PDA

View Full Version : How to use Tacpack?

Navy Chief
March 20th, 2018, 17:34
I had Tacpack for FSX, and recently bought it for V4. Still do not understand how to use it though.

Take for example Dino's great S-3, which is Tacpack enabled. I have configured Tacpack for my Trigger and Pickle controls, etc.... I am able to add ordnance to the S-3, and see them loaded, etc...

I select the Master Arm switch on the S-3 Left Console. I can see the ordnance load reflected on a screen on the fwd cockpit display.

But how do I drop the ordnance???

NC

jmig
March 21st, 2018, 03:12
That depends on the aircraft, Chief. Usually, you have to turn on the Master Arm then select the ordinance you wish to use. Most are released using the Pickle. If you are using an aircraft that has some sort of automatic release, it can get more complicated.

I hope this helps and I didn't just preach tot he choir.

Navy Chief
March 21st, 2018, 04:02
That depends on the aircraft, Chief. Usually, you have to turn on the Master Arm then select the ordinance you wish to use. Most are released using the Pickle. If you are using an aircraft that has some sort of automatic release, it can get more complicated.

I hope this helps and I didn't just preach tot he choir.

Hi John,

No, you're not preaching to the choir; I just have not determined how to select the ordnance from within the cockpit. I am able to select Master Arm, and the ordnance is indicated on-screen in cockpit but switches do not appear clickable. NC

docjohnson
March 21st, 2018, 05:11
Master Chief, in the docs folder there is a pdf file S-3B_FSXA_VNATOPS.pdf in chapter 9 has all the info for the tacpack:

TACPACK FUNCTIONALITIES AND BASIC
WEAPON OPERATION
This S-3B rendition offers a very limited and very simplified set of tacitical functionalities. Real life
weapon system of the S-3 is much more complex and most of its functions are either not supported
or there were nor resources available for its simulation. At the time of writing following
features are implemented:

- A store station configurator to load / unload ordnance and other payloads from the aicraft.
- Release of unguided ordnance (dumb bombs and rockest)
- Release of guided ordnance (limited guidance functionalities, see below)
- ECM (both on-board Jammer and decoys)
- Integration with Tacpack generated Navaids (carriers or tankers)
- In-flight refuel

9.1.1 KEYBOARD COMMANDS
When in virtual cockpit mode, following keyboard functions are assigned:

Control + A : Master Arm switch toggle

Shift + Control + W: Weapons reload (can be
done anytime in single player, depends on host
settings in multiplayer)

Shift + Control + 1...6: Weapon station selection
(port to starboard: W5, 1, 2, 3, 5, W6)

Shift + k : ECM Arm switch toggle

J : Sets ECM to Jammer mode

F: Sets to ECM to Decoy mode, and if ECM is
armed, release a single Flare

C: Sets to ECM to Decoy mode, and if ECM is
armed, release a single CHAFF cartridge

Shift + Control + N: Night Vision Goggles

I : Extend/retract

Control + D : Fuel dump switch

W : Weapon bay door open / close

Shift + C : Flir/MAD Boom extend

Note: The key settings above will overwrite FSX settings even if you do not have Tacpack installed.

9.1.2 TRIGGER / PICKLE SETTINGS
Trigger and pickle have been set as follows:
- Tigger fires forward firing weapons
- Pickle releases all other ordnance

NOTE:
A major difference from the real thing is that all the ordnance selected will release simultaneously, whereas in the real thing each depression of the button releases only one weapon. To fire a weapons, Master Arm switch must be on, and the relevant store station shall be selected.

9.2 STORE STATION CONFIGURATOR

Shift + 4 invokes a store station configurator.

User can choose the desired load for each station – it will be immediately loaded onto the aicraft if it is allowed in the current session (otherwise it will be loaded on the next reload occasion)...more on the next page ...

Navy Chief
March 21st, 2018, 13:25
Doc,

You are the man! Thank you so very much!!! I will check this out soon and report back with screenshots...I hope! NC :very_drunk:

Oh, and thanks for the "promotion". I never made it past E7. Refused to work certain areas of the squadron, i.e Quality Assurance and Maintenance Control. I knew my stress limits, and wasn't about to put myself in that briar patch. I was good at what I did (Line Div. CPO). Was always #1 CPO in the command, but because I didn't get the "checks in the blocks" for QA and M/C, I never made it to E8, etc... But I was happy being a "lowly" CPO:applause: NC

Corvette99
April 7th, 2018, 08:51
Very nice Doc, thanks from the boys at MFC !

docjohnson
April 8th, 2018, 11:59
Just doing my good deed for the day... :)

Dino Cattaneo
April 10th, 2018, 23:28
....sorry I had not seen this post earlier!
Anyway, yes, each aircraft has its own weapon system which operates in different ways. As for the S-3, in order to fire a weapon, apart from the Master Arm, you also need to select a station and open the weapons bay, if the weapon is in it.