PDA

View Full Version : WTH (What The Heck)

jmig
March 17th, 2018, 14:12
I have for the past six months or so been watching the nVidia 1080Ti for a possible upgrade to one of my 980Ti graphics cards. The going rate has been around $800, which I thought was too high, considering the 980Ti works just fine. Well today, I went to Newegg to check prices. The 1080TI is now $1500!!!!

Thank goodness I don't NEED the card.

SeanTK
March 17th, 2018, 14:34
It’s due to a much increased demand in GPUs for cryptocurrency mining. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.digitaltrends.com/computing/gamers-should-mine-cryptocurrency/amp/#scso=uid_0JetWpL7OPLB_Qb-8IjABA_0:0

Dimus
March 17th, 2018, 14:36
I've seen that too. Apparently they have been very popular with people mining for bitcoin...:confusion: (Sean beat me to it)

I will wait some more until this madness blows off.

jmig
March 17th, 2018, 16:05
Yes, I will wait too. I don't NEED a new card. I just want one. :biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

Butcherbird17
March 17th, 2018, 17:47
Crypto mining is just a piece of the problem. The major contributor is the lack of memory. If you think gpu's
are overpriced take a look at memory prices. There are only 3 manufacturers of memory and right now the
demand for memory out weighs the supply. You can blame this on all the "Smart" stuff out there today from
cellphones to cars to even toasters.

If you want to get a new gpu your best bet is to buy straight from the manufacturer. If you go to the Nvidia
website you can get a Founders edition 1080Ti for $700 + free shipping. Now if you go through a board partner
(Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI) you will pay more but your also getting better cooling and most likely
(depending on the model) it will be overclocked straight out of the box. Going through a 3rd party vendor like
Amazon or Newegg where again the demand is higher than the supply it will be overpriced.

Joe

simondix
March 18th, 2018, 09:34
Just think if or when the bubble bursts in the bitcoin market there will be loads of cheap cards on the market. By then the next generation will be out so I have been told.

XLR8
March 19th, 2018, 14:11
YUP GPUs are just dumb stupid expensive! I bought a rx570 8gb 2 months ago and paid $320. Its now going for $750!

jeansy
March 20th, 2018, 04:53
as cpus come down gpus go up, honestly you cant say you werent expecting that, most games now rely on gpu rather than cpu

jmig have you thought about going SLI with a second 980 instead of a 1080

im running SLI with 980s and have extremely great performance, i would only be going backwards if i went to a single 1080

jmig
March 20th, 2018, 05:05
as cpus come down gpus go up, honestly you cant say you werent expecting that, most games now rely on gpu rather than cpu

jmig have you thought about going SLI with a second 980 instead of a 1080

im running SLI with 980s and have extremely great performance, i would only be going backwards if i went to a single 1080

Matt, I am more CPU bound than GPU. I run a 1080p projector. I run one GPU for the projector and the other for the touch screen displays that handle the instruments. I have never seen the GPU hit more than 35-40% usage. I will sometimes see the sim pause for a few seconds, I assume loading textures, before starting again. I don't know if that is GPU memory ( 4GBs) or system memory (16GBs) related.

A new 1080Ti would be one, to test the above memory pausing and two, as a pre-purchase toward a new system that I plan on building someday. I have been reading posts and articles on new CPUs and MBs for at least six months now. My system handles just about everything expect for the VRS F-18. That aircraft and Orbz regions (or big 3rd party airports) will bring the FPS down to 6-8 FPS when landing. That my friend makes for BAD landings, something that hurts my pride. ;)

expat
March 21st, 2018, 02:55
Well I picked one hell of a time for my GPU to give up the ghost! I just installed a GTX 1070 TI that set me back £535. I recall building whole rigs for under £600 not long ago! Great 60 fps performance in P3Dv4 though.