PDA

View Full Version : TargetCone

alcanallen
March 25th, 2018, 00:43
Gidday all! i`m wanting to reduce the size of the "TargetCone" in my CFS sim,is there a way?
Thanking in advance.
alcanallen.

MajorMagee
March 25th, 2018, 04:06
Gidday all! i`m wanting to reduce the size of the "TargetCone" in my CFS sim,is there a way?
Thanking in advance.
alcanallen.

By default there is an empty entry in ViewUI.xml for the Target Cone, so I suspect that it's hard coded. I tried adding the size and scale commands, and neither one had any effect.

The Target Cone itself is a 3D object with its own m3d file, so perhaps a new one could be created in gmax that is sized differently?

sdsbolt
March 25th, 2018, 07:55
Yes Major, that would work

mongoose
March 25th, 2018, 10:44
I know Ted has looked at using the cone with respect to adapting it for Nachtjagd radar but making a new model. I believe it's not that easy; other than maybe changing it to use for the same purpose. He may have a basic model though.

gecko
March 25th, 2018, 11:40
Very curious about the results of this experiment.

mongoose
March 25th, 2018, 11:49
There was some talk here.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/104540-TAC-Displays-HUD-gauges-and-brackets?highlight=

MajorMagee
March 26th, 2018, 04:32
Just ran an interesting (and weird looking) experiment. I replaced the targetcone.m3d with a couple of different ones from the vehicle folder. The ground mounted 50 cal mg, and a sherman tank. The MG appeared on screen at about 1.5" tall, and the tank was 3.25". So we know that substituting a new m3d is a workable solution to resizing the target cone image, and it can be any shape you like.

NachtPiloten
March 26th, 2018, 09:40
I made several different "cones" and yes they are simple m3d files. You can make any object you want and serve as an indicator, just not sure what we would want to use to "point" to a target. be careful now on your suggestions, young children read the threads...just saying

mongoose
March 26th, 2018, 11:29
:biggrin-new::jump:. Very funny Ted!

re "Oh, found all the files and stuff I used just have way too many things in the mix - maybe I should listen to the wife and retire???:jump:" the last; I assume you mean from your job, not CFS3.:wiggle: The dark side is strong!

Andy had me really excited til I noticed it was a simulation> Well I thought that was what CFS3 is.

MajorMagee
March 26th, 2018, 12:42
Sorry, that was done with Photoshop, and not gmax.

NachtPiloten
March 27th, 2018, 04:33
Ok, here is an idea. :dizzy: Since the cone is a m3d file lets make three "cones" in one model and texture them so that we have a azimuth, elevation and range display. Hear me out.

Since pure black makes objects "disappear" or even parts of an object, texture three objects to display in limited views. If you take an object and say texture all the sides black except say one side then when that object rotates it will display less and less or more depending the angle it has rotated to. For example if you wanted azimuth, you texture 4 sides of a cube black and the two sides say some way. As the cone rotates only the sides will display. And for elevation texture all sides of a cube black except the top and bottom and the same should hold. As the cone points up the top side shows and as it points down the bottom displays. Range, well I have no idea except has Major has suggested maybe a circle that has a texture that feathers on the edges and is solid only when dead behind the target. Just and idea. This is similar to the gun solution I developed just instead of limiting the movement of a gun, you texture objects to display a certain way.

Off to educate the minds of the masses! That means off to to the ivory tower of academia!:banghead:

Ta Ta:encouragement: