PDA

View Full Version : Ineed some information please.

XLR8
March 16th, 2018, 19:13
After years playing fsx (disk version) and now the fsx (steam version) I'm thinking real hard on getting prepar3d. The main issue I have with fsx (steam edition) is that many of the addons just don't work in the steam edition. But I need to knoe some things about prepar3d first. And there ain't no better place to ask than soh.

So these are a few of the things I would like to know.
1- I see there are different kinds of License to buy. How are these bought? Is it a one time purchase with re-downloads of it? Or is it monthly fees (micro transactions).

2-Lets say I have to reformat my PC or have to install a new HD. Is it possible to re-download and install?

3-I see addons all the time that say compatible will FSX/p3d. Does this mean aircraft and addon scenery can be used with it?

4- What License would I need for casual play simular to fsx?

If there is anything else I need or should know please tell me. Thanks.

paiken
March 16th, 2018, 19:43
Question #1...License is a one time purchase for the version you choose...1-4
Question #2...Easy to re-download and install on the drive of your choice.
Question #3...Aircraft can be version specific...check before purchasing or installing aircraft you may already have. Most if not all are compatible with versions 1 thru 3, and version 4 if there are not old (ie. FS9) gauges/effects. I haven't run across any scenery issues "YET".
Question #4...Your choice...I have the Academic version, which many, if not most users are currently using. If you wish you may pay the Developer monthly fee, but unless you're developing aircraft or scenery for P3D then just get the Academic license. If you want all the bells and whistles that the military use then get the Professional license.

XLR8
March 16th, 2018, 20:00
Thank you! What are these "all the bells and whistles that the military use"?

PhantomTweak
March 16th, 2018, 22:59
Just a quick note: I only use freeware, being deathly, and chronically, broke, but I don't think I've run into any add-on that doesn't work in SE, as long as it for FSX. FS9, yes, some stuff doesn't work in SE, but so far, scenery, airplanes, gauges, and so on all do fine.
The biggest trouble is auto-installers. They often have trouble finding SE, unless they're specifically written for it.
Good luck!
Pat☺

paiken
March 17th, 2018, 04:54
Thank you! What are these "all the bells and whistles that the military use"?
Here's a breakdown of each license...
https://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/prepar3d-license-comparison/

b52bob
March 17th, 2018, 06:52
Get P3D, you will be amazed at the difference.

Most payware has been upgraded for V4 and many freeware packages run OK. I also use mostly freeware as I am mostly destitute also.

No comment on the version to use but most use the academic.

XLR8
March 17th, 2018, 06:52
Just a quick note: I only use freeware, being deathly, and chronically, broke, but I don't think I've run into any add-on that doesn't work in SE, as long as it for FSX. FS9, yes, some stuff doesn't work in SE, but so far, scenery, airplanes, gauges, and so on all do fine.
The biggest trouble is auto-installers. They often have trouble finding SE, unless they're specifically written for it.
Good luck!
Pat☺
A good majority of my payware stuff from years ago still work. But a few of my favorite ones like the alphasim v-22 the razbam harrier and instant scenery and a couple of other (don't remember off the top of my head) don't work. The v22 and harrier won't hover and instant scenery just don't work (looking into it being a windows 10 issue or SE now).I see the Virtavia shows a v22 with steam support. Some are in the steam store but can't get a key from that dev. for it.

XLR8
March 17th, 2018, 06:55
Get P3D, you will be amazed at the difference.

Most payware has been upgraded for V4 and many freeware packages run OK. I also use mostly freeware as I am mostly destitute also.

No comment on the version to use but most use the academic.

So with the academic version, will my captainsim weapons work seeing the other version has military weapons built into it?

DaveWG
March 17th, 2018, 08:53
So with the academic version, will my captainsim weapons work seeing the other version has military weapons built into it?

No, CaptainSim Weapon won't work with P3dv4. For weapons in v4 you'll need TacPack (VRS (https://www.vrsimulations.com/tacpack.php)) or vACMI (SimSkunkWorks (http://www.simskunkworks.com/store/index.php))

For the V22, forget the Virtavia model, and download the excellent freeware model by Maryadi, with VSTOL code by Rob Barendregt: (https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/mv-22b-osprey-release-2-0.441890/). Be sure to read the instructions!

docjohnson
March 17th, 2018, 12:38
Get P3D v4, its worth it not to have micro stuttering and still have stunning scenery or a bunch of other issues. Other simulators (even the 64 Bit ones) fall down in certain areas, like limited coverage, limited selection of aircraft, etc. Most vendors and a lot of freeware developers are updating their work to 64 Bit so its one way to go from a future proofing investment. And if you're going to run any weapons capability you are going to have a better experience in V4 versus V3. I'm pretty sure you will be more than pleasantly surprised. And seeing that you're from my hometown and where my love for aviation started I wouldn't intentionally steer a homeboy (or homegirl) wrong!

rvn817j
March 17th, 2018, 13:33
If you are going to acquire a P3D version (i.e., spend $$), get the newest / "bestest"...get V4. Several of the aircraft included are great - Aerosoft F-16, Dino's F-35, Iris F-22, Milviz P-38 and others. There is also some great freeware ready for V4... Milton's Havoc and B-26. Lots of FSX aircraft work in V4 (too many to list quickly).

