PDA

View Full Version : Milviz 737-200 Combi

Aircanuck
March 24th, 2018, 10:49
Hello fellow simmers,

Looking for a "CP Air" texture for this ole girl .... anybody come across one in their travels ?

Cheers for now.

fliger747
March 26th, 2018, 10:29
I thought that there was one when we developed this project? I'll have to look back through my stuff, but my memory on this is dim as I was mostly trying to make it fly by the numbers. The 200 was sort of a sports car of airliners, we went into all sorts of "interesting" places.

T

Skyhawk18
March 26th, 2018, 14:24
I thought that there was one when we developed this project? I'll have to look back through my stuff, but my memory on this is dim as I was mostly trying to make it fly by the numbers. The 200 was sort of a sports car of airliners, we went into all sorts of "interesting" places.

T

Well I don't think there were any CP Air livery. I was thinking of painting one (but I never finished that project).

fliger747
March 26th, 2018, 15:18
They were CP, a very iconic tail in North Western Canada! Those Combi's were a real workhorse in the Bush Country!

warchild
March 26th, 2018, 16:44
Didnt that also come with a gravel kit??

fliger747
March 26th, 2018, 18:51
Yes the planes that I flew had the gravel kit, which was first test flown by Wein Air Alaska at Fort Yukon.

The kit mostly consisted of a "nose ski" which damped down the gravel spray from the nose wheel and a probe in front of each nacelle which used bleed air for vortex dissipation.

T

warchild
March 26th, 2018, 19:48
Yes the planes that I flew had the gravel kit, which was first test flown by Wein Air Alaska at Fort Yukon.

The kit mostly consisted of a "nose ski" which damped down the gravel spray from the nose wheel and a probe in front of each nacelle which used bleed air for vortex dissipation.

T

Heh.. Lucky guess on my part..
Thanks Tom ..
Pam

fliger747
March 26th, 2018, 22:11
The PITA part on the nose "ski" was that it reduced the gear speed to something like 190 knots, the gear was a great drag brake, especially for the famous high dive emergency descent. Also for slowing down to approach speed approaching the outer marker.

warchild
March 26th, 2018, 23:22
I coukldnt imagine what flying that was like, but ive been on something similar to that emergency decent. The first time was when i was in the military and we were coming into portland at night. We had just topped Mt Hood when the pilot put us into a nose down dive. I think we all thought we were going to die.. the second time, we were over atlanta and we hit an air pocket. People, bags food and drinks all flew up in the air and we KNEW we were gonna die.. That was one very scary landing..

johndetrick
March 27th, 2018, 04:26
The PITA part on the nose "ski" was that it reduced the gear speed to something like 190 knots, the gear was a great drag brake, especially for the famous high dive emergency descent. Also for slowing down to approach speed approaching the outer marker.

You would have been impressed by the DC-8 with the thrust reverse's out. If i remember correctly from a Douglas bulletin on the subject, during the high dive maneuver the descent rate was in the neighborhood of 9000 fpm. Anyhow the VSI was pegged at 6000fpm.

fliger747
March 27th, 2018, 07:24
Not sure why but we never had to practice the high dives in the 747 sim events even though we would on occasion venture up to 45,000'. For some "overseas airlines" that inadvertently stalled and inverted the aircraft at high altitude putting the gear down at any speed (hell with the gear doors) seemed to be an effective panacea. Talk about a plane with huge and effective control surfaces!

T

stearmandriver
March 27th, 2018, 10:06
Hey Tom,

Who did you fly the -200 for? My current operator flew the "mud hen" for years, though that was a little before my time. I would have loved to see some of that flying though... though the current arctic and SE route structure is still plenty rewarding on the current fleet.

PhantomTweak
March 27th, 2018, 10:25
You would have been impressed by the DC-8 with the thrust reverse's out.
On a few trips with my father on the Stretch-8, he was a UAL pilot and made Captain when I was still pretty young, I saw that. Amazing the deceleration even just the Number 2 & 3 reversers could provide. All the passengers would wind up a bit more forward in their seats when he used them during a descent. :adoration:

The '8s were his favorite plane. He just loved to fly it, and was sad when UAL retired it. He did thoroughly enjoy the 737, though. He flew the 737 like the Navy planes he flew when he was a Flight Instructor. Flew SNJ's in the Navy :D
I witnessed some very interesting landings in what he called the Minipig (737), especially when he was in a hurry at the end of a day full of commuter flights.

He never flew the 747, though he never told me why he didn't want to. I don't think he liked all the new automation they installed in it. He loved to fly, not push buttons. Never much cared for the 727 either, and never flew it very much, although he did retain his currency in it, even when assigned the 737.

Sorry, I ramble...
Pat☺

Bjoern
March 27th, 2018, 12:29
I witnessed some very interesting landings in what he called the Minipig (737), especially when he was in a hurry at the end of a day full of commuter flights.

Friday afternoon, return leg. There is only one needle on the ASI and it's red and white.

fliger747
March 27th, 2018, 16:34
I flew the 737 100-200-300 and 400, 747 100-200-300-400, Intercontinental dash 8 and the Dreamlifter.

I flew the 737 series for Markair, an Alaskan company, and the 747's for Atlas.

