a new pc when I found out my cpu would not work.

LouP

IanHenry
April 3rd, 2018, 10:37
Mixed Reality is Microsoft's name for vr. From what I read, the plan is to incorporate the real world into vr but at this point, there is no difference other than the name and sysrem requirements. The cameras on my Samsung Odyssey are used for tracking the wands which I don't even use while in the sim. I hooked up Leap Motion for that interaction. I am very happy with my Odyssey right now as the gauges are much easier to read vs. the Vive I returned. The setup for the Odyssey seemed a little more difficult but I went out and bought myself a new pc when I found out my cpu would not work.

LouP

Thanks for that, so they are virtually:smug: the same!

Regards.
Ian

awstub
April 3rd, 2018, 16:20
Microsoft might be trying to associate the term with themselves for marketing purposes....but "Mixed Reality" (also "Augmented Reality") means exactly that.
It's an experience where you see and interact with both virtual objects ("Virtual Reality") and real objects ("Reality") within the same space (i.e. a room, building or world).
So, you could have a real space (a cockpit or room) where you can see and interact with virtual people or objects...or you could have a virtual space where you interact with real people and objects....and any other combination between the two.
The best way I can think of to explain it is to think of it like the movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", where you had real actors along with cartoon characters.

The CastAR system could have allowed people to create something akin to a Star Trek style "Holodeck". All that was needed was their glasses, some of their passive position sensors and a room with the walls, ceiling and floor painted with photo-reflective paint.
It was some truly amazing tech.....and they were planning to have it retail for less than $400. Hopefully some other company will license it and bring it to market one day.

LouP

Victory103
April 4th, 2018, 03:28
So if I'm about to pull the trigger on a desktop gaming machine runnig a GTX 1070, do I really need to worry about any fancy curved screens or 4K monitors if I plan on using VR? This machine will be 99% sim usage (P3D,DCS) and some productivity, I use my PS4 console for "shooters".

LouP
April 4th, 2018, 04:42
So if I'm about to pull the trigger on a desktop gaming machine runnig a GTX 1070, do I really need to worry about any fancy curved screens or 4K monitors if I plan on using VR? This machine will be 99% sim usage (P3D,DCS) and some productivity, I use my PS4 console for "shooters".

I can no longer see my triple 27" curved Samsung displays (feels like a waste) when in vr which is most of the time now. I also can not see my 7 Saitek panels though I feel for the multipanel to use the gear lever, trim, and flaps. The three radio panels pretty much sit there looking pretty. I do use them when I fly "pancake" as someone in another forum said but that's not too often now. A good set of controls are still in order, even with Leap Motion but if that gets refined some more even the controls won't be needed but I think that's a ways off yet.

Hope that helps. Happy to share my experience transitioning to vr.

LouP

greenie
April 15th, 2018, 03:51
I don't have VR but intend getting into it at a future date so I cannot make any practical comments but ...

As far as controlling and playing with vc switches etc has anybody mentioned "Fly Inside"

https://flyinside-fsx.com/

LouP
April 15th, 2018, 08:18
Flyinside is a must have for Flightsim vr as far as I am concerned.

LouP

DaveWG
April 15th, 2018, 09:05
I tried the flyinside demo. It does have its good points but I found it rather clunky in use. I prefer the native implementation myself.

Dangerous Beans
April 15th, 2018, 13:20
I tried the flyinside demo. It does have its good points but I found it rather clunky in use. I prefer the native implementation myself.

The problem with the native VR is that you cant use popup windows like GPS or even the ATC where as you can with FlyInside.
I also get much smoother framerates with FlyInside.

LouP
April 15th, 2018, 14:36
Yes, the interface is different but like everything else, you get accustomed to it. Plus you can import any program you want into the sim. I usually import little nav map and place it on the seat next to me or in my lap, just like a map. :-) Very cool!

LouP

kdfw
April 20th, 2018, 19:37

i have a 55" 4k with tir but ever since OR cv1, big one is not really a requirement. when flying tubeliners i'll take the rift off during cruise phase when it's boring and for programming the fmc, but otherwise rift is the main display flying low.

you ride a 1098? i love my red 848. it's a medieval torture rack in texas summers but it's an awesome machine.