Remember, however, if you plan on getting TacPack for P3D V4 you MUST own the Academic License version of P3D v4. The makers of TacPack were not "allowed" to make TacPack for the Professional or Commercial version (or they may have another product for those versions).

There are some other add-ons that make the visuals better, but my response would become too long if I start on that.

XLR8
March 17th, 2018, 17:18
Been looking at the pd3 site. So far it looks like a good investment (seeing a couple of payware aircraft for FSX are more than the Academic License $59.00). But I got confused again...lol! If I buy the Academic License $59.00 does it not come with the newest version 4? Or I'm I looking at something different?

Sorry to be dumb about this, but it seems these game/software devs. have/will screw a person over these days. I'm a poor person to and most likely will have to save up the $59.00 up over the next 2-3 weeks.

DaveWG
March 18th, 2018, 00:04
The academic version will be the latest. All versions are kept up to date. The only difference between the academic and professional versions ( apart from licence requirements) is the academic has a small watermark in the top right corner of the screen.

XLR8
March 19th, 2018, 14:16
Sorry to ask more questions. From what I have read prepar is a optimized/better looking FSX. If this is true, are things like the controls key bind/controller work the same as FSX? Also are military bases/airports still in the game like Carswell? Thhanks.

falcon409
March 19th, 2018, 15:03
Sorry to ask more questions. From what I have read prepar is a optimized/better looking FSX. If this is true, are things like the controls key bind/controller work the same as FSX? Also are military bases/airports still in the game like Carswell? Thhanks.
P3D_V4.2 is far more than simply an optimized/better looking FSX. Forget FSX. . .the latest version of P3D is nothing like it. As for Carswell (where I was stationed for 22 years and retired from there in '07). . .Carswell was barely represented in FSX and that has not changed. Runway, taxiways, building placement, general layout is similar to the actual base, but it's not like you'll load up on the 301st ramp and say. . ."Yep, this looks just like it".

Daube
March 19th, 2018, 15:25
Prepar3D is indeed much more than "a better looking/optimized FSX", but still, this is the first impression you'll get. You'll quickly feel "at home", especially when it comes to configuring the options like key bindings, scenery library etc...
The main differences will appear in the graphics settings, with a bunch of new options that didn't exist in FSX.

Another word concering the licences: the Academic and Professional licences are "pay once and that's all". However, the Developper licence is a "pay each month".

Last remark, concerning the reinstallation: when you install P3D, you have to activate it (online) using a generated licence ID and password which are sent to you by email upon purchase. Once you have activated the sim, that licence becomes "unavailable" (I insist on the quotes) for any new installation.
This, in fact, simply means that you can activate only one installation of P3D. So for example, if you install and activate P3D on your home computer, you will not be able to install and activate it again on your laptop.

To make the licence "available" again for a new activation, you have uninstall your activated P3D (using the Add/Remove programs from the Windows control panel). This uninstall process will tell the LM servers that your licence is now available again for 1 activation.
Then you can install and activate P3D again anywhere else. Once. Until you uninstall it again. And so on.

The reason I mention this: concerning your question #2: if you plan to format and reinstall your OS and all of your programs, then you should FIRST uninstall P3D from the Windows control panel, to ensure your licence becomes available again for your reinstallation of P3D. If you fail or forget to do that, or if your computer dies before you have the time to uninstall, then you'll simply have to send an email to the LM support to explain the situation and ask them to make your licence available again.

XLR8
March 19th, 2018, 16:34
Thanks Daub. Thats actually what I needed to know. Not to scared about buying now. From the YT videos it looks really good! My PC won't run 4K, but does a real good job of 1920x1080 in most games. In FSX I have everything maxed out (with dsr settings at 38xxX1440).

I just got to get the wife to approve of the other half of the price!:couple_inlove:

Thanks again guys.

Daube
March 19th, 2018, 18:21
Glad I could help.
I confirm most of us went for the Academic licence, which is around 60 dollars if I remember correctly.
The process is quite simple: you buy the licence on the LM website, then you receive an email containing your licence ID and password.
Then, you use this ID+password to login to the LM website in the section "Downloads" (the fields on the left side):
https://www.prepar3d.com/purchased_downloads/

Once you're logged in, you'll see in the center the link to download the full package for P3Dv4.2. A rather big archive (12 GB or so).
However, just below that link, you'll find a line saying "+Download individual components" in bold black color. Click on it and other links will appear, to download smaller pieces of the sim, instead of one big unique archive.

If your internet connection is slow or unstable, I would definitely recommend you to go for the smaller downloads.

rcbarend
March 20th, 2018, 09:41
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/mv-22b-osprey-release-2-0.441890/[/URL]). Be sure to read the instructions!
+1 ... For obvious reasons .....LoL

Rob

XLR8
March 22nd, 2018, 07:21
Got it installed and up and running pretty much. Still have a few controls to tweak. But I do have a question. How do I get it in full screen? I have that border. Thanks.

rcbarend
March 22nd, 2018, 09:42
Got it installed and up and running pretty much. Still have a few controls to tweak. But I do have a question. How do I get it in full screen? I have that border. Thanks.
Does your question apply to Maryadi's MV22B Rel2 ??
If so:
Not sure what you mean by "I have that border".
Setting full screen works the same as any other aircraft ....

Rob

XLR8
March 22nd, 2018, 10:21
Got it in full screen now.