PDA

View Full Version : Milton Shupe B-26

Tom68
March 11th, 2018, 09:21
Just found this aircraft, it looks wonderful. Thanks Martin!

However, I am having an issue with it. I cannot start it. I can with ctrl-E, but not on my own. I carefully watch what controls ctrl-e operates and I can't see anything different that I'm doing or not doing.

When I hit start, the props spin, but then quickly stop. It doesn't sound like there's any combustion either, just whirring props for 2-3 seconds.

Oh, I have FSX sp2.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Milton Shupe
March 11th, 2018, 09:53
Just found this aircraft, it looks wonderful. Thanks Martin!

However, I am having an issue with it. I cannot start it. I can with ctrl-E, but not on my own. I carefully watch what controls ctrl-e operates and I can't see anything different that I'm doing or not doing.

When I hit start, the props spin, but then quickly stop. It doesn't sound like there's any combustion either, just whirring props for 2-3 seconds.

Oh, I have FSX sp2.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom,

Open your aircraft.cfg with Notepad;
Find the Piston_Engine section;
Change this statement to what I show here:

normalized_starter_torque =0.13347

SAVE (not SAVE AS) the changes.

Tom68
March 11th, 2018, 13:17
Thanks for the quick response. But I checked and its already set to that.

MrZippy
March 11th, 2018, 15:40
Thanks for the quick response. But I checked and its already set to that.

I think, IIRC, I found that using the middle scroll wheel on my mouse instead of clicking on the switch gave better starting results. I just give a little roll to the wheel, not push on it to click.

Tom68
March 11th, 2018, 15:56
Still the same.

Is there possibly something I missing, like some switch I need to throw or a setting someplace?

It acts as if there's no fuel or spark. It just spins for 10 seconds or so with coughing, spitting, or anything. Just a nice clean whirring sound, like a starter motor.

I've tried every combination of primer, generators on/off, fuel pumps on/off, throttle/mixture/props all over the place. With ctrl-e it starts quickly, quicker than the 10 seconds of "whirring" I get.

It flies quite nice when I use ctrl-e.

Milton Shupe
March 11th, 2018, 16:24
Still the same.

Is there possibly something I missing, like some switch I need to throw or a setting someplace?

It acts as if there's no fuel or spark. It just spins for 10 seconds or so with coughing, spitting, or anything. Just a nice clean whirring sound, like a starter motor.

I've tried every combination of primer, generators on/off, fuel pumps on/off, throttle/mixture/props all over the place. With ctrl-e it starts quickly, quicker than the 10 seconds of "whirring" I get.

Tom,

To determine if its starter torque, bump that number up to .35. If it starts, you know that's it.
If not, then its likely fuel is off.

If .35 works, you can then work that number down toward .13 until it fails to start.

Seems all the sims want something different. FSXA likes the .13 just fine here.

gaab
March 12th, 2018, 15:02
Still the same.

I had a similar problem with the Harpoon. My default flight had the fuel selectors to all closed.
You could check with this gauge.

In case you are in the same situation, see https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/109494-Lockheed-Harpoon-Ventura-and-Lodestar-Native?p=1131273&viewfull=1#post1131273

Roger
March 12th, 2018, 15:14
Tom68, I've changed the thread title to "Milton Shupe B-26" which is correct name.

MrZippy
March 12th, 2018, 15:45
Tom68, I've changed the thread title to "Milton Shupe B-26" which is correct name.

Darn! I was getting set to start calling him Marty. I guess Milton will do nicely.:wavey:

Tom68
March 13th, 2018, 03:23
"Tom68, I've changed the thread title to "Milton Shupe B-26" which is correct name."

Oops, thanks! I'm embarrassed. So sorry Milton.

The torque setting didn't work. It seems to be spinning quick enough. Doesn't seem to be getting fuel or spark; I'm a bit of gear-head I restore classic cars for my other hobby and if this was a car, my immediate reaction would be fuel or spark.

I'll pursue gaab's advice, but I don't know where to find the default flight file. Is there a fuel cutoff switch someplace in the cockpit? I searched and can't find it.

Oh, and when I crank the engines, the oil pressure starts coming up, but the fuel pressure does not. And I do turn the fuel pumps on and can hear them running.

Milton Shupe
March 13th, 2018, 05:11
"Tom68, I've changed the thread title to "Milton Shupe B-26" which is correct name."

Oops, thanks! I'm embarrassed. So sorry Milton.

The torque setting didn't work. It seems to be spinning quick enough. Doesn't seem to be getting fuel or spark; I'm a bit of gear-head I restore classic cars for my other hobby and if this was a car, my immediate reaction would be fuel or spark.

I'll pursue gaab's advice, but I don't know where to find the default flight file. Is there a fuel cutoff switch someplace in the cockpit? I searched and can't find it.

Oh, and when I crank the engines, the oil pressure starts coming up, but the fuel pressure does not. And I do turn the fuel pumps on and can hear them running.

Tom,

Sounds like the fuel tank selector switch is in the OFF position.

EDIT:

Sorry, I did not include fuel management in the beta version.

If you use the proper key sequence to start, the tanks will be turned on for you.

Cntrl+shift+F4 (turns on battery, set fuel tanks to all)
Cntrl+F4 (sets prop pitch to fine)
Cntrl+e to start (or use the starter switches)
Cntrl+e again for the second engine (or use teh starter switches)

MrZippy
March 13th, 2018, 05:33
@Tom68

I think Milton is spot on with a fuel problem. I just tried mine and by just turning on the battery and maybe 1 click of the primer switch and 1 click of the starter switch= engine running.

My curiosity runs to your "default flight" What aircraft did you use to set up your "cold and dark" situation? Do you actually fly your default flight or use it to set up other flights? I don't do that on my planet. I consider it a scared cow.....mooo!

Tom68
March 13th, 2018, 06:49
I think we're on to something there. I'm not sure which default flight I used, it was problem one of my C-47 flights; and those I setup with everything off even fuel shut offs.

I'll try setup a flight cold and dark with fuel shutoffs on and see what happens. I'll post the results later today.

Thanks again for all the help.

And Milton, thanks again for the B-26, it is a pleasure to fly.

gaab
March 13th, 2018, 09:15

<Keys>
<On Event="TOGGLE_PRIMER1">
1 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_ALL) </On>
<On Event="TOGGLE_PRIMER2">
1 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_2_ALL) </On>
@</Keys>

You can insert my "trick" in any gauge that is used in the virtual cockpit. I always select the shortest one (here OXY Press in MS_Havoc) !

Gérard

Tom68
March 14th, 2018, 03:56
I believe I've got it working.

I started a new flight, cold and dark, but all fuel tanks enabled. Starts fine now.

Thanks for all the help.

I wasn't very clear. A new flight using a different aircraft and made sure to turn all full on and then saving.