Victory103
April 22nd, 2018, 02:39
Gesh kdfw, I think my regular living room LED TV is a 55"! I'll probably get a good, but not that large, screen for those days I decide to play "airliner". Still have my TIR, but takes getting used after laying dormant.

No issues on my 1098 in TX as long as I kept moving (running full Termi's), now I'll see how toasty it gets here in PHX. Probably ride early in the AM or just head to the hills!

Navy Chief
June 21st, 2018, 13:09
Well, it's finally going to happen.

Just ordered a new pc AND a Samsung Odyssey VR headset with two controllers. I have a feeling my simulation experience will be a new adventure for me, about one week from today. :encouragement: NC

Daube
June 21st, 2018, 15:05
Excellent choice ! The Odyssey is clearly the best VR headset currently available.
I had my first VR experience just monday night, with P3D v2.5, Flyinside, and a Lenovo headset. The resolution in that helmet is a little bit lower than the Odyssey, and screen is LCD instead of OLED.
Nevertheless, the experience was simply mind-blowing.
I got set up first for a flight out of Princess Juliana with Piglet's PC6, and just leaning on the left to look at the left wheel was something I cannot describe.
Then I went for an helicopter flight around the Innsbruck photoreal scenery by OrbX, and flying low and slow along the valleys up to the nearby glacier was just incredible.
It was with the H&S EC-135. The sensation I got on takeoff was already fantastic, but the strongest feeling was when I made the first turn with 30° bank... I thought I would fall off my chair :biggrin-new:

After that short sessions (2 hours....), I had to come back to my own computer, to fly P3Dv4 on a normal screen... and boy that was sad...
Needless to say, I have ordered a new computer yesterday.
Once it's there, I'll start looking for a VR headset.

Navy Chief
June 21st, 2018, 17:45
The only thing I will need to get, from what I understand from reading about it, is a new pair of prescription glasses with wire frames that should fit with the headset on. I will try the headset with my current U.S. military issue black plastic framed glasses, but have a feeling they may not be too comfortable with the headset. Will see. NC

Cirrus N210MS
June 21st, 2018, 18:13
i use the rift

scotth6
June 22nd, 2018, 06:05
The only thing I will need to get, from what I understand from reading about it, is a new pair of prescription glasses with wire frames that should fit with the headset on. I will try the headset with my current U.S. military issue black plastic framed glasses, but have a feeling they may not be too comfortable with the headset. Will see. NC

I'm not sure about that headset you are getting, but I know there are inserts you can get for the Rift and Vive. They should be available for the Odyssey as well.

Here is a youtube vid with some info. There are some links in the comments. For more info just google "lens inserts for samsung odyssey".

https://youtu.be/k_v8wP0716E

Cheers,

Dangerous Beans
June 22nd, 2018, 09:38
I'm not sure about that headset you are getting, but I know there are inserts you can get for the Rift and Vive. They should be available for the Odyssey as well.

Here is a youtube vid with some info. There are some links in the comments. For more info just google "lens inserts for samsung odyssey".

https://youtu.be/k_v8wP0716E

Cheers,

I agree with scotth6 Chief, if you can find someone that does inserts for the Odyssey get them, I have VR Lens lab ones for my Rift and they where money well spent.
I couldn't use the Rift for more than half an hour with my glasses on before they started cutting the blood flow to my nose off :)

Navy Chief
June 22nd, 2018, 13:22
I agree with scotth6 Chief, if you can find someone that does inserts for the Odyssey get them, I have VR Lens lab ones for my Rift and they where money well spent.
I couldn't use the Rift for more than half an hour with my glasses on before they started cutting the blood flow to my nose off :)

I haven't found any company yet, but am still researching this. Good news is I will have 30 days to decide if I like the Odyssey. If during that time, I don't, I can return them, no problem.

I did call Samsung. They won't offer any advice concerning wearing of prescription glasses with their headset. All the support guy would say was it was their only model, and no plans for anything else. That's all. NC

LouP
June 23rd, 2018, 18:36
Hey chief, I wear wire frame glasses with my Odysee all the time. Just be careful the first time trying the glasses in there as the lens in all the hmds are pretty soft and easily marked up. My regular glasses are a tight fit. Try it without your specs first as some folks who wear glasses don't need them in the vr headsets. Also be patient and give yourself time to get everything set up right. Lastly, I strongly suggest you get Flyinside, the version for the rift works just fine with the Samsung.

