PDA

View Full Version : Red Arrows Crash

IanHenry
March 20th, 2018, 10:31
An Red Arrow's Hawk crashed at RAF Valley today. The pilot ejected but sadly the engineer on board died. RIP

Ian

speedy70
March 20th, 2018, 16:47
Ian,
Engineers do not usually travel in the Hawks of the red arrows.

I understand they were on their way home to Scampton from Valley and I expect the engineer was getting a lift home to Scampton.

So your remarks would be better that AN engineer died not THE engineer died.A very sad day for the arrows my condolances.

Please no speculations till the report is released.

Cheers Chris

PS The second rear seat in a hawk can be occupied by a navigator but the red arrows aerobatic team are flown single from the front cockpit.

Ganter
March 21st, 2018, 01:46
A very sad loss for The Arrows.
My understanding of SOP's is each aircraft has its own Engineer who travels in the back seat when enroute to and from displays and practise sessions. There's a great YouTuber who's an Engineer with the Reds and has posted some great vids of his rear-seating during practise sessions.

This guy here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlpUvTzRGyg

All in all a very sad day indeed. Thoughts and prayers for his family and fellows.

IanHenry
March 21st, 2018, 03:44
Ian,
Engineers do not usually travel in the Hawks of the red arrows.

I understand they were on their way home to Scampton from Valley and I expect the engineer was getting a lift home to Scampton.

So your remarks would be better that AN engineer died not THE engineer died.A very sad day for the arrows my condolances.

Please no speculations till the report is released.

Cheers Chris

PS The second rear seat in a hawk can be occupied by a navigator but the red arrows aerobatic team are flown single from the front cockpit.

Chris,
I'll have to disagree with you on this one. It's regular practice for the Red Arrows engineers to transit with "their" aircraft (they always wear a Blue flight suit), also the rear seat of a Hawk is not equipped for a navigator, it has dual controls, it is after all a trainer.

Regards,
Ian

speedy70
March 21st, 2018, 06:43
Hi Ian .
Yes indeed the engineers transit with the aircraft but the second seat is a navigators seat.My point was you said that "sadly the engineer died" as if he was always in the rear seat.If you had said an engineer died it would have been more accurate.
Anyhow this matter is sad enough as it is perhaps the best thing is to leave the matter.

Cheers Chris

scotth6
March 21st, 2018, 23:09
This is really sad news. My sincere condolences to everyone involved.