The 747 was and is a wonderful plane to fly, very smooth and responsive, crushingly fast and capable. I would always hand fly it to altitude and a real performer. Taking off from Sydney to go to say Hong Kong or Shanghai, 10-11 hrs flying, not much cargo, but still a lot of fuel, we could climb to 41,000' in 11 minutes. In the current, and especially overseas atc environment the modern navigational equipment not only reduced our workload, it was essential. Flying today is not just a matter of accurately piloting where you want the plane to go, it also has to go where they want it to go, with great precision.

Flying complex SIDS and STARS in the steam gauge needle ball airspeed 737-200 could be very challenging! I think I have seen 172's as well equipped as some 100-200's I flew.

johndetrick
March 28th, 2018, 04:29
On a few trips with my father on the Stretch-8, he was a UAL pilot and made Captain when I was still pretty young, I saw that. Amazing the deceleration even just the Number 2 & 3 reversers could provide. All the passengers would wind up a bit more forward in their seats when he used them during a descent. :adoration:

The '8s were his favorite plane. He just loved to fly it, and was sad when UAL retired it. He did thoroughly enjoy the 737, though. He flew the 737 like the Navy planes he flew when he was a Flight Instructor. Flew SNJ's in the Navy :D

He never flew the 747, though he never told me why he didn't want to. I don't think he liked all the new automation they installed in it. He loved to fly, not push buttons. Never much cared for the 727 either, and never flew it very much, although he did retain his currency in it, even when assigned the 737.

Sorry, I ramble...
Pat☺

Having flown both the DC-8 and the B767, while I liked the ease of operating the 767, DC-8 holds a special place in my heart. After 14 years as a PFE on the Jurrassic jet and 2 flying the DC-8 as an FO, I really appreciated the stoutness of the classic Douglas design. It demanded constant attention and a lot of thinking ahead of the airplane. It demanded real hand flying piloting skills versus being an aircraft manager now. In the sim with the DC-8 if one was utilizing the autopilot too much it would mysteriously become inop. After trying to reengage the autopilot a few times a little voice from the instructors station would proclaim " Quit trying, it won't work." With the newer aircraft the autopilot is used extensively. I had a captain on the 767 bitch the whole time on a 4 hour flight and return that the autothrottle was inop. How times have changed when one has simply manually move two thrust levers!

Bjoern
March 28th, 2018, 05:33
Reliability issues apart, how good or bad were the autopilots in the old crates (Sperry 50/150)?

Whenever I read about irritations caused by less than perfect response or precision of a virtual rendition of these mechanical Ottos (that not caused by any bugs in the programming), I just think that maybe armchair pilots are too spoilt when it comes to autoflight.

johndetrick
March 28th, 2018, 10:18
They weren't that bad. They could hold altitude and heading. And when coupled to the FMS, they could fly the box quite nicely. They could do a coupled ILS down to Cat I minimums. Of course no VNAV was available, and every non precision approach was hand flown and of the old dive and drive variety.

fliger747
March 28th, 2018, 10:42
There are still times when ya just have to be still able to fly the plane, well! There is a tendency for many operators to get everyone to rely on the automation, especially in Overseas operators that the countries do not have a large pilot resource to draw from. I remember it was considered a bit of a miracle years ago when a China Airlines FO actually landed the airplane when the Captain became incapacitated.

Congestion of the ATC environment and pace of arrivals etc have made a precision of flight necessary that was unavailable before GPS and FMS systems. With a modern flight director set up properly you CAN fly with such precision but at the expense of less concentration on the goings on around you. Not to miss or misinterpret ATC instructions for one! They sometimes come rapid fire in an accent you might have difficulties tuning your ear to.

It's still fun, just sometimes not as fun as the "good old days".

Bjoern
March 28th, 2018, 13:54
Thanks, guys.

My favourite (and the most fun) mode of the old Sperrys is IAS/Mach Hold. Great for climbs, decents and for initiating cruise if you don't have charts.

fliger747
March 28th, 2018, 18:32
We most often used a constant airspeed then constant mach climb then cruise, same for descent. In the FMS birds a mode called Flight Level Change in climbs set the selected climb thrust and maintained speed via pitch. Hand flying one could pretty well keep the speed in the climb accurately by following the flight director pitch. Both the 737 and 747 with their underslung engine pods required very little trim to no change on level off because of the thrust reduction.

In the non FMS birds planning descent was a little more of an art, but one bolstered by experience. In effect a rule of thumb of three miles forward to each thousand feet of descent till 10,000', which was usually planned to be at 250 knots 30 miles out. With wind entered, possible icing, speed, weight and all the other stuff the MS would figure out the descent path, implemented as a VNAV descent.

The little combi's were a lot of fun to fly and we went into all sorts of places, in all sorts of conditions.

: )

n4gix
March 30th, 2018, 15:02
Now that I have fixed the last two squawks on the C310R Redux Service Pack release, I'm truly hoping Colin will let me get back on getting the B737-200C ready for Prepar3D v4.2... I miss the old gal... :adoration:

ceo1944
March 30th, 2018, 15:27
Now that I have fixed the last two squawks on the C310R Redux Service Pack release, I'm truly hoping Colin will let me get back on getting the B737-200C ready for Prepar3D v4.2... I miss the old gal... :adoration:

I really miss it too Bill! Looking forward to you getting back on it.

Dutch

scotth6
April 1st, 2018, 11:34

Oh... Yes please!!!

Luckily I still have FSX still installed so do visit "her" from time to time. It's really fun to fly in VR.