LouP

roger-wilco-66
June 23rd, 2018, 23:10
I've had experiences with VR headsets before, which were stunning, to say the least, but it was with shooters and demos only, and mostly not for a PC. I wonder about the click functions in the cockpit the flight sim. How well does that work? Are there any limits as far as angle and distance from a click spot goes?

The Odyssey seems like a good catch, but I also reckon that I live in the wrong country as far as most of my interests are concerned. The Odyssey seems hard to get here, and the offers I saw were horribly expensive and any guarantee options are in question.

Cheers,
Mark

Daube
June 24th, 2018, 00:05
Same problem here Mark, as the Odyssey is not sold officially in Europe...
That's why my brother went for a Lenovo instead...

Concerning the clicking, I would say it's pretty similar to what you would experience with a trackIR.
When I had the headset on, I couldn't see my controls, but I knew the mouse was standing just next to the throttle. Then it was easy enough to find it with my hand. From there, the mouse cursor would appear in the cockpit just like on a regular screen, and would react to any clickable item, with tooltip etc...

Granted, it is a bit more difficult to aim properly, as the view moves with your head... you must ensure you keep your head stable for a second so that you can click what you want. Same with a TrackIR I suppose. In tiny cockpits this is quite easy honnestly. When flying the Mustang, everything was easy to spot, read and click/scroll. When using a bigger aircraft though, it was more difficult, because buttons and instruments were further away and smaller. I had to lean my head in their direction to get them more readable and more clickable, but that was the only constraint.

Sometimes I needed several tries to get into the correct position for clicking. But in the end, that was a similar experience as in a car in real life, where I would look for something in the car, but only for half a second before bringing my head/eyes back to the road before trying again. It was the same going back and forth in a cockpit with a VR headset. Not the best usability, but not bad enough to alter the general pleasure.

Navy Chief
June 24th, 2018, 05:09
Hey chief, I wear wire frame glasses with my Odysee all the time. Just be careful the first time trying the glasses in there as the lens in all the hmds are pretty soft and easily marked up. My regular glasses are a tight fit. Try it without your specs first as some folks who wear glasses don't need them in the vr headsets. Also be patient and give yourself time to get everything set up right. Lastly, I strongly suggest you get Flyinside, the version for the rift works just fine with the Samsung.

LouP

I ordered wire frame glasses from Zenni. They are not expensive, but I have another problem. I wear bi-focals. So should I have just ordered the bi-focal part of the prescription, for close-up reading, i.e. computer vision? I have glasses just for that, which I am currently wearing. I guess it will be a trial and error thing.

Also, I ordered KlearKare lens protector film. I read from other forums that the film is completely transparent, and will protect the Odyssey lenses from being scratched. One other item I am probably going to get is a foam cover from VRCover. That is supposed to help as well. NC

https://vrcover.com/product/samsung-odyssey-foam-replacement/

Dangerous Beans
June 24th, 2018, 07:54
No Chief you a want prescription for normal use not reading ,you've ordered the right thing.

LouP
June 25th, 2018, 17:48
No Chief you a want prescription for normal use not reading ,you've ordered the right thing.

This is correct. I read the focal point for your prescription with VR should be four feet. The glasses I use were made for use when using the PC monitors and I require bifocals in everyday life.

LouP

Navy Chief
June 27th, 2018, 10:56
Well, a update of sorts.

I am going to see a optometrist next Monday morning to get a prescription for contact lenses, hopefully. If successful, that is the route I will go for using the VR Odyssey headset. Already ordered and received the velour replacement pad for it, along with the KleanKare lens protectors. All I need now are the contacts (hopefully my eyes will be a candidate for them).

I am keeping in mind what LouP mentioned about the "focal" point being 4 feet? I had messaged you, Lou, asking where you got that information? Anyway, wish me luck. I still have not received the new desktop system, and probably won't for at least another week. My current system, although not VR capable, is running strong. I have TrackIR, so it isn't like I am without enough "toys"!! NC:biggrin-new:

Just found some interesting calibration information for the Odyssey, which does NOT have a physical focal adjustment.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-calibrate-display-windows-mixed-reality

Navy Chief
June 28th, 2018, 13:35
I just tried using my neighbor's pc to try out the Samsung Odyssey VR. Holy crap, Batman! Awesome!!!! New pc arrives maybe next week.....:encouragement: NC

Daube
June 28th, 2018, 14:58
Well, I'm in the opposite situation: new PC is there, but I haven't ordered the VR headset yet :biggrin-new:
So you tried the headset without any contact lenses ? How was the view ?

Navy Chief
June 28th, 2018, 18:36
Well, I'm in the opposite situation: new PC is there, but I haven't ordered the VR headset yet :biggrin-new:
So you tried the headset without any contact lenses ? How was the view ?

In my situation, the view, although quite nice, was somewhat blurry. My glasses frames are just too close to the VR lenses. I am concerned my glasses will scratch those lenses. So Monday, when I see the eye doc, I will tell her why I am getting contacts. Hopefully she'll know what to sugggest. NC

Daube
June 29th, 2018, 00:35
Ah ok, I understand now.
And just our of curiosity, have you tried the headset without your glasses ?

Navy Chief
June 29th, 2018, 03:30
Ah ok, I understand now.
And just our of curiosity, have you tried the headset without your glasses ?

Yes. It is a little blurry. Text is not very clear; had to strain my eyes to read. Even though I only had the headset on for a few minutes, I ended up with a headache last night. My new pc should be here in a week. NC.

Navy Chief
July 7th, 2018, 05:34
Update:

Received my new Pc this past Thursday. Spent the last two days installing sims and add-ons. Finally, last evening, I figured out how to get my Samsung Odyssey to work with Flyinside and P3D.

Holy crap, Batman! :applause: I have never EVER experienced anything like this, except being in a real life jet!

Well worth the cost. And the pc I bought was through Ibuypower. Outstanding customer service. Originally, I had called Cyberpower PC, but the customer sales service rep was a real jerk. His attitude indicated he didn't want to help me at all, so I do NOT recommend them. But Ibuypower? Yes!

Am a happy Navy Chief!:biggrin-new:

jmig
July 7th, 2018, 05:54
I saw something the other day about a new inexpensive Oculas Go headset for something like $250, if I remember correctly. These things are getting so inexpensive, it is hard to NOT try one. :biggrin-new:

Daube
July 7th, 2018, 07:52
Be careful, I believe the Occulus go is not made for 3D games, but more like streaming videos or something like that... I could be mistaken...

Navy Chef, congrats on your new hardware.
Approaching a carrier with a Phantom, a Tomcat, or an old warbird like the Corsair, in a VR headset, must be quite something !
I could only make a quick test with the default FSX Acceleration Mustang, and the view from the cockpit was unbelievable.
I mean, I always flew from the virtual cockpit from the FS9 days, that's more than 15 years now. But with a VR headset ? It's like I never had a virtual cockpit in my planes ever before...

Dangerous Beans
July 7th, 2018, 18:49
I saw something the other day about a new inexpensive Oculas Go headset for something like $250, if I remember correctly. These things are getting so inexpensive, it is hard to NOT try one. :biggrin-new:

I believe the Oculus Go is basically the same as a Samsung Gear except dont need to put your phone in it.
Its just for mobile apps and has no head tracking.

DennyA
July 7th, 2018, 20:04
Yeah, Oculus Go isn't for PC/flight sims.

But you can get the Windows Mixed Reality headsets, which are about 95% HTC Vive compatible and work with all the sims that support VR for about $250 nowadays.

LouP
July 8th, 2018, 17:32
Update:

Received my new Pc this past Thursday. Spent the last two days installing sims and add-ons. Finally, last evening, I figured out how to get my Samsung Odyssey to work with Flyinside and P3D.

Holy crap, Batman! :applause: I have never EVER experienced anything like this, except being in a real life jet!

Well worth the cost. And the pc I bought was through Ibuypower. Outstanding customer service. Originally, I had called Cyberpower PC, but the customer sales service rep was a real jerk. His attitude indicated he didn't want to help me at all, so I do NOT recommend them. But Ibuypower? Yes!

Am a happy Navy Chief!:biggrin-new:

Glad it's working out. It's hard to go back to pancake flying after experiencing vr.

